General ⇒ Announcements :: Archives ⇒ CPG-CS Certified Secure™ :: Archived ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum IndexAnnouncements

Archived ⇒ CPG-CS Certified Secure™

djdevon3 wrote
my mom makes $12,000 a year btw not me. i know i dont have it as bad as some of the people chinabrit describes but im not far off. i enjoy working on modules and giving them away for free. that's part of the open spirit of cpg. now the name changed to dragonfly. seems about right if you analyze that.

I appreciate your situation, and don't take my comments wrong. But there are real companies out there that want a real solution and there is no reason on earth why they can't pay for it (why should your work be used by them for free?). Believe it or not the reason some software costs so darn much money is because companies believe they get what they pay for, and if it doesn't cost anything thats because it's no good. Studies have shown that the exact same product priced at a consumer model and another priced at a corporate model (enterprise lets say)

If there is no support or certification process (and this is too cheap) then again corporations are not going to look seriously at this and move on to other products.

I for one believe CPGNUKE is as good as any corporate portal I've used, it just lacks the $$$ features companies are looking for.

So I do want to see CPGNUKE move to a more PAID model, not necessarily remove it from the open source movement or model, just move in the direction of PROFESSIONAL TOOLS in the open source movement, and devise methods of making money around that model.

This is a great method and ensures you can still afford the software, and others who can and DO want to spend the money get their monies worth.

I for one charge a minimum of $400 to install any software on a server, regardless of the license or cost of the software. In most cases I do not even provide the software.

So my clients want to see a serious product at the end that meets their needs and requirements, and of course I must support them through the testing and implementing phases, even afterwards in a few cases.

Today most people can simply download CPGNUKE and upload it and in 5 minutes be up and running (conversion not included) so it's not really a task requiring professional services. To call up a PC repair person to come over and fix my computer costs about $80.00 per hour here (some charge up to $120.00). They don't own any of the software or hardware, they are charging for their services. This is all that CPG-CS certification will provide, a charge for their services to 'certify' this product. Choice is yours, but I know that this stamp of approval will mean more to a director of a company than my simply saying so. So I see great value for this expenditure. Unlike some of the people seeing this thinking its a way to make money for the developers and they getting nothing out of this. This is the problem with FREE stuff....you don't see the REAL VALUE in the product. Smile

A good analogy is the two kids who live next door to each other both getting their drivers licenses, and getting their first car to call their own.

One gets the car given to them by their parents, the other works to save the money and buys their own.

Who appreciates the car more? Generally the one how spent his own money.

By the same token if someone goes and buys Windows Server 2003 they can install it themselves (its not that hard) but in most cases they ask me. This is great but I charge for this just as I would charge to install CPGNUKe. No difference (well I might charge more for WS2003 since it's more work Smile )

I like the $5.00 analogy posted above, because for me $5.00 doesn't even cover an hour of parking in my office building. It doesn't even buy me lunch or a pack of cigarettes (no I don't smoke), so if someone offered me $5.00 I'd be liable to return it to them. Just to go see a movie is a $50 evening for two.

So if it costs a developer $5.00 to certify a module, and he deems to turn around and sell it for $50.00 that's great. Now you have a choice. Buy his, make your own, or do without. He could also decide to give the module for free, having another plan up his sleeve (maybe he will spam you). But for that corporate customer he will look at the CPG-CS version and the other version knowing nothing other than this, and probably go with the one that costs money, because he can see value with this and none in the free version. ROI and TCO are important terms in todays IT envirnoments and free simply means less or worse not better. So this is a detriment to a product such as dragonfly making inroads into this market.

Remember freedom of choice is what makes the world go round, but be strong enough to make choices you can live with.

Unfortunately too many people don't believe in choice or understand that two choices can be correct. Something for the youngsters to learn and here is as good a place as any.

My thoughts, not yours.

J.
j e r u v y a t y a h o o d o t c o m

Need help? Look here: www.dragonflycms.org/W...d=112.html
Need to chat? Look for me on irc.freenode.net

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
Ubuntu7.10/Debian3.1 - 2.2.3/1.3.37 - 5.0.38/4.0.27 - 5.2.1/4.4.7 - CVS/9.1.2}

👏 I think u hit that nail right on top of the head with that post Jeruvy.

.::..::.

Linux/2.2.6/5.0.86/5.2.8/9.3.2

bigern75 wrote
👏 I think u hit that nail right on top of the head with that post Jeruvy.

Can't say more to that. Cool

What is The Viperal ?
Email: viperal1 @ gmail.com

Please enter your server specs in your user profile! 😢

I think that we should have different type of certificate

Platinum: Secure, Admin Interface, Good Code, his own Template System, DB cache, Nice Looking...so the top.....
Gold: Secure module with admin interface .....
Secure: Secure Module .........

This is just an example but the idea is to have different classification of Secure Modules.

