Miscellaneous ⇒ User & Newbie Resources :: Archives ⇒ Uniform Server for CPG-Nuke Local Testing :: Archived ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum IndexUser & Newbie Resources

Archived ⇒ Uniform Server for CPG-Nuke Local Testing

Not really sure where to post this so I'm dropping it in here...

I was just looking at the Wiki and was kind of surprised to see a guide for installing Apache, PHP, and MySQL. This seems like too much work for local testing alone and somewhat beyond the scope of the Wiki. So I suggest you just post a link to Uniform Server and maybe their install instructions. This would only apply for Windows users, Linux users should already have Apache in their distro and everyone else will just have to get Apache.

About Uniform Server:
A package of the latest versions of Apache, Active Perl, PHP, MySQL, and phpMyAdmin. It also includes a file manager and a few other plugins. It comes in an extremely easy to install package, just unzip and run start.bat. The only problem I had getting it to run was a rediction error, just had to run through the conf files to fix it. Took all of 30 minutes from downloading the server to finishing the CPG-Nuke install, would have been faster but I'm on dialup so the download was slow.

Uniform Server:
http://miniserver.sourceforge.net/

-MegaBurn

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
Linux-2.4.21/1.3.31/4.0.18/4.3.4/9.0.1.1

Well first off your right you can install various Apache/MySQL/PHP packages to develop with locally. Most of them come with Apache 2.0 and the latest versions of PHP and MySQL compiled as a CGI module. However we have found that Apache 1.3.x with PHP compiled into it runs much faster especially running on a local development work station.

My suggestion is to use a pre-made like xampp that is a unzip it run it delete it package to get started and then download and install to get started.

If you really want to get a good understanding on how these apps work with each other you should try downloading the installers for apache mysql and php from their sites respectivly and get the full knowledge of how these programs interact with cpgnuke cms.

be aware that some of the complete packages leave configuration files behind like my.conf in your c:\windows or other directories that will over ride your directives so if your having problems and you have tried various versions you may have various config files floating around that will over ride.

The wiki will have more information as soon as we nail down the default editor there should be alot more info posted there in the future. Did my posting on httpd.conf help for your straightening out your conf files?

OSX / Apache 2 / MySQL 4 / PHP 4

Guess this is a good noob resource...

With a web server on a local development workstation running on loopback I'm not worried about speed. Uniform Sever doesn't place any files outside of the folder you put it in.

This also makes it easy to drop it on to a flash drive and move it from pc to pc, plug n play web server. If you install a web based office suite or other productivity packages and copy the folder to a USB flash drive its great for working on public terminals or anywhere else. Just clear the web browser's cache before you leave and sync the database with a local server when you get back to your workstation.

I haven't tried other packages like this for Apache (or other web servers). Normally I do install with the official installers when I setup a windows server. On Linux and other OS's I normally use the packages that come with the distro, most offer both Apache 1.3x and 2.x. Sorry I didn't see your post on httpd.conf, I knew roughly where the problem was in the conf file. I like scrolling thorugh the conf/ini files anyway, just tweak things as I go.

If I find any other good noob resources I'll post them here. Sorry I didn't put my initial post here, I wan't sure where to put it. Thanks for the reply.

Thanks,
-MegaBurn

We don't want to provide pre-made packages, and trust me each package is a headache.

Providing info about apache, php and mysql thereselves is 100% better since at the end people will understand what each part does and how to configure.

If i slightly modify something in my system (aka login as user NOT admin and only give write permission to c:\temp for admins) and ask at XAMPP or Uniserve why my sessions system isn't working i bet no-one has a answer within a few weeks, and secondly "i" don't have a clue where to look at.

By providing a noob resource how to setup httpd.conf and php.ini they already know where everything is located/pointing to.
So if someone says "sessions" is not working and i reply "is your session.save_path" accessible ?
Then they will say "shoot" i don't have permission.

By using packages it's always looking for a needle in the haystack.

Fedora 25 / Apache 2.4.27 / MariaDB 10.1.26 / PHP 7.1.10 / Mercurial

Ok. No pre-made packages on this site.

I have not used xampp or any other pre-made servers like this, just Uniform Server –and only for a couple weeks. Normally I work with Apache or IIS. I hate IIS so I would suggest Uniform Server over IIS and full Apache over Uniform Server - and Linux with full Apache over windows with full Apache.

Since my last post I moved it over to my laptop and a USB flash drive. No problems, no config changes (except shortcuts), and it works great. Just don't use it for coding or other heavy development - not something a noob would be doing anyway. I’m using it to work on websites when I can’t get internet access and testing things I don’t trust enough to put on my local server. I only have CPG-Nuke on the flash drive but I’ll add something lamp based for productivity. It should also work for 120MB CD business card demos without too much trouble. I guess that’s where my persistence in this thread comes from, this little package is surprisingly useful and seems to work better than I anticipated.

I still recommend it for noobs looking for a step between learning to install a CMS and learning to install/configure Apache, PHP, and MySQL. Since there is no install, just unzip and run, if the server gets messed up you just delete the directory and unzip a clean copy.

Anyway, it was just a suggestion to try to help out and not intended as a criticism of the wiki or the requirement for everyone to eventually learn how to work with Apache, PHP, and MySQL.

Thanks,
-MegaBurn

I do agree it's easy especialy when you need to travel with your usb stick or something.

Fedora 25 / Apache 2.4.27 / MariaDB 10.1.26 / PHP 7.1.10 / Mercurial