2.1 Create a home directory
- create a new directory as your home directory (unix-style commands will store here their configuration files),
for example: c:\home
- add set HOME=c:\home to your autoexec.bat (don't forget to restart windows!)
3. LinCVS/CrossVC frontend
LinCVS is a free GUI frontend for CVS. You can download it from lincvs.org.
4. TortoiseCVS frontend
TortoiseCVS is a free Windows Explorer integration for CVS. You can download it from tortoisecvs.org.
5. WinCVS frontend
WinCVS is a free GUI frontend for CVS. You can download it from wincvs.org
(it include a working version of CVS).
5.1 WinCVS configuration
- General/CVSROOT= :ext:firstname.lastname@example.org:/cvs
- General/Authentification: SSH server
- optional: if you created ssh identity keys set RSA identity to your
- optional: Globals/TCPIP compression to 9 (recommended)
- Ports/Alternate rsh name: ssh
- WinCVS/Home: your home directory
- ! important: if you don't use ssh identity keys
you will need to type your password in the black console window that appear when you activate a CVS command
6. SSH identity keys
Creating those keys allow you to access Dragonfly server without typing your password every time.
6.1 Creating SSH identity keys
- ssh-keygen -trsa -fdragonflycvskey -C email@example.com
(from your local computer, you should now have two files .dragonflycvskey and dragonflycvskey.pub
in your .ssh directory)
- Check if the remote machine has a .ssh directory
if not, then create it:
chmod 0700 .ssh
- copy public identity file to dragonfly server: cat dragonflycvskey.pub | ssh firstname.lastname@example.org "umask 077; cat >> .ssh/authorized_keys" (from your local computer)
Now you can try to login with ssh -l username cpgnuke.com and you shouldn't be asked for a password.
For more information regarding dragonfly access and ssh identity keys read SSH Keys and CVS/Shell Accounts at Sourceforge.
6.2 Using the same identity keys under Linux and Windows
Just copy dragonflycvskey and dragonflycvskey.pub in .ssh
subdirectory of your home directory on your local machine (from Linux partition
to Windows or from Windows partition to Linux).
! Important: if you have copied identity keys from Windows partition
to Linux don't forget to set access mode to 600,
otherwise they will not work. (chmod 600 .ssh/dragonflycvskey*)
7. More CVS/SSH information
7.1 SourceForge documents
7.2 General CVS information