Support ⇒ Requests :: Archives ⇒ bigger better - more complete forms? :: Archived ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum IndexRequests

Archived ⇒ bigger better - more complete forms?

hi Smile

i have long wondered why a cms like DF does not have a more complete data-capturing method.

i propose that DF should have a "questionnaire" similar to any big publishing house that gives away free subscriptions to its trade magazines. DF publishers should be able to collect Info from users who volunteer their data, about:
age,
d.o.b.,
gender,
phone/fax/mobile
street address, city, state, zip, country
occupation,
household income bracket, etc.
and preferences such as:
hobbies,
leisures,
and interests, etc.
this should all be part of what a DF site could collect.

this should also be setup with a "loyalty" module that links the user's loyalty with rewards, so that there is an incentive to give only real, valid data - the same way airlines, shops, bands and fans setup loyalty-rewards programs.

i also think that a DF admin should have the ability to ask these essential profile questions at any stage in the relationship between the user and the site -- and not just at the intial signup phase. after all, who gives up more than required at sigup?

it would be smart to be able to choose which questions get asked at signup, and then to allow the admin to ask the registered users any of the remaining questions at intervals or in emails, to collect info in an easy and simple fashion, in a way that would not burden the user, or provoke them to fill out false data. after all, a good publisher wants only good data on his users. and to do that, trust must be established over time.

if you are a developer who can do this but don't know which question to ask, simply point your browser to cmp.net or zd.net or adage.com and sign up for their magazines online ... you'll see a plethora of great questinos that are sorely lacking on DF at present.

i beseech you, o DF developers, evolve this great software by letting us gain real value from it.

cheers,

duffbeer

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
FreeBSD6.2Stable: Apache2.2 gd enabled, mysql 4.1.14, php4.4.6, DF9.0.6.1 // Slack10: Apache1.3.81, gd enabled, mysql 4.0.20, php4.3.7, DF0.9.030

You can already do most of this...

Administration -> Members -> Fields

Matthew Burpo Media & Designs

Linux/2.2.11 (Unix)/5.0.67-community/5.2.6/DFCVS

Yeah but I see what he's getting at.

Adding fields has some drawbacks. They don't *sit* right in the profile page.

You have to add in breaks or paragraphs to get the to line up correctly and even then, it's iffy at best.

Add in ALL those *default* basic data questions into the core list and then most of what a person would add in would be formatted correctly, whether or not they turned the stuff off.

The other thing it's missing is the radio button capablity, which I hope will exist in time.

[ Linux / Apache 2.2.8 / MySQL 5.0.45 / PHP 5.2.6 / CPG 8.2b - 9.3.4.1]

Yea... I had to go in and pull off some code changing myself...

thanks but ...

i don't see how even if i use that "Administration -> Members -> Fields" thing, i'd be able to ask the users to just fill in 1 or 2 or 3 fields at a time on any given day that i want them to consider volunteering that info.

i would never want to ask all the info at once (because who the heck ever offers so much info at once???), except maybe i'd ask the whole list once a year on "membership renewal" cycles, where the users could just "reconfirm all" or "Edit my settings".

FreeBSD6.2Stable: Apache2.2 gd enabled, mysql 4.1.14, php4.4.6, DF9.0.6.1 // Slack10: Apache1.3.81, gd enabled, mysql 4.0.20, php4.3.7, DF0.9.030

You can set the new fields to be visible - optional/required or hidden... There's a lot of versatility with what you already have in front of you.

Or... You could write your own module or have it written...

Actually... I'll tell ya' what... Do you know of any other CMS that has something like this? I'll take a stab at it. Smile

the only other CMS's that i know of that had this kind of thing built-in were all written in visual basic and pascal back in the 90's. i have not worked "in an office" since then. been publishing independently from home since then.

as for the versatility , yeah, i'm very aware that DF is very flexible on some things, that's partly why i like it so much, not to mention the other great reasons. Smile

but again what i think is key is to be able to "survey" the users with just 1 - 3 questions at a time .. any more than 3 questions at a time and you're likely to end up with a lot of junk. plus, i'd want to thank the responding users by giving them "loyalty points" every time they reply to a survey. not as an incentive (cuz that leads to false data fill-outs) but as a thank-you, that later can translate into cool gifts, like entries to a sweepstakes, extra discounts on members-only deals, tangible goods, etc.

if u want to take a stab at it, that would be SO great! if u need me to send u a list of questions to include, i'm happy to do it.

Yea, I'll try to swing something for you. I won't be able to start on it for another week and a half tho... I'm making a trip from Indiana to LA in a week and won't return home until early morning on the 23rd. I would go ahead and start now, but that big break would make me forget some things that I'd done or were in the process of doing. Smile

Do you mean something like phpSurveyor (http://phpsurveyor.sourceforge.net/index.php) for Dragonfly. I shall port this in 3 weeks time as I want it for my own site Smile I can give it to you when done if you want.

Luke

Get your User Bars here

FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE-p27/Apache/4.0.22-standard/ 4.3.10/CVS + My MODs

loonyluke - yes i looked at phpsurveyor and considered its feature list... i (and i'm sure other indie publishers), would love to be able to send the people using my DF sites "surveys" of just 1 - 3 questions that they can quickly answer each time (if for whatever reason they do not fill out their profile fully upon registering for the site), and add their answers cumulatively over time to refine their overall profile data. and then i'd re-ask the questions annually in a big survey, just like large trade publications do with their subscribers.

this survey-collected info should be added to their DF user data, or at least linked to it in a usable way.

i hope i'm being clear in what i'm trying to get done Smile

cheers,

duffbeer

When I make it for my site it will be just the survey part and not link to the user (unless a question is: What is your user ID?, then it would be) There would be an option to allow the form to be filled in without registering/anomounsly. Maybe the features you want could be made optional, but that is not a priority.

Luke

Get your User Bars here

FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE-p27/Apache/4.0.22-standard/ 4.3.10/CVS + My MODs

The feature list of PHP Surveyor sure does look impressive !
Would be marvellous to have something like that implemented into DF. But from the last post date I assume that not much progress has been made on this project Sad

Linux 2.6.17.8/MySQL: 4.1.22/PHP: 4.4.8/DF: 9.2.1.1

Yes, what the status on this being bridged or ported to DF?

Just looked at the edogspro survey for 8.X Cpg-nuke and not sure how long it would take me to port to Df.

ontopic: Anyways how bout an update for us!

OS/Apache/Mysql/php/9.2.X/