Support ⇒ Troubleshootings :: Archives ⇒ Combining 2 forums back into a single forum using sub-forums :: Archived ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum IndexTroubleshootings

Archived ⇒ Combining 2 forums back into a single forum using sub-forums

Okay ... so I have a site that (before DF *had* sub-forums) I'd managed to create a duplicate forum that tied into the same database, so that the members could post in both without having to log in a second time.

Well, now that sub-forums are possible, I would LOVE to use them for that second forum!

Basically I had Forums and Forums2 ... so my question is what would be the BEST way to move that data into a sub-forum?

How do sub-forums work in relation to the database? Is this going to be impossible or just a pain in the butt? lol

Thanks!

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
[ Linux / Apache 2.2.8 / MySQL 5.0.45 / PHP 5.2.6 / CPG 8.2b - 9.3.4.1]

I can't exactly understand your message, however, I try to help.
1) It's possible to have multiple forums for Dragonfly, you just have to copy Forums directory in modules directory and give a new different name, i.e Forums_Old or whatever you wish.

Which forums the 2 of the forums you had were, phpBB or Dragonfly's cpgBB?

2) If you are talking about subforums, do you mean a forum in other forum, like there is here Coppermine, Downloads Pro and CPG-BB (forum)?
If you want to integrate the 2 forums like that then it's rather impossible as both forums include messages with same IDs. I would bet that the first method is possible for you. But then the two forums wouldn't be integrated, but they would both be Dragonfly's and that means no extra logging in etc - there would be shared user data.

I hope I got something right.

-

I have a site that needed two forums to break up the sheer volume of boards available.

So way way way back during the DF 9.0.4 stage, I got that working for them.

In that I duplicated the existing forum in that DF site, and had it tied together into the same database that the regular forum in df was using so that the members didn't have to log in twice.

Not sure why it would be impossible, if they already share the same database without causing errors.

But maybe it is, I don't know if it is impossible or not, but it seems that it should be possible and maybe even not that hard - if I understood better how sub-forums work.

Couldn't one just create a new board in the forums, and then cause that to be the "parent" to all the boards from the second forum, so that all that data is displayed correctly?

We didn't have a way to do sub-forums easily then. Now that we do, I'd like to change the two forums back into one forum, with the second forum becoming a subforum of the regular/main forum.

[ Linux / Apache 2.2.8 / MySQL 5.0.45 / PHP 5.2.6 / CPG 8.2b - 9.3.4.1]