Support ⇒ New installations ⇒ Upgrading 9.0.6.1 -> 9.2 & MySQL / PHP 4 -> 5 ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum IndexNew installations

Upgrading 9.0.6.1 -> 9.2 & MySQL / PHP 4 -> 5 Reply to topic

I've been asked to help upgrade a DF site.
The site is modified 9.0.6.1 which needs to go to 9.2

The server on the other hand needs to be upgraded as well. What will this entail upgrading MySQL and PHP to version 5 on the current site?

Would it be better to first upgrade the site to version 9.2 and then upgrade the server?

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
redhat / Apache/1.3.26 (Unix) / 4.0.21-standard/ Dragonfly (9.2.1)

Upgrade DF first then upgrade MySQL and php

Beware that some modules are not MySQL 5.0 compliant. I've heard of no issues with php5

Please enter your server specs in your user profile! 😢

Thank you
I'm going to run the upgrade first on a duplicate test site but would like to know if it would be better to upgrade DF in one shot or do it incrementally?

Do you mean go straight from 9.0.6.1 to 9.2.1? If so yes. This is the best method.

Please enter your server specs in your user profile! 😢

Yes thats what i meant.
Great now to get the go ahead from the FA.
Thanks

BrokenCrust wrote
Upgrade DF first then upgrade MySQL and php

Beware that some modules are not MySQL 5.0 compliant. I've heard of no issues with php5

I am planning to upgrade to SQL 5 and PHP 5, I have an existing DF 9.2.1 website installed, does antbody know of specific modules that will have problems running?

Linux, Apache 2.0, SQL 5.0.86-log (client: 4.1.22), PHP 5.2.11 DF 9.2.1

I would disable all none core modules before upgrading. Then after upgrade and all core has been checked is fine start turning 3rd party mods on 1 by 1 to check them.

Multiple Setups

I need help. I have been asked to upgrade my website to support mysql 5.0 and i'm currently running core 9.0.4.0. I would love to update this site to the newest version but i do not know what path to take to accomplish this. I orgionally just try to upgrade the DB to mysql 4.0 to 5.0 but i don't think i had the collation right because the site crashed. I know the forums have been pretty slow but i really need help and don't know whom to turn to. I would hate to recode the site.

Given that mix, then I would approach in this order:

If you have the collation issue, then tackle that first, on your current version of DF and MySQL.

With collation correct, then upgrade through to 9.2.1 as a 2 step process, 9.0 -> 9.1 -> 9.2.

Then attack the MySQL 4 -> 5 - which should be pretty straighforw3ard on 9.2 (compared with on 9.0 or even 9.1).

For info on the collation sequence search the forums, you'll find lots of info. Basically you just need to change the recorded collation sequence, meaning the data is already in the desired collation, but it is incorrectly marked as swedish (most likely). You can edit each by hand, use canned scripts for core and then manually do the rest, or export and reload. The latter has become the favoured method for most.

Hopefully it goes without saying that you should backup at each step. But with the above approach you can test and make certain between each step, so there should be no surprises.

Pro_News CM™ - Content Management for Dragonfly CMS™

Linux / 1.3.39 - 2.4.9 / 5.5.42 - 5.6.16 / 5.4.37 - 5.5.11 / 9.4

Currently my site is up and functioning. Let me elaborate the encoding is cp1252. So my web host uses Control Panel and they will allow to migrate the data from Mysql 4.0 to Mysql 5. I backed everything up. Then created a blank db. Then migrated the DB from 4 to version 5. And change the encoding (collation) from cp1252 to utf8_generial_ci. This of course didn't work because i don't think the code for my version of handles collation or i didn't select the correct collation. Anyways I need to update the site. I just put alot of time in modifing code to make it work like i want so i'm a bit afraid of the upgrade. So from you post you suggest 9.0 -> 9.1 -> 9.2. Have you attempted this before? Is there a way i can check that my modules work in each version?

layingback wrote
Given that mix, then I would approach in this order:

If you have the collation issue, then tackle that first, on your current version of DF and MySQL.

With collation correct, then upgrade through to 9.2.1 as a 2 step process, 9.0 -> 9.1 -> 9.2.

Then attack the MySQL 4 -> 5 - which should be pretty straighforw3ard on 9.2 (compared with on 9.0 or even 9.1).

For info on the collation sequence search the forums, you'll find lots of info. Basically you just need to change the recorded collation sequence, meaning the data is already in the desired collation, but it is incorrectly marked as swedish (most likely). You can edit each by hand, use canned scripts for core and then manually do the rest, or export and reload. The latter has become the favoured method for most.

Hopefully it goes without saying that you should backup at each step. But with the above approach you can test and make certain between each step, so there should be no surprises.

just a side note ... 9.2 supports straight upgrades from 8.x

.:: I met php the 03 December 2003 :: Unforgettable day! ::.

CloudLinux / Apache 2.4 LSAPI / MySQLi 5.6 / PHP 5.6 / DCVS

cchris15 wrote
Is there a way i can check that my modules work in each version?

Copy site and db and test?

Remember that you are not trying to CHANGE the collation. The collation is set to UTF*, the problem is just that the db is marked as some collation other than utf8_generial_ci. (If you run a collation conversion you'll change the data from the currently correct UTF8 to gibberish.)

Pro_News CM™ - Content Management for Dragonfly CMS™

Linux / 1.3.39 - 2.4.9 / 5.5.42 - 5.6.16 / 5.4.37 - 5.5.11 / 9.4