Support ⇒ New installations ⇒ install.php garbled text ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum IndexNew installations

install.php garbled text Reply to topic

I'm trying to make a fresh install of DF 9.4 on a subdomain hosted by Site5 but when I navigate to the install.php page I just get a page of garbled text. Site5 tell me it's a script problem. Any ideas?

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):

Or do I just learn Drupal as my partner thinks we should...

[edit]Looking back it seems it was a common problem a few years back, something to do with gzip double compressing. Seems to work fine on Firefox so will install and see if it all works properly on Chrome then.

Last edited by rosbif on Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total

Can't get any further than cookie settings though. Why does it have to be so difficult?

I am setting this up as a trial. The original site is at www.originalsite.com and I am using a subdomain of new.originalsite.com with files stored in a subfolder called newog. So what settings should I have on the cookie page? I've tried everything I can think of from searches here.

Yes, indeed mostly it is double gzip due to Apache/Nginx also doing gzip compression (while it shouldn't for PHP).

Yes, Drupal could be an alternative, just like Typo3, Joomla, WordPress, Contao, MODX, Xoops and whatever else.
Keep in mind there is no "the best cms", it all depends on your requirements.
Make a list and use the software that fits the best.
Never make a decision based on what someone says, as it could indeed be "the best" for his/hers purpose, but not for yours.

Fedora 25 / Apache 2.4.27 / MariaDB 10.1.26 / PHP 7.1.10 / Mercurial

I'm hoping DF will work. With Pro_News and ReDesign it's a great bit of software. But if I can't get the cookies working I'm scuppered before I even start!

Anyone? I’m going to have to switch if I can’t even install this!

Did you try v10 ?

No, because neither ProNews nor Redesign 3 work with it. There are just not enough modules or themes to go with 10 yet.

Well... install.php doesn't gzip.
Yet, we try to clear bad host configuration by clearing the output buffer.
Somehow that fails.

Try commenting out includes/cmsinit.inc
/* if (CAN_MOD_INI) { ini_set('magic_quotes_sybase', 0); // ini_set('include_path', ini_get('include_path').';'.CORE_PATH); ini_set('zlib.output_compression', 0); } # Compress output if server/php config allows if (ini_get('output_buffering')) { ob_end_clean(); // header('Content-Encoding: none'); header('Content-Encoding: '); } */

Site5 is not the best hosting plan to get a website up and running as their PHP configuration is just screwed.

I own a hosting company and never ever people have PHP issues about garbled text or any other complaints.
My hosting is from € 48 (1GB disk space) per year and uses PHP(-FPM) 5.6, 7.1 and 7.2
This website runs on a separate VPS though.
If you want, you may point your subdomein to one of my servers and we setup a test on that server.
Then i can switch your account between PHP 5.6, 7.1 and 7.2 so you can test if it works, if so we know Site5 is at fault here.

Last edited by DJ Maze on Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:05 am; edited 2 times in total

Thanks for that. However I did get install to run by using Firefox instead of chrome. The problem now is with cookies...

No one? So it just doesn’t work?

rosbif wrote
Can't get any further than cookie settings though. Why does it have to be so difficult?

It's not difficult. Site5 is difficult (since 2015 when it was acquired by conglomerate EIG, which also owns HostGator, Bluehost and many others).

I just did a test install with a fresh 9.4.0 on one of my hosting servers using PHP-FPM 5.6 and it worked flawless and cookies work.
See: v9.dragonflycms.org/

So open your includes/config.php and add at the bottom
session_save_path(dirname(__DIR__) . '/cache'); ini_set('error_log', dirname(__DIR__) . '/cache/phperrors-'.date('o-\WW').'.log'); error_reporting(E_ALL);
Then check what happens

Last edited by DJ Maze on Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:54 pm; edited 7 times in total

I've managed to get it installed by going into the database and changing the cookie settings there (it just needed to be '/'). I also had to go into the database to add an admin and a user. It seems to be working now.

My problem is that if this is difficult for me (apparently because of the server) how is going to appeal to anyone else? It's almost impossible to find a proper version 9 to download, and if you go for v10 there are very few themes and very few modules. Compared to other CMSs DF is so far behind as to make wonder why I should stick with it. I would dearly love to but I am being drawn elsewhere with the lack of activity outside the core here.

Well, almost all v9 modules and themes should work in v10.
If not, i want to know why.

Last time I tried neither reDesign nor ProNews worked on it...