Miscellaneous ⇒ Server Chat ⇒ Site using too many resources (page 4) ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum IndexServer Chat

Site using too many resources Reply to topic

Personally, I would move. You only getting like 200 hits an hour. That is not much in the grand scheme of things. Seriously, it sounds like they have over loaded there server with to many websites. There hosting 500+(549 at this moment) websites on that server with yours.

The only way you can exceed 100%(even with multiple cpu) is if they are over clocking there cpu which no hosting company over clocks there hardware. It increases performance but drastically kills lifespan and it is more expensive.

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
Multiple Setups

nano asked you already for the "time" when accident happens, access and error logs and i couldnt agree less but none of this was given ... in case you are going to provide this material make sure you and your logs talks GTM

none available

Error logs seem to only contain 'File does not exist' errors as shown here:

[Wed Nov 09 10:21:19 2011] [error] [client 220.181.108.140] File does not exist: /home/user/public_html/coppermine
[Wed Nov 09 10:20:32 2011] [error] [client 220.181.108.146] File does not exist: /home/user/public_html/Forums
[Wed Nov 09 10:19:43 2011] [error] [client 220.181.108.155] File does not exist: /home/user/public_html/MReviews
[Wed Nov 09 10:18:55 2011] [error] [client 220.181.108.156] File does not exist: /home/user/public_html/MReviews
[Wed Nov 09 10:18:06 2011] [error] [client 220.181.108.150] File does not exist: /home/user/public_html/coppermine
[Wed Nov 09 10:17:18 2011] [error] [client 220.181.108.143] File does not exist: /home/user/public_html/Forums
[Wed Nov 09 10:17:18 2011] [error] [client 193.47.80.40] File does not exist: /home/user/public_html/Forums

cpg_error log contains nothing new and error log has only this entry (over a week ago):

[31-Oct-2011 07:25:19] PHP Fatal error: Call to a member function sql_ufetchrow() on a non-object in /home/user/public_html/index.php on line 60

Just got this from Site5

Hello,
I apologize for the misunderstanding. 3% is actually fine for shared hosting. The issue can now be considered resolved.
Thanks,

When I asked when I should have been told this they replied

It appears that the misunderstanding was earlier in this ticket where you were informed that the usage was still too high. Since 3% is within acceptable limits, the issue should have been resolved at this time. I am terribly sorry for the inconvenience and the confusion in this issue, please let us know if you have any other questions and we'll let you know if any other issues pop up.

To say I'm annoyed is an understatement! Time to move...

Thanks for all your suggestions here - they have helped my site become quicker anyway.

lol hosts that know not what they do Smile

Multiple Setups

i still dont understand ... they never showed a value not even close to 3% ... where does this come from now fdiik

none available

Hey, Inspector:
rosbif wrote
So, latest from my host

Usage is a lot better :
user chantillyexpat.com 3.03 0.09 0.1
Top Process %CPU 92.0 /usr/bin/php /home/user/public_html/index.php
Top Process %CPU 84.5 /usr/bin/php /home/user/public_html/index.php
Top Process %CPU 72.0 /usr/bin/php /home/user/public_html/index.php
Would it be possible to bring the usage % under 2 percent?

There out of there frigin minds the lowest on there is 72% and they want under 2%? there completely loco !!!! I understand, there a host who have no idea what there doing or talking about. lol

Multiple Setups

Diz, It's this line.

Usage is a lot better :

3.03 and they say 3% is Ok.

Pro_News CM™ - Content Management for Dragonfly CMS™

Linux / 1.3.39 - 2.4.9 / 5.5.42 - 5.6.16 / 5.4.37 - 5.5.11 / 9.4

Load: 3.03 0.09 0.1

You cannot use % in load values, period.
Not to confuse cpu load with cpu utilization.

In plain words 3% can not be referred to cpu load.

So i must assign % as the cpu utilization.
With the last log the top process still uses 100% (100/cores = real%).
So if they tells you that 3% (real%) is ok it means that they have around 33 cores in their server!

The truth: they totally messed up with numbers and signs.

.:: I met php the 03 December 2003 :: Unforgettable day! ::.

CloudLinux / Apache 2.4 LSAPI / MySQLi 5.7 / PHP 7.3 / head

Nano, I see what you mean. I wasn't sure what the numbers represented, but was pointing Diz at the number that they were interpreting (rightly or wrongly Wink ).

But there is a common bug in max percent, I've seen it at 2 hosts. Out-dated software I presume. 1 core only goes to 100% load, but 4 cores then the max goes up to 400%.

But even allowing for that it only reduces it to a quarter!

But all paths and interpretation seem to lead to the same result: Move to another host!

Pro_News CM™ - Content Management for Dragonfly CMS™

Linux / 1.3.39 - 2.4.9 / 5.5.42 - 5.6.16 / 5.4.37 - 5.5.11 / 9.4

layingback wrote
Diz, It's this line.

Usage is a lot better :

3.03 and they say 3% is Ok.

i was paying more attention to the 3 %CPU under that line line lol skipped right over it. Thanks

I never did like site5 i forget who it was, long ago, had site5 ads on there site. I looked at them then and didn't like them then even tho now i cant remember why. It was something in there tos. I do remember that much. any how back to the point. I would just find another host. I wouldn't waste my time trying to appease that host. There are over 500+ sites hosted on the same server with your site. Unless there using clustered servers i think it is called. server appears to be over loaded so they are nit picking the bigger sites to minimize. This is of course my 2 cents Smile

Multiple Setups

One accident doesn't mean is a bad host, for what he pays (maybe $5/month) its good enough. If accidents keep happening then you should think about it, otherwise take the hassle off your shoulders and stay where you are.

They close the case, I'd say we should too.

.:: I met php the 03 December 2003 :: Unforgettable day! ::.

CloudLinux / Apache 2.4 LSAPI / MySQLi 5.7 / PHP 7.3 / head