Support ⇒ Troubleshootings :: Archives ⇒ Moved to another host - utf8 is no more working :: Archived ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum IndexTroubleshootings

Archived ⇒ Moved to another host - utf8 is no more working


I have moved to new hosting server and now new posts in Cyrillic are being converted into ??? (question marks). MySQL default charset is unicode_general_ci. The only difference is PHP/MySQL version. Old host was running on PHP4/MySQL4, new one is running on PHP5/MySQL5.

Old posts/stories are all OK, but I can't input new ones in Cyrillic alphabet.
Can anyone give a hint on the issue?

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
Linux/1.3.37/5.0.27/5.2.1/9.2.1


It should be utf8_general_ci not unicode.

Hope it helps.

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
-


Yes, sorry! It is utf8_general_ci.

But the sum shows latin1_swedish_ci. Can problem caused by this?

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
Linux/1.3.37/5.0.27/5.2.1/9.2.1


Yeah, you haven't chosen the utf8 encoding for your mysql database, change the settings of the database somewhere in phpMyAdmin

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
-


Eestlane, thanks for your efforts on helping me out.

I used to use Joomla and has switched to Dragonfly a while ago. Below are links to the posts(I just posted them) in my Joomla (old site) and Dragonfly sites:
uzislam.com/eski-sayt/...&id=26 (old site)

uzislam.com/index.php?...mp;sid=179 (current)

As you can see, Joomla site is rendering Cyrillic text normal.

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
Linux/1.3.37/5.0.27/5.2.1/9.2.1


In shared hosting:
phpMyAdmin: Choose your Database -> Operations -> Collation: Choose utf8_general_ci from drop down menu -> Go

Done. Thanks Eestlane

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
Linux/1.3.37/5.0.27/5.2.1/9.2.1


Since your database wasn't utf8 when you created it, you may have mix of collations in your tables and fields.
The quickest fix I found for this was backing up my db, dropping the existing db, creating a new db with the correct collation, and importing the backup (make sure the collation line is correct in the db backup too!)

Admin - Great Lakes Web Designs
Theme Designer - WebSite Guru Designs
Site Admin - Families with Food Allergies

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
Linux 2.6.27-grsec/Apache 2.2.11/MySQL 5.0.67-community-log/PHP 5.2.8/DF 9.2.1

All times are UTC