Support ⇒ New installations ⇒ install.php garbled text ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum IndexNew installations

install.php garbled text Reply to topic

WHY Not just change Hosting and that ends your problems

Dragonfly 9.4 Running on PHP 7.x + MariaDB
dragonfly9php7support.com/

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
PHP Version 7.0.6 + MariaDB + Dragonfly 9.4 Modified

It doesn't end the problems though. If you compare the support for other CMSs compared to this it's woeful. Who is developing DF themes anymore? Other than Layingback who is developing new modules?

My business partner knocked up www.newownergroups.com on Drupal in a day or two. Could I do that on DF? Graphically DF is miles behind.

Try a search on here, for example, for how to create a new module...

rosbif wrote
If you compare the support for other CMSs compared to this it's woeful. Who is developing DF themes anymore? Other than Layingback who is developing new modules?

None, because no-one needs them? And if they do, they can create them themselves.

rosbif wrote
My business partner knocked up www.newownergroups.com on Drupal in a day or two. Could I do that on DF?

X-Generator: Drupal 7 (http://drupal.org) X-Powered-By: PHP/5.5.26 Blocked: → 0 ms DNS resolution: → 2 ms Connecting: → 21 ms TLS setup: → 0 ms Sending: → 0 ms Waiting: → 987 ms Receiving: → 116 ms DOMContentLoaded: 4.62 s load: 5.64 s
No, we don't support PHP 5 anymore (for good reasons).
But analyzing the demo website i've put up using PHP-FPM 5.6
Blocked: → 0 ms DNS resolution: → 2 ms Connecting: → 10 ms TLS setup: → 13 ms Sending: → 0 ms Waiting: → 34 ms Receiving: → 0 ms DOMContentLoaded: 345 ms load: 885 ms

rosbif wrote
Graphically DF is miles behind.

Depends what you need.

So basically speaking, you can't just compare Dragonfly with Drupal or any other CMS.
Trust me, my other CMS (Poodle) can't be compared either.

I build websites with Poodle CMS, Drupal, Joomla, WordPress and Dragonfly.
Every website has pro's and con's but none are as fast as Poodle CMS.
Poodle CMS has no modules/plugins/themes, those will all be custom made.
Result: websites stay blazing fast and secure

Any other is cheap to setup (many modules/plugins/themes available) but slow.

rosbif wrote
Try a search on here, for example, for how to create a new module...

Yep, removed. Only v10 has an example module.

rosbif wrote
Last time I tried neither reDesign nor ProNews worked on it...

I will try them

Fedora 25 / Apache 2.4.27 / MariaDB 10.1.26 / PHP 7.1.10 / Mercurial

Last edited by DJ Maze on Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total

reDesign doesn't work in v9 either. The theme uses ereg_* functions which is not supported by PHP 7.
php.net/ereg
I just made one that works in Dragonfly v9 and v10 in minutes Wink

I have a ProNews 4.0 will check that later

Last edited by DJ Maze on Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hi DJ, I really appreciate you engaging here - it does offer some hope. I’m just concerned that I’m wasting so much time with DF on things I can get off the shelf with another CMS. For example I need an FAQ module but it looks like I’ll have to work on the existing one to get it to look vaguely presentable whereas other CMSs will have a choice of many. And as integrating third party plugins there is no support here. PhpList? A decent forms module? Database data gathering? Nope.

Ofcourse we don't support PhpList.
In 2018 you should not run Email Marketing software on your shared hosting.
If you did host at my hosting company, your account would be shutdown within 1 hour.
There are many reasons why i do this, but mostly because i have had SPAM runs from hacked WordPress and Drupal websites.
Use mailchimp, sendgrid or any other service for that.

Decent forms module?
There are none for any CMS (yes i've tried them all).
Someone even made one for my Poodle CMS. i've dropped the code and stopped using it.
Why? Because every customer i have wanted options in forms that "form builders" can't handle properly.
And building your own <form> HTML took less time in Poodle CMS thanks to TAL inside the WYSIWYG.

Take for example an offer for a funeral. The first question: bury or cremate
Then the question "maximum costs of tomb" is not applicable at a cremation.
So what to do with that? Hide it? Yes, hide it.
@#$#$ the form builder can't.....