.:: I met php the 03 December 2003 :: Unforgettable day! ::.

CloudLinux / Apache 2.4 LSAPI / MySQLi 5.6 / PHP 5.6 / DCVS

Ooo But I like silver...gottta have a silver... Smile

J.
j e r u v y a t y a h o o d o t c o m

Need help? Look here: www.dragonflycms.org/W...d=112.html
Need to chat? Look for me on irc.freenode.net

Ubuntu7.10/Debian3.1 - 2.2.3/1.3.37 - 5.0.38/4.0.27 - 5.2.1/4.4.7 - CVS/9.1.2}

Boy does this thread bring back some memories (as I jump into the way-back machine and review my old notes and emails).

I'm extremely pleased to see this concept moving forward.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to contribute to this effort.

Thanks

Steph
64bit.us
The IT Portal for IT People!

2.6.9-11.ELsmp/Apache-1.3.33(Unix)/MySQL-4.0.25/PHP-4.4.0 (CGI-Mode)/Nuke7.6Patched31, Platinum7612-patched31,7.8patched31, Dragonfly (all)

I like this idea, and would like to add that I am more than willing to pay for well-developed modules that suit my needs.

The standard charge will be $0.001 a byte of php/html, more or less depending on the complexity of the module.

Just a suggestion: charge for the number of bytes, not counting comment code-- the last thing you want is people submitting code that is devoid of comments just so they can shave some $ off their cost.

Linux / Apache 1.3.31 / MySQL 4.0.20-log / PHP 4.3.10 / Dragonfly 9.0.1 Final

Doesn't your quote say just that "a byte of php/html" cannot be defined as comments, now can it?

Andreas Rönnqvist
www.omegaproject.se
[OmegaProject] Founder

Linux/Apache 2.0.52(Unix)/4.0.23/4.3.10-2/Dragonfly 9.0.6.1

Well, there are comment tags for php and for html; my interpretation of the cost per byte is that the cost to certify would be based on the sum of the total file sizes. I think it would be important to clarify that the cost to get a module certified is the based on the total number of bytes, sans comments. Just my humble opinion.

Linux / Apache 1.3.31 / MySQL 4.0.20-log / PHP 4.3.10 / Dragonfly 9.0.1 Final

What does that entail? What does that mean the code went through?

What does it take to get something cerified for CPG? In other words, say I wanted something I did or had a hand in getting done CPG certified, what would I need to do?

And are any of the CPG main coders ever interested in taking coding requests/orders/jobs if they are well-paid? I mean outside of general donations which I'd still do anyway.

If these questions have been answered before, could you point me at them? I haven't found them in previous searches.

[ Linux / Apache 2.2.8 / MySQL 5.0.45 / PHP 5.2.6 / CPG 8.2b - 9.3.4.1]

merged to the topic

Ubuntu/Apache 2.2.22/MySQL 5.6.34/PHP 7.1.22/DragonFly 10.0.48.9418

Awww thank you Phoenix!!! Somehow I missed this thread :😊:

I'll go read it all from the start now.

I see that the certification questions I asked in the post that Phoenix was kind enough to merge with this one for me were mostly answered in this thread.

I am still curious about cog coders doing paid porting or coding. I could hire a coder for those things I need but I was sorta hoping to get someone that was already really familiar with CPG nuke and that would make passing the certification quickly a lot more likely.

Otherwise I'd wind up waiting for a coder to learn what makes CPG different than then wroking through their learning process.

I'm less concerned with price than I am with it working properly and doing what I need or am looking for. I don't have bottomless pockets lol, but I'm not thinking in the 5 buck ranges either.

I also have less of an issue paying a coder that is building CPGnuke from the get go than I would from a regualr coder as I'm less secure that I'd wind up with a working addon than I would if the folks that are building this created it. So I'm willing to pay first.

And if you are a coder that looks at my supporter icon as to whether or not I'm serious about putting money where my mouth is, please realize that isn't accurate right now - but should be once they tally up the next months donations. Though they are missing a donation of mine at last count ... I think the missing donation credit won't affect the rank level.

So I'm serious. And would like to see if that is a possiblity.

Thanks!

oops does appear that my lost donation will affect the ranking ... sheesh by 5 bucks LOL thats so sad rofl I think I'll go rectify that and donate another 5 bucks lolol ... but it would be nice to one day have that donation credited to this name someday!

An old post raised from the grave...

My Beta2 RG_Sports module is out and I'm hoping to have a full Dragonly release (cpg_inst.php and all) available for Monday.

Now if I were to offer a fee for one of the cpg/Dragonfly team to certify the module secure what would be the reaction? You can download the Beta HERE to get some idea of the code size/work scope.

The fee I had in mind was £100 (uk pounds).

gerry @ redgerry.com
redgerry.com
clacks.co
123v.com
copseygroup.com

Suse11.4 - LAMP on zypper - ISPConfig 3