Support ⇒ Modules & Blocks ⇒ Record IP address at Registration ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum IndexModules & Blocks

Record IP address at Registration Reply to topic

I'm getting fed up with dealing with content spammers, who signup almost daily then usually take a post, edit slightly, then repost elsewhere. Either with a spammy signature, or without so they can come back later if it's not detected/deleted and change their siggy then.

Phoenix's IP_Tracker is great after the fact, but can someone show me how to log the IP address at registration time please? Obviously have to add the corresponding field into the 'waiting users' file, but how to write the IP?

Easy to add to the resulting IP Admin''s Waiting User display, as I've already done for registration date/time, but the IP would mean I could use IP_Tracker's search options.

[ They often register but delay the confirmation (their batch processing workflow?), so would rather look them up in IP_Tracker and block them then, rather than have to wait until they clutter up the Forums to get them. ]

If only we could merge in Project Honeypot and/or Stop Forum Spam (as in IP_Tracker) directly into the registration process, to downgrade all suspect/reported IP's to "Require Admin Approval", while everyone else can just go ahead normally ...

TIA!

Pro_News CM™ - Content Management for Dragonfly CMS™

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
Linux / 1.3.39 - 2.4.9 / 5.5.42 - 5.6.16 / 5.4.37 - 5.5.11 / 9.4

Stop Forum Spam is probably your simplest option to incorporate into the registration process and is usually the earliest indicator of a spammer - Honeypot is a lot more conservative.

IP address is noted at registration and is sent in the advice email.

DonationsPro for DragonflyCMS & SMF

Last edited by Phoenix on Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total

Also see: dragonflycms.org/banned.html

Fedora 25 / Apache 2.4.27 / MariaDB 10.1.26 / PHP 7.1.10 / Mercurial

DJ Maze wrote
Also see: dragonflycms.org/banned.html

Not a single overlap! Only 1 with same 1st 2 octets (182.186) and you have 1 of and I have half a dozen!

I think I'm being picked on by a human not a bot ...

Don't really want to ban Pakistan, but!

At the bottom you also see IP blocks which this site ban in htaccess

DJ Maze wrote
At the bottom you also see IP blocks which this site ban in htaccess

Yeah saw that thanks. But still no overlap.

Interestingly I got a(nother) spammer registration yesterday who after registering necro-posted - both from IP 182.180.100.36.

Thing is that 182.180.100.36 is already listed in admin.php?op=security&ips as 'forever' from months back!?!

[ Which means it's now listed twice - which should perhaps be prohibited? ]

Is there another setting that I need to set to get this banning to operate? DF 9.4.0.0

If you don't mind, would you like to test v10 locally if an upgrade of your website from v9 to v10 works?
hg clone https://bitbucket.org/dragonflycms/dragonfly-cms hg update v10 hg clone https://bitbucket.org/dragonflycms/modules