--- documentation/INSTALL.txt:1.5 Tue Oct 12 18:34:21 2004
+++ documentation/INSTALL.txt Sat Oct 16 18:55:44 2004
@@ -4,68 +4,70 @@
Please use our new HTML documentation, found in the /documentation
folder within this directory
+- - -
+PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY. IF YOU DO THIS,
+YOU WILL HAVE YOUR SITE UP AND RUNNING IN JUST A FEW MINUTES.
-In order to install CPG-Nuke, you'll need the following:
+In order to setup CPG-Nuke, the following prerequisites are necessary:
- * A web server (Apache prefered)
- * PHP 4 or higher (4.3.x prefered)
- * MySQL 4.0 or higher
+- A Web Server ((Apache prefered http://www.apache.org)
+- PHP version 4.3.x or higher (http://www.php.net)
+- MySQL 4.0 or higher (http://www.mysql.com)
This doesn't mean that CPG-Nuke won't work with other configurations,
operating systems, sql servers, etc, but we only provide install
instructions for the above configuration. In fact, CPG-Nuke works under
Windows (all), FreeBSD, OS/2, MacOS, etc
+Setup of these required packages is beyond the scope of this document and if
+you are unsure you should check with each of the appropriate web sites for
Installing the Package
--> If you are going to upgrade your website start at step two...
+If you are going to upgrade your website start at step two...
+If you want to run a CVSWeb read the CVS.txt documentation carefully before you
+install our CVS bundle onto your website
+1) Create a new database, for example, 'cpgnuke': mysqladmin create cpgnuke
+ OR add a database through your web control panel.
+2) Edit the file "config.php". Change all the fields until you are happy with
+ the changes and they fit the need of your web site. Give special attention
+ to the database configuration section. When you have finished editing
+ config.php, save it.
--> If you want to run a CVS website please read CVS.txt before you
- install our CVS bundle onto your website
+3) Now upload all content from the /html directory to your webspace.
-1) Using your MySQL database administration tool (ie: phpMyAdmin),
- create a new database. Name it anything you want, for example,
-2) Edit the config.php file found in the /html folder. Change all of
- the fields until you are happy with them and the changes fit the need
- of your site. Pay close attention to the database configuration
- section, using the information provided by your host
+4) CHMOD the following file to 622:
+ - cpg_error.log
-3) Save your changes to config.php and then upload all files from the
- /html folder to your webspace
+5) CHMOD the following directories to 777:
+ - cache
+ - modules/coppermine/albums
+ - modules/coppermine/albums/userpics
+ - uploads/avatars
+ - uploads/forums
-4) CHMOD the following file to 622:
+6) In your web browser go to http://mydomain.tld/install.php
+ The setup will install/update your database.
- * cpg_error.log
+ After the database is created you will be prompted to insert additional
+ information and, if it's a new install, to create the super user account.
+ Create your super user following the on-screen instructions.
-5) CHMOD the following folders to 777:
+7) Login following the admin link (http://mydomain.tld/admin.php)
- * /cache
- * /modules/coppermine/albums
- * /modules/coppermine/albums/userpics
- * /uploads/avatars
- * /uploads/forums
-6) Head to http://www.mydomain.tld/install.php, where you will be
- presented with our magical auto-installer, which will guide you
- through the installation process. Using the installer, you will
- install the necessary database, configure basic settings for your
- site and create your first administrator/user account
-7) Once you have finished the installation process, login to your
- administration menu, through http://www.mydomain.tld/admin.php.
- From here, you will be able to configure the remaining settings for
- your site, and administer your new CPG-Nuke powered website
+ Now click on "Main Settings" and change whatever you want to fit your site
+ info. All the options you need to change are in the Settings menu.
-8) It is important that you remove install.php and the /install folder
- after you have successfully installed your site
+8) After installing, delete install.php and the /install directory!
Testing the Installation
@@ -73,18 +75,18 @@
Go to your homepage, for example:
To login as administrator:
- This will give you full administrator privileges to your
- installation of CPG-Nuke
+ This will give you full administrator privileges to your installation of
- Remember to logout from admin after you use it. From this area you
- can delete or add content on your site, so never leave your computer
- without logging out from the admin account
+ Remember to logout from admin after you use it. From this area you can
+ delete or add content on your site, so never leave your computer without
+ logging out from the admin account.
We recommend the use of MySQL-Front or phpMyAdmin. Those are good
administration systems for MySQL databases.
@@ -101,33 +103,42 @@
- That's it! Just navigate around, play with it, abuse it and if you like
-CPG-Nuke, use it. Spend some time getting used to the administration
- To change your site's logo, go to the /themes folder and make a custom
-logo for each individual theme. Just navigate around all themes and
-change the graphics you want
- We removed quite a few modules from the CPG-Nuke package and put them
-in a directory called add-ons. You'll find the Journal, Web Links,
-Downloads and a few others in there. It's very easy to install them.
-Just copy the contents of whatever module you want to install to your
-root directory. For example, to install the Downloads add-on, copy the
-contents of the /add-ons/Downloads directory /admin, /blocks, /images,
-/modules) to your root directory. Log in as admin, then activate the
-module. That's all there is to it! Your module is now ready to use. Any
-blocks that come with the add-on are also now ready for use. Add them
-the same way you'd add any other block
-PS: When you e-mail us asking something, just remember that we receive
- A LOT of e-mails a day! We don't answer, but for sure we'll read it.
- Your best bet is to visit the forums at www.cpgnuke.com/Forums.html
- and post your questions there
+ That's it! You're done with CPG-Nuke. Just navigate around, play with it,
+abuse it and if you like CPG-Nuke, use it. Spend some time getting used to the
+ To change your site's logo, go to the /themes directory and make a custom
+logo for each individual theme. Just navigate around all themes and change
+the graphics you want.
+ We removed quite a few modules from the CPG-Nuke package and put them in
+a directory called add-ons. You'll find the Journal, Web Links, Downloads and
+a few others in there. It's very easy to install them. Just copy the contents
+of whatever module you want to install to your root directory. For example, to
+install the Downloads add-on, copy the contents of the /add-ons/Downloads
+directory (/admin, /blocks, /images, /modules) to your root directory. Log in
+as admin, then activate the module. That's all there is to it! Your module is
+now ready to use. Any blocks that come with the add-on are also now ready for
+use. Add them the same way you'd add any other block.
+ A note for the CPG-Nuke site's administrators: Only admins can view the
+ following data in the site:
+ - Administration Menu
+ - Number of New Submissions
+ - Edit button for each link in Web Links
+ - Edit and Delete options for each Article
+ - Delete option for each comment
+ - IP/Host address of the comment poster
+ - Moderation option and button (if set for admin only)
+ - and MANY more...
+PS: When you e-mail us asking something, just remember that we receive A LOT
+of e-mails a day! We don't answer, but for sure we'll read it.
+Your best bet is to visit the forums at www.cpgnuke.com/Forums.html and post
+your questions there.
-** A special thank you to all those people who have helped with the
- project can be found in CREDITS.txt **
+** A special thank you to all the people who have helped is in CREDITS.txt **