Support ⇒ Themes ⇒ v10 default theme, feedback please... ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum IndexThemes

v10 default theme, feedback please... Reply to topic

I'm working on the v10 default theme.
Anyone any comments to it?

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
Fedora 25 / Apache 2.4.27 / MariaDB 10.1.26 / PHP 7.1.10 / Mercurial

Last edited by DJ Maze on Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total

Err. It looks like CPG-Nuke and PHP-Nuke before it?

And it's table based, so relatively hard to change/improve.

Although if this is just default's replacement, I guess it doesn't matter because no-one is supposed to use default, it's just there as a baseline.

Or is this what you have to use for Admin? (FWIW a product killer right there IMHO.)

Internal Server Error if you click on a coppermine image.

Pro_News CM™ - Content Management for Dragonfly CMS™

Linux / 1.3.39 - 2.4.9 / 5.5.42 - 5.6.16 / 5.4.37 - 5.5.11 / 9.4

Its a good job, but I think that could be nice if could be a responsive theme.

Mobile is the present.

Aforo - Google Earth - WebNaranja - DFcms.es

Centos 5/Apache 2.2.3/MySQL:5.0.45/PHP:5.2.10 /9.2

Yes, it is still tables.
Mostly it is just a color change to gray and some html5 features.
The admin uses this template as well.

Making it responsive can be done later on.

I can't understand why you seem to trying to reinvent the wheel when the work eestlane and then layingback have done on reDesign is streets ahead of current DF offerings. Can you not start with those?

Good point rosbif.
I will take a look at the latest code from 5 months ago and see what can be used.
Df10 uses a different template and css backend but it should be doable.

Re reDesign3+, almost all of the PHP code in the theme has been removed or relocated to theme.php. As suggested by Nano. And all of the SQL calls have been removed entirely.

But 1 "messy" bit remains, get_user_avatar in theme.inc and called from memberslist.php eg. It is used just to get the image dimensions for the default avatar. reDesign has always used a different default avatar size that DF9, which allows the user defined avatars to be any size, but not the default one. If DF10 was modified to allow a theme designer to define the default avatar size, then this PHP code could - and should - be dropped.

And 1 last plea for theme designer created Admin themes ...

I understand why you want the Admin theme to be developed by DF - support, ease of adding new features, etc, etc.

But I think this can be simply achieved without losing a feature currently used and exploited by some of us.

Make DF10 theme developers add a ADMIN_THEME_EXISTS flag in theme.php. Additionally add a USE_THEME_ADMIN flag to cms_config_custom (or somewhere similar).

In the Administration page, underneath the Update section, display - if and only if the ADMIN_THEME_EXISTS flag is set in theme.php for the current theme - a WARNING that this theme uses it own Admin theme. Explain the risks of it being wrong/out-of-date, and that support is only from the theme developer, add a statement that no support will be forthcoming from DF for any issue unless the DF10 official default theme is used for Admin, and add a radio button to select/override the use of the theme's Admin right there.

So for themes without Admin support there would be no visible change. For ones with Admin support, user would use that by default but have the option right there to toggle it back to the default one, and vice-versa.

To be clear I'm not advocating wide spread use of theme developed Admin, but there is a use for it today, and I'd hate to see the feature withdrawn unnecessarily, for the sake of a few lines of HTML.

I no longer have anything to lose regardless of your decision (because I let my business model lapse as soon as it was determined that it was going to be broken by this). But I have clients who admin their own websites (limited subset of Admin). These are very non-technical business users. And for them having the same UI for user and admin is significant - easy of use, reduction of confusion, and errors, etc. If their business brand design consultant says that they have to have a funky menu, to match their brochures, advertisements, business cards and everything else that references their brand, then I need that funky menu in place when they are in Admin too. Ie. I don't want to sell themes with Admin support, but I do (did) want to provide them to my clients. (Which I support.)

As you guys can notice within the new theme (more in admin then user side yet) we are using CSS in a different way then we previously used so that theme designers can modify more content with less work by simply using style rules.
Avatar size option is a complicated one as I believe it should be set on install only to avoid issues.

However v9 themes are still supported and theming could be still possible using the custom.css even in admin themes.

.:: I met php the 03 December 2003 :: Unforgettable day! ::.

CloudLinux / Apache 2.4 LSAPI / MySQLi 5.6 / PHP 5.6 / DCVS

NanoCaiordo wrote
As you guys can notice within the new theme (more in admin then user side yet) we are using CSS in a different way then we previously used so that theme designers can modify more content with less work by simply using style rules.

That's how reDesign does it - 2 CSS files style.css and specific.css for customizations.

NanoCaiordo wrote
Avatar size option is a complicated one as I believe it should be set on install only to avoid issues.

Good point. Perhaps option to declare own default avatar, and size, in theme.php?

I think that default theme is improving... Very Happy

But new position of Smilies is not so good for usability and spare area on the left it's not so nice in my opinion.
Attachment: new theme smilies position.jpg
Description
Filesize 86.01 KiB
Viewed 4 Time(s)
You are not allowed to view/download this attachment

Aforo - Google Earth - WebNaranja - DFcms.es

Centos 5/Apache 2.2.3/MySQL:5.0.45/PHP:5.2.10 /9.2

Last edited by Aforo on Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Aforo wrote
I think that default theme is improving... Very Happy

But new position of Smilies is not so good for usability and spare area on the left it's not so nice in my opinion.

I like it a way more than the old option.

In general, i like this new default theme.

www.greenday2k.net

Moving the emote icons is a tough one as it can't easily know where to put them.
However, i might can think of a solution some day.

I found some trouble with table items.
Tried:
width:100%;
table-layout: fixed;
table-layout: fixed; width:100%;
They all had issues in different places.
Still searching for a solution.

Last edited by DJ Maze on Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total