Support ⇒ Requests :: Archives ⇒ module update reminder :: Archived ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum IndexRequests

Archived ⇒ module update reminder

WebSiteGuru wrote
I know what you mean, a way to have it locally notified you that you have a new version that you had uploaded to your server (let say a few days back when you had to ran out and forgot to come back to it) When you come back a few days later and login to the Admin panel and go to manage you modules you see the [*] instead of [.] that tells you that you had not run the upgrade option yet.

correct. Mr. Green
Its just some people took it as "an update is avaiable" like myndworx has.

.::..::.

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
Linux/2.2.6/5.0.86/5.2.8/9.3.2

Yep I understood that as well. The point was this is not a good way of doing this. Other cms like Mambo etc are far easier to upgrade modules.

The point I was making was that the whole upgrade modules, blocks and themes need to be have a work over to make it easier for new users etc.

myndworx modules are the way I think a lot of people would like to see happen then added onto this automatically installing the module.

The central place for these third party is a question where is it the downloads on this site or third party site.

Why cant you instead of downloading the module and then ftp it up to your site then clicking on the module and as you said remember to do the upgrade why not as admin you upload as in Mambo the zip file and it automatically installs.

That comes back to going to a set of standards that 3rd part modules, blocks and themes need to adhere to.

FreeBSD neptune 4.9-RELEASE - Apache 10333100 / MySQL 4.0.18 / PHP 4.3.10 / CPG Dragonfly 9.0.6.1

Now, If I understand you right. You want to be able to install the upgrade to the module remotely from the server that have the module for download. It will required the update service and remote installation in place for everyone of those servers that pushing out the module that they created.

That will also required that the 3rd party modules to be complient and have the same code for update service.

Lead Theme Designer - WebSiteGuru Designs

Linux 2.6.9 / Apache 2.2.6 / MySQL 5.0.27 / PHP 5 / DF Version 9.2.1

bigern75's [*] idea - excellent.

mobileguy's install from a zip idea - also excellent, since some users have a great deal of trouble copying files correctly. This would simplify installs greatly and reduce support requests a lot.

Any sort of remote upgrade service / version alert -not good at all. Personally, the first thing I'd do is turn this off - I want to choose what happens to my site and I don't want it updating in the background nor bleating at me every time I log in. How many of you Windows users have the update service switched on?

Secondly as a module developer, I don't really want to support remote automatic upgrades / alerts for my modules. If CPG want to do it from this site from an upload I make fine (well, maybe fine although bug fixes after a version update would annoy folks a lot) but I don't have the resources for a MS Windows type update service and nor do I particularly want to be tied to someone else’s just to release modules.

Please enter your server specs in your user profile! 😢

I like bigern75's idea too. And installing from a zip file is good. I definately like both idea.

Lead Theme Designer - WebSiteGuru Designs

Linux 2.6.9 / Apache 2.2.6 / MySQL 5.0.27 / PHP 5 / DF Version 9.2.1

I think I will clarify.

1. Update service should not be a automatic upgrade - should be notfy only. like myndworx update service - says there a upgrade. Should have a option to notify you on or off - manual process not automatic.

2.0 On the Modules admin page it should say if there is a updated module avaiable.

So above two ponts in the admin page would need 2 lines per module

line 1
Active MReviews Reviews All Visitors Left Set as Home :: Uninstall

line 2
Latest update installed - install latest update - New update Available click here for more info ( would link to download page either at dragonfly.org or developer download page.) and of course a update option

3.0 The update needs to come from a central place - I would like to think thats for modules, blocks and themes that would be in the download section of this site prob renamed not downloads but a I dont know 3rd party applications or Main Repository Page.

4.0 the new files where ever they come from are in zip or rar format - you download this one file to your PC. As in Mambo in the update module you click on the zip file it automatically uploads and installs it correctly.

5. That would mean modules, blocks and themes must adhear to a standard be fully tested and approved by dragonfly.org before being made avalable

I just would like to see the upgrading modules looking smartier and easier for all of us.

FreeBSD neptune 4.9-RELEASE - Apache 10333100 / MySQL 4.0.18 / PHP 4.3.10 / CPG Dragonfly 9.0.6.1

There is more options for doing upgrades, I agree. With a zip, telling you while in the admin of the module, doing a download from the dev's site.
And some, err, most people cant seem to upload correctly or have a connection interuption and the upload goes bad. All the other upgrade options would be fine and dandy.
Im just so damn busy anymore that I will upgrade a module and forget to go in and hit the upgrade link. I just need a little reminder. I guess when I start getting sql error emails, that might be a clue to. Very happy

Biggles' latest hack: www.dragonflycms.org/F...rt=60.html

adds an upgrade link on the admin modules page, as well as some other cool stuff Smile

Linux/1.3.33 (Unix)/4.0.22-standard/4.3.9/DF 9.x

run0 wrote
Biggles' latest hack: www.dragonflycms.org/F...rt=60.html

adds an upgrade link on the admin modules page, as well as some other cool stuff Smile

doesnt work with cvs 9.1.0.8 tho Sad

I like it

-Dustin

Celebrity Babes | Celebrity Videos | Funny Videos | Information for Men

Linux/Apache 1.3/4.1.21/5.2.1/9.2.0.RC1

Before someone can work on that the new 9.1 df_inst.php files need to have a final draft and fully working. Why? To prevent module usage and such, there must be a better version detection algorythm like "system dependencies" (linux RPM/DEB users know what i mean)

Fedora 25 / Apache 2.4.27 / MariaDB 10.1.26 / PHP 7.1.10 / Mercurial