Languages and alternative language support ⇒ i18n - l10n (languages) ⇒ diff of language files ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum Indexi18n - l10n (languages)

diff of language files Reply to topic

Hello,

i started modofications and translation of dragonfly modules a while ago.
Upon the various updates i had a lot of work to update the language files.

The current way i do is to diff the english files old vs new to see the differences and then update the translation.

Is there an easier way to find the differences between a new english language file and the old translated one. to see what has been added or deleted? i guess not, but i'm not aware on all things so i decided to ask here.

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
Linux/Apache/MySQL 5.1.49/PHP 5.3.6/ DF 9.3.2.0

A quick way is to browse cvs dragonflycms.org/cvs/h...e/english/

.:: I met php the 03 December 2003 :: Unforgettable day! ::.

CloudLinux / Apache 2.4 LSAPI / MySQLi 5.6 / PHP 5.6 / DCVS

Do you have linux? If so Meld Diff Viewer lets you compare directories, including sub-directories, in 1 pass, and list all found differences. Double click on any one will open it in diff view at first variance.

Better still it does diff against CVS with Commit etc commands.

Oh, and a 3-way diff at file level.

Only issue I've ever had with it is unprintable characters at end of line, or mismatch of line endings, can throw its line count off one. As soon as you see that just check back to where it starts and fix the line ending. Otherwise super solid.

Invaluable tool.

[ Link has link to instructions for Windows, but it is all DIY ]

Pro_News CM™ - Content Management for Dragonfly CMS™

Linux / 1.3.39 - 2.4.9 / 5.5.42 - 5.6.16 / 5.4.37 - 5.5.11 / 9.4

Re-read your OP and 3-way diff could allow you to edit within Meld. Takes some thought as to which to open as the "middle" file, as both others diff against it. But if you put old English file on left, new English file in middle and old-to-be-updated translation on right, you can edit the new translation file as you see the differences, I think.

Pro_News CM™ - Content Management for Dragonfly CMS™

Linux / 1.3.39 - 2.4.9 / 5.5.42 - 5.6.16 / 5.4.37 - 5.5.11 / 9.4

Thanks you Layingback for your advice, i never seen or heard about 3-way diff before. As i have no linux skills i'd googled for "3-way diff" and will try out some of the tools for windows.

I'm allready totaly exited in perhaps finding a nice way to handle those translation.

Linux/Apache/MySQL 5.1.49/PHP 5.3.6/ DF 9.3.2.0