Support ⇒ Requests :: Archives ⇒ User Profile/Registration options :: Archived ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum IndexRequests

Archived ⇒ User Profile/Registration options

Hi

I love DragonFly and think you guys have done a great job, but there are few things which I have seen in other types of Forums which I would love to see in DragonFly.

1) Users to be able to have spaces in login names (possible edit function as well).

2) If No1 not able then, how about a seperate "Display Name" option so it shows the Display name on forums etc and not the login.

3) Option to remove individual IPs which have got banned without editing the sql file.

4) Mass Email (via Admin menu) to selected Usergroups, I have hunted high and low for this and can't find an option like this, I found it very useful in PHPBB Forums that I used to use.

I think thats about it for now, thanks for listening Smile

WWW.SOUTHFLAG.NET

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):

for option 3 ability to delete ip from ban list is already in cvs version. And will be in the next release of Dragonfly.
4. is also currently in the system by use of newsletter at the bottom of the create a new letter form there is a drop down for your to select who the email gets sent to.

as for the rest someone else will have to answer.

Multiple Setups

Well as of today CPG BB forums are based on phpBB. But once the roadmap is completed (very soon) there are plans to try out various things when it comes to Modules such as Forums to be completely seperated from other functions such s PM which have simply been coded into DF from the phpBB package. You have got ideas which in my opinion should be pretty simple to implement. DF 9.2 is due in a few weeks time so watch out for it!

Linux/2.0.54 (Unix)/5.0.51/5.2.6/DragonflyCMS 9.2.1

1) spaces are not allowed, sorry.

2) different users may use the same display name, which will create lot of confusion when this happen.

3) and 4) read Dizfunkshunal post

.:: I met php the 03 December 2003 :: Unforgettable day! ::.

CloudLinux / Apache 2.4 LSAPI / MySQLi 5.6 / PHP 5.6 / DCVS

Can't there be some kind of measure in place which prevents two users from having the same display name? That should be helpful I think!

Linux/2.0.54 (Unix)/5.0.51/5.2.6/DragonflyCMS 9.2.1

CatchImran wrote
Can't there be some kind of measure in place which prevents two users from having the same display name? That should be helpful I think!
Yes, using the login name.

NanoCaiordo wrote
1) spaces are not allowed, sorry.

2) different users may use the same display name, which will create lot of confusion when this happen.

3) and 4) read Dizfunkshunal post

Any particular reason why Spaces aren't allowed when other boards do?.

As for the display names being duplicated surely when a user goes to save the display name it would save it in a certain area of the sql database, could a check not be implemented like when a new user registers it checks for if the name has not already been used. Confused I'm no programmer of PHP but I would of thought a similar code could have been used to create this check/option.

Thanks for your post Dizfunkshunal, I found the Newsletter option Smile

WWW.SOUTHFLAG.NET

This is not a 'board' only software, but a complete CMS.
News, Pictures, Forums .... and many more.

We all know each other trough our User Name (and its always the same).

Our User Name is also used site-wide for downloads, news, pictures, blogs, wiki, forums posts .... and seriously an alternative display name would break many things and will for sure creating chaos for users changing their display name every day.

Due to the incredible role your 'username' plays in a dragonfly site a decision was made (since this is a multi-byte aware platform) not to allow spaces since sanitization would force a monster load of rewriting.

Now we've done most of the rewrites so perhaps it could be re-thought, but I have to say in all my many years only one person has requested this. (If I'm wrong then kindly note it but I didn't see anything on search)

I don't see the need myself. If my user's can't create usernames without a space, then oh well. Email has no spaces, web sites have no spaces, domainnames have no spaces.

Now, if you want to hack DragonflyCMS to add spaces (and deal with the security issues brought on by the change) then go right ahead. That's one of the beauties of a package like DragonflyCMS, if you don't like it, you can change it.

It's funny but one of the games I play I was talking to our illustrious leader who is starting a web site for our group. Couple guys bugging about adding forums to a static site. The leader asked me about what forum to use. The best advise I think I ever gave her I'm going to give to anyone else who reads this.

Don't pick the forum...pick your features, then select the forum that matches it best.

It's much easier to get a forum that meets 80%+ of your features and adding the missing ones than selecting one that meets 20% of your features and then trying to get the rest working. So I'm not about to say that DragonflyCMS is the 'only' solution, but it's a very good one for many needs, not just gaming sites.

Cheers.

J.
j e r u v y a t y a h o o d o t c o m

Need help? Look here: www.dragonflycms.org/W...d=112.html
Need to chat? Look for me on irc.freenode.net

Ubuntu7.10/Debian3.1 - 2.2.3/1.3.37 - 5.0.38/4.0.27 - 5.2.1/4.4.7 - CVS/9.1.2}