Dragonfly CMS v9 ⇒ Gamers Modules & Blocks :: Archives ⇒ Generic guild bank? :: Archived ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum Index Modules & Blocks Gamers Modules & Blocks ⇒ Archives

Archived ⇒ Generic guild bank?

Hey everyone. Just wondering if anyone knew of a generic guild bank module or something that would work in DF. I know there is one integrated in the WoWRoster thing, but it's not for WoW. It's for the upcoming LoTRO game.

Any tips would be helpful.

Please enter your server specs in your user profile! 😢

I would love to see something like this. Also some kind of roster list other than the roster master that works with eq2.

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
Redhat/2.0.50/4.1.21/4.4.7/9.2.1

FSHSchmo wrote
I would love to see something like this. Also some kind of roster list other than the roster master that works with eq2.

There is only Roster Master. The Computer says so, and The Computer is your friend. Can you doubt The Computer? Doubting The Computer is treason.

Seriously though, what's wrong with Roster Master? Or is the issue you need a LotRO roster, and RM4DF, which is EQ2-only, isn't going to cut it?

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Ubuntu 12.04, Atom D525/Apache 2.2.22/MySQL 5.5.38/PHP 5.3.10/Dragonfly 9.4.0.0 CVS

darkgrue wrote
FSHSchmo wrote

Seriously though, what's wrong with Roster Master? Or is the issue you need a LotRO roster, and RM4DF, which is EQ2-only, isn't going to cut it?

Oh nothings wrong with it Im sure, it is just for EQ2. Would love to see some generic version that the user inputs the memebrs and such instead of it pulling from a gaming website.

Redhat/2.0.50/4.1.21/4.4.7/9.2.1

Does Lotor allow in game addons and if so does it also allow data gathering. Cuz wowroster has been built around the use of in game addons which gather all the needed guild/char/bank data which is then parsed and uploaded to the roster. From what I remember the roster master does not require addons due to eq not allowing them so they have found a way to conenct to the eq2 servers to populate there data( and correct me if I am wrong). I know from being on the wowroster.net dev team that we have thought about making one of the new versions of roster allow multi games using a modular design, but this would also require a new addon parser for each game which would require the game to allow data gathering via addons in game.

cwells.net | FC7/Apache2/MYSQL5/PHP5/9.2
secret-order.us | FC7/Apache2/MYSQL5/PHP5/9.2RC
wowroster.net | FC8/Apache2+lighttpd/MYSQL5/PHP5/9.2

FC/Apache2/MYSQL5/PHP5/9.2

FSHSchmo wrote
darkgrue wrote
FSHSchmo wrote

Oh nothings wrong with it Im sure, it is just for EQ2. Would love to see some generic version that the user inputs the memebrs and such instead of it pulling from a gaming website.

Yeah, it's a common complaint about Roster Master, that it isn't universal. Unfortunately, there's not much of a way around that. The parser for screen-scraping the roster data is (relatively speaking) fairly complicated, and has to be specific to the game. That the data structures and DB schema follow from that is also natural. Adding facilities to manually manage or enter the roster data would actually complicate the programming an order of magnitude (not to mention make it a lot less fun for the end-users and admin because of all the constant data entry).

Making the roster universal would also kill off a lot of the features that made RM4DF so successfull - the quest tracker would die, or have to become vastly more complicated in order to support the myriad different quest structures/patterns and quests for different games (I'm toying with updating the quest trackers just to better support EQ2's more complex quest series - that feature really wouldn't scale since other games do quests differently, or differently enough). The signature maker could be rewritten, sure - it already has a lot of flexibility now; but a lot of the fancier options with that are based on officer/class relationships that don't exist in other games. Even though Vanguard and EQ have similiar services fronting thier games, porting RM over to them would still be difficult since there's little or no communication internally making those services consistent (or even work as advertise - the EQ2 boards are rife with criticism of SoE web services - including the paid ones - which don't work, don't work consistently, or have been "coming soon" for years).

A super-generic application would be pretty neat, but each change doesn't just marginally increase the amount of effort, it goes up by orders of magnitude. For a fun hobby project, that sounds too much like work to me (and only a fool would pay me my hourly rate to work on RM). I don't make any money or benefit in any way from RM4DF - except in three ways: I get to keep an oar in the water by doing some programming, I get the enjoyment of participating in an enthusiastic user community that use the software, and I benefit from using the software myself. The last one's kind of important, since it would be pretty much impossible for me to justify the amount of time and effort I put into it if I didn't use what I was producing myself. Altruism only goes so far when you have limited resources (time).

My best suggestion for folks looking for "generic" game roster managers would to look at ports or porting roster managers for games like Counterstrike or Battlefield that don't have online roster services. I would imagine that they are generic enough that with little or no modification they could serve the purpose and easily support customization to a particular game. It'd certainly be a help to the community if anyone who has experience with such rosters (especially running under Dragonfly) could start up a new thread and post links and hints so that people can find them.

Anaxent wrote
From what I remember the roster master does not require addons due to eq not allowing them so they have found a way to conenct to the eq2 servers to populate there data( and correct me if I am wrong).

The concept of addons or direct game connections don't exist in EQ/EQ2, Roster Master collects its data by screen-scraping the EQ2Players.com site for some of the data and by pulling a (pretty sad-looking) CSV data feed from the same site. The CSV/XML data feeds on EQ2Players.com aren't live feeds, and they're replicated across by some (unreliable) process that SoE hasn't documented or explained. So no, there's no direct connection to the game in any sense.

A copy of the data is stored locally. Some of the statistics are straight from the data, others are calculated by Roster Master. Roster Master does a lot more in that it provides a way to track quests (using user-provided data, there's no game-provided information on that at all), and make graphical signature blocks for forum posts (in a rather clever way - I'm pretty proud of the caching mechanism).

Keep in mind that a universal module wouldn't just have to deal with acquiring the data - writing game-specific data parsers isn't too hard. But it also has to store, manipulate, and present that data. All of which will tend to be game-specific. And provide some interface to the users. Etc.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Ubuntu 12.04, Atom D525/Apache 2.2.22/MySQL 5.5.38/PHP 5.3.10/Dragonfly 9.4.0.0 CVS