Database data gathering?
This is not allowed in the EU without prior notice. Read about the GDPR regarding your Chantilly (in France) website.
So that's why it's not there, people will use data collection while they don't understand the implications.
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime"

Pro News
It needs fixes for PHP 7
modules/Pro_News/cpg_inst.php * Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; Pro_News has a deprecated constructor * Use of undefined constant Pro_News - assumed 'Pro_News' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) modules/Pro_News/index.php * Non-static method ProNews::section_list() should not be called statically modules/Pro_News/functions.php * Non-static method ProNews::scheduler() should not be called statically modules/Pro_News/admin/index.inc * Non-static method ProNewsAdm::admin_menu() should not be called statically
The others are just CMS Deprecated issues that can be solved easily.

So yes, there is still a valid point: there are no developers for Dragonfly CMS, so all the modules/themes are outdated for PHP.
Either fix them yourself or just go ahead and just use a different CMS for your own peace of mind.

Last edited by DJ Maze on Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:35 am; edited 5 times in total

Ok so I’m stuck with v9 or something else. If I encounter any problem with a module on v9 does that mean there’ll be no support here?

Almost, you're stuck with PHP 5.
PHP 5 support ends december 2018 so something must change.

DJ Maze wrote

Database data gathering?
This is not allowed in the EU without prior notice. Read about the GDPR regarding your Chantilly (in France) website.

Is DF compliant? Can you delete members and their data? I don't collect any other info...

Your NOT stuck with PHP 5 and DF 9.4

Their is a 9.4 that has been updated to work with PHP 7.2.2 +

We and others have been using it for over a Year....

So you can keep 9.4

Dragonfly 9.4 Running on PHP 7.x + MariaDB
dragonfly9php7support.com/

PHP Version 7.0.6 + MariaDB + Dragonfly 9.4 Modified

Last edited by bulldog500 on Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hi guys. Very interested in this conversation. I've dropped off the radar here due to other interests, but development of Pro_News has not stopped - albeit there is less and less, as there is less demand for further features.

@rosbif, I'm afraid you do collect armfuls of 'other info' by inviting Facebook et al onto your site. Indeed any 'commercial' js, whether free or not, is likely to collect data now.

@DJMaze, Yes you can build sites without modules, but something like Pro_News allows someone who doesn't code to have a db website they can build, or at least maintain, without learning HTML or CSS let alone PHP/TAL. Such people do exist! Laughing

@DJMaze, Thanks for info on Pro_News vs PHP7. I was only aware of the deprecated stuff. Is that an exhaustive list of issues or just samples? And can someone here show me how to go about addressing these please? Those seem to be all stuff from the original Beta, ie not coded by me. (I've a db background not programming, bar some assembler in my youth Rolling Eyes )

And in general, I'm not against v10 or for v9 per se, beyond a few theme issues, but I AM concerned that v10 is lacking in sufficient exposure time to the real world to be ready for seamless problem-free substitution for v9 into production environments before PHP5 cut-off comes into play ...

P.S. Could the collapsed 'DJMaze wrote' etc drop-down be expanded to show the first line of text, just the first line, please? It wouldn't add much vertical space, if any, as it is already double spaced. And it could be in a smaller font as you don't need to read it, just recognise it. But it would mean you could read a series of responses without clicking to see which was being answered where. I don't want to have to use a mouse to read Wink

PPS. Where's the BBCode table gone?

Pro_News CM™ - Content Management for Dragonfly CMS™

Linux / 1.3.39 - 2.4.9 / 5.5.42 - 5.6.16 / 5.4.37 - 5.5.11 / 9.4

Hahah you are right, i know that Wink

I've used Pro News 4.0.0 for testing on PHP 7.2 and Df v10.

What do you mean with "BBCode table gone", i can see it

DJ Maze wrote
Hahah you are right, i know that Wink

I've used Pro News 4.0.0 for testing on PHP 7.2 and Df v10.

What do you mean with "BBCode table gone", i can see it

BAH! js reqd for BBCode table display!

< Hahah you are right, i know that Wink > about what?

Pro_News CM™ - Content Management for Dragonfly CMS™

Linux / 1.3.39 - 2.4.9 / 5.5.42 - 5.6.16 / 5.4.37 - 5.5.11 / 9.4

Should this topic be split? Lots of good information here that is not related to the original topic title.

I feel certain that there are some people who would like to know how to extend their v.9.4 versions of dragonfly into the realm of php7+.

And the next question would be... how can this be done? Are the files hosted in the public area anywhere? Any support, even if only with a forum area?

Better yet, could the altered files be merged with v.9.4 and be supported here to extend the life of their site?

Devuan ascii / Apache 2.4.2x / MariaDB 10.x / PHP 7.0x / DF 9.8 (updated)