Miscellaneous ⇒ Server Chat ⇒ Site backups ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum IndexServer Chat

Site backups Reply to topic

Read all the stuff I could find here on site backups. Didn´t much like any of it, and so went looking for something better.

Found this; www.site-vault.com/

I have tried the demo a few times, works perfectly. I will be buying the full version, as it really is excellent. I am not sure whether this might be considered advertising? If so, then please remove it.

I have no connections of any kind with the software, I merely found it extremely useful.

As quite a few people asked, I now have a "live" beta site, if anybody wants to have a look. It is not yet being used by its intended audience, merely as a test site, and is still very much a work in progress;

The more I use this software, the more I like it! Fits the purpose here perfectly, and although it requires a fair bit of application, is a great deal easier to use and more efficient than a few other systems I tried. This software will now definitely be used for this and a couple of other projects.

Thank you all once again for providing info and support in the form of these forums and this site.

Cheers!

Mike Connor

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
WindowsXP | 2.0 handler | 5.0.45 | 5.25 | DF 9.1.2.1

Last edited by mike_connor on Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total

For a good backup solution you should have SSH access to your server.
Since many website owners don't have it or don't understand it, your solution might work.

However, if you do have SSH access then it's pretty useless to pay for something while GNU/Linux has all the tools you need.
You just need to figure out how to use `tar -cfz` and `mysqldump`

Fedora 25 / Apache 2.4.27 / MariaDB 10.1.26 / PHP 7.1.10 / Mercurial

Yes, I have SSH access. Works very well just using FileZilla, but is a bit of a pain. The Site Vault stuff just makes it easier, and automatic.

Before I start adding various scripts, I want to be sure I know exactly what I am doing. Leaving executable scripts on the server, even by accident etc, would be a fairly major security issue, no?

I am considering placing such a script in a password protected directory. Can´t see any major problems with that.

As I am a complete beginner with this software, I don´t want to mess about too much until I completely understand the basics. I have only been playing with this for a few days.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers!

Mike

PS. It is also 15 years since I last used Unix! So I have a lot of ground to make up!

mike_connor wrote
Read all the stuff I could find here on site backups. Didn´t much like any of it, and so went looking for something better.

Found this; www.site-vault.com/

I have tried the demo a few times, works perfectly. I will be buying the full version,

Price after trial: $99.00 USD WOW! Too much money ...

If you cant use SSH, I would rather use my cpanel freebees or FTP software.

Please enter your server specs in your user profile! 😢

Would very much like to use Cpanel, but the current provider for this site does not have it, and the software they do have is very clumsy.

I could buy it of course, but if you think the other stuff was expensive, then try this;

www.cpanel.net/purchas...ricing.htm

Cheers!

Mike

dragonflycms.org/Forum...17344.html

The link above is what I do. It has worked flawlessly for years at no additional cost.

Unix / 2.0.46 (Red Hat) / 0.9.7a / 4.1.9-standard / 4.3.2 / 9.0.6.1

It's also in the DragonflyCMS forums (our preferred link) Wink

Thanks, I saw that, but did not really understand it, so I decided not to try it.

I am going along very carefully here. The test site is working beautifully, and I don´t want to jeopardise it with too much playing about at this stage. I will try all these things on my (local) WAMP server before I use them, but I need time for that.

Thanks a lot though!

Cheers!

Mike

Found this;

www.phpmybackuppro.net/index.php

Free Software GNU GPL, works perfectly. Very very good indeed.

Cheers!

Mike

Wouldn't any host worth there salt backup your data at least on a weekly basis? Any host I have used in the past it was done twice a week minimal.

Have a look at my new chat home: www.worldwidechatters.com
Looking for hosting www.caltonhosting.com