Miscellaneous ⇒ Licenses, GPL & Violations :: Archives ⇒ GPL or not: state it more clearly! :: Archived ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum IndexLicenses, GPL & Violations

Archived ⇒ GPL or not: state it more clearly!

I have my own module wihich I developed for PHP-Nuke and it is for some certain kind of bussines.
Recently I switched to dragonfly and going to update my module to fit to it.

Two reasons were behind my decision:

1. More secure and less known (so scriptkiddies yet not started with CPGNuke Smile )

2. And also since I am going to sale my module I need possibility to have another license for my module than GPL.

PHP-Nuke lucks it and it makes it impossible to secure my work (anybody who even bought it in form of "installation service" will distribute it and I can not do anything to stop