Miscellaneous ⇒ Licenses, GPL & Violations :: Archives ⇒ May i sell CPG-Nuke or an derivative work :: Archived ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum IndexLicenses, GPL & Violations

Archived ⇒ May i sell CPG-Nuke or an derivative work

Greetings

I don't know if somebody will read this.. come on!! It doesn't even have a Moderator Sad

I've a question about license; I really don't know much about them, so please help me because I don't want to end in jail Rolling Eyes

Somebody hired me to build his web/portal.. Can I use CPGNuke???
I know cpg is open source yadayadayada.. and I know I can't charge for selling it, but I'm allow to charge for the work??

Hope somebody understand the question Mr. Green
Bye
?

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
Gentoo Apache 2 Mysql4 PHP4 CPGNuke latest

I think this is a good question to get this forum started. Having an explanation in lay terms as far as using CPG as a base for a design that you are selling to someone else.

My understanding is that you can charge for any work you put into your clients design. You must leave the Credits as stated in the GPL.

Search is your friend

Fedora Core 1, Apache 1.3.33, Mysql 4.1.14, PHP 5.0.5 w/ APC cache, Dragonfly 9.0.6.1

You may offer payment for done work, installation and support.
However there are certain restrictions that apply:

- The person is allowed to distribute your modifications under the rules of GPL
- The person must be informed that the system is a derevative work of or a full version of CPG-Nuke and that it is copyrighted using the GNU GPL and that comes without any warranty and that it's freely available at cpgnuke.com

Your new own coded files are no derevative work and can be handled as seperate works BUT since your files interact with CPG-Nuke and can't work without CPG-Nuke they are in a "gray" area to be GPL or not. This could give trouble IF the person reads the license and you must tell exactly why your files have a different license.
In CPG-Nuke 9.0 this issue will be handled properly but NOT in any previous release.

Fedora 25 / Apache 2.4.27 / MariaDB 10.1.26 / PHP 7.1.10 / Mercurial

nice Smile

Search is your friend

Fedora Core 1, Apache 1.3.33, Mysql 4.1.14, PHP 5.0.5 w/ APC cache, Dragonfly 9.0.6.1