General ⇒ $this->Website :: Archives ⇒ Why No Support At Times? :: Archived ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum Index$this->Website

Archived ⇒ Why No Support At Times?

I've been helped lots since I joined over a year ago, but I also find that many times when I ask a question, I get zip...nada...no replies. I get lotsa views but rarely do I get answers with issues. While there aren't many topics posted that get 0 replies, mine generally get none.

I was just wondering if I'm asking stupid questions, because I do thorough searches prior to posting.

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
Apache/1.3.34 (Unix)/MySql 5.0.27-standard-log/PHP 5.1.6/DF 9.1.2.1

*Rarely?*

Diagon Alley - Top Design

Linux/1.3.37/4.1.21-standard/4.4.4/9.1.1

20% to be precise - the lack of response is usually associated with mod requests that most others in the community either aren't interested in, or have no experience with.

DonationsPro for DragonflyCMS & SMF

It can feel like that when you don't get a response to what you want, what you have to remember is that although this is a large site there are only really a dedicated few giving out support in there free time, if they had the time to do everything we asked they would.

Have a look at my new chat home: www.worldwidechatters.com
Looking for hosting www.caltonhosting.com

Bluefin221 wrote
... if they had the time to do everything we asked they would.

'Cept we'd ask for more! Wink

But your sentiment is entirely right. We are all very grateful for the few who plug on helping out the rest of us. And we should be grateful too. This site would be a lost cause without them.

The rest of us need to try and help out with the load by answering more of the questions where we can...

Pro_News CM™ - Content Management for Dragonfly CMS™

Linux / 1.3.39 - 2.4.9 / 5.5.42 - 5.6.16 / 5.4.37 - 5.5.11 / 9.4

I can only speak for myself, but reasons I don't reply to posts are usually one of the below. Most of these are probably not Chris' problem, but I list them all in the interest of thoroughness.

1. We aren't all experts in every single aspect of Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP/Windows/IIS. Not to mention the addons those platforms can run like image manipulators, security modules, and whatever else. Not also to mention the possible configurations (and misconfigurations) of all those things. Besides knowledge there is the problem of having an environment to test in.

2. We aren't even all totally well-versed in the entirety of the DF codebase, which is quite large and filled with stuff. And it must interact with all of 1. above.

3. While my google-fu is quite strong, there are many occasions where I just have to give up and tell myself that someone who knows more about xyz will come along.

4. I can't understand the post. I probably should reply with something along the lines of "What." but I don't wish to seem rude.

5. Unhelpful errors. "Xyz doesn't work plz help." Well, again, I should probably reply with "What does 'not work' mean" but I can only do that so many times in a day before it begins to wear on me.

6. The poster is asking for a custom app/theme/whatever to be built. For free. And then gets mad when no one jumps on it. Enough said about that, except I often actually do blocks since they're easy (except when it's gaming related, see 7. below).

7. As Phoenix said: "either aren't interested in, or have no experience with." That's gameservers and everything related to them, for me.

Basically, I spend about 2/3 of the time on here answering posts, and the other 1/3 reminding myself that it isn't my personal responsibility to reply to each post, and there are other staff.

Here are some things you can do to get your post answered better and faster (again, this is not directed at Chris the OP who far as I know does these things, but for anyone in general):

1. Fill in server specs, keep them up to date.
2. Fill in www link, keep it up to date.
3. Say what page of your site the error happened on. If it's not the same site in your www link (many people have multiple sites) post a link.
4. Turn on debugging and if there were no errors, say so. If there were errors, post them.
5. Search first obviously, but a lot of people don't know what to best search for so that doesn't bother me much.

sarah wrote
I can only speak for myself, but reasons I don't reply to posts are usually one of the below. Most of these are probably not Chris' problem, but I list them all in the interest of thoroughness.

1. We aren't all experts in every single aspect of Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP/Windows/IIS. Not to mention the addons those platforms can run like image manipulators, security modules, and whatever else. Not also to mention the possible configurations (and misconfigurations) of all those things. Besides knowledge there is the problem of having an environment to test in.

2. We aren't even all totally well-versed in the entirety of the DF codebase, which is quite large and filled with stuff. And it must interact with all of 1. above.

3. While my google-fu is quite strong, there are many occasions where I just have to give up and tell myself that someone who knows more about xyz will come along.

4. I can't understand the post. I probably should reply with something along the lines of "What." but I don't wish to seem rude.

5. Unhelpful errors. "Xyz doesn't work plz help." Well, again, I should probably reply with "What does 'not work' mean" but I can only do that so many times in a day before it begins to wear on me.

6. The poster is asking for a custom app/theme/whatever to be built. For free. And then gets mad when no one jumps on it. Enough said about that, except I often actually do blocks since they're easy (except when it's gaming related, see 7. below).

7. As Phoenix said: "either aren't interested in, or have no experience with." That's gameservers and everything related to them, for me.

Basically, I spend about 2/3 of the time on here answering posts, and the other 1/3 reminding myself that it isn't my personal responsibility to reply to each post, and there are other staff.

Here are some things you can do to get your post answered better and faster (again, this is not directed at Chris the OP who far as I know does these things, but for anyone in general):

1. Fill in server specs, keep them up to date.
2. Fill in www link, keep it up to date.
3. Say what page of your site the error happened on. If it's not the same site in your www link (many people have multiple sites) post a link.
4. Turn on debugging and if there were no errors, say so. If there were errors, post them.
5. Search first obviously, but a lot of people don't know what to best search for so that doesn't bother me much.

DITTO! Can some one nail this to the sticky? Wink

You had nail this one on the head, Sarah. not worthy

(Adding to 6.)
6.1. Requesting FREE custom theme especially if you only wants it for yourself is far OFF impossible for a Theme Designers (IF ANY) to comprehence and that they will jump on to it right away. No no no No no no No no no Especially when the requester said "Oh YEA! I will donate to you for support" and to have Theme Designers trust that the requester will do so is Floor laughing . (hence! I personally myself been promised that so many time, and still have NOT seen a penny from anyone.)

Lead Theme Designer - WebSiteGuru Designs

Linux 2.6.9 / Apache 2.2.6 / MySQL 5.0.27 / PHP 5 / DF Version 9.2.1

Please know that I appreciate all the help I've received here, and had I not gotten help, I would still be scratching my head. I did not want to step on any toes, and I do realize that it's all free support. I just wanted to throw that out there because of a couple of what I thought were generic questions that several others would know the answers to.

Again, I apologize if anyone was offended with this post, and most of those who replied to this post have indeed assisted me in the past. For that I am grateful.

You have no need for apologies - it's a quite legitimate query Smile

You also give back to others and that's a big plus.

Thanks Phoenix. I have a great respect for you and many others here, and yes I do offer my assistance whenever I can. Thanks again.

Phoenix wrote
You have no need for apologies - it's a quite legitimate query Smile

You also give back to others and that's a big plus.

Agreed with Pheonix on this. Everyone ask question all the time. But sometime the same question (that shouldnt be asked) keep repeating itself. And you can only answer it so many time until you just get tired of answering it, that's all.

FOR EXAMPLE!
(IE: Why right blocks are missing?)

We all at one point (me included) had asked those questions before. It is not your fault or anyone in that matters.

For what it is worth, my response was not intended as any kind of a rant, and especially not one against Chris. I just thought it might be helpful to provide an honest answer to the question. Smile

sarah wrote
For what it is worth, my response was not intended as any kind of a rant, and especially not one against Chris. I just thought it might be helpful to provide an honest answer to the question. Smile

That's what you did, I also gave the honest answer to Chris question as well. Not putting anyone down just a response to the question.