Support ⇒ Requests :: Archives ⇒ IP lookup information for banned IPs :: Archived ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum IndexRequests

Archived ⇒ IP lookup information for banned IPs

When a user is banned automatically (or manually) in the security admin area, it would be nice if you were able to simply click on the IP address to learn out more information about the IP. Things like:

General Info:
www.arin.net/whois/

whatever... I know there are a lot of web-based lookup tools out there that can provide a lot of good information out there. I thought there was one already on dragonfly, but the only one I could find was the IP addresses logged to user's posts in the forums and simply resolving the IP to a hostname. However, I remember a different interface that used to give a whole bunch of info based on an IP address.

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
Debian Linux/apache 1.3/4.0.23_Debian-1-log/4.3.10-2/9.0.6.1

The "extra info" place you previously used
most likely now redirects to www.domaintools.com

Even if the devs coded a link into the CMS admin GUI
to pop a browser window, append your target IP to the quesrystring of a "lookup" URL... whatever works today will likely be busted tomorrow, or next week.

The registrar industry has been busy inventing new ways to "monetize", so pretty soon I expect we'll have to pay a fee to have access to "extra info". The situation is already close to that eventuality.

What the registrars have been doing:
-- sell (or give) "privacy protection" to domain registrants
-- keep historical records of domain changes
-- show meaningless (privacy-protected) current whois contact info
-- charge a $20-$30 "document fee" to protected registrants in the event that the registrar accepts/forwards a mailed piece of correspondence to protected registrant

and now they're selling "subscriptions" to people interested in "seeing through the smoke". Pay a fee and you can lookup domain info, INCLUDING historical records.

Even if you register a new domain and opt to have "whois protection" from the outset, they apparently rig the process so that the "protection" involves an extra step. In other words, for each domain registration there's brief initial window where the "true" owner's contact info is exposed... and the registrars constantly poll this data, so regardless which registrar you register through, they ALL have access to your registration info. In 2005, there was a big "I registered through GoDaddy with a distinct email address... and immediately began getting spam" bruhaha; I read the transcripts from 2 ICAAN seminars where GoDaddy rep stated "it's not us, but clearly someone else with access to the info is making use of it..."

DragonflyCMS version 9.1.1.0

insaner wrote
I remember a different interface that used to give a whole bunch of info based on an IP address.

different interface?
There's a link in the Dragonfly "Who-where block" which leads to an arin.net lookup and shows the full whios record.

DragonflyCMS version 9.1.1.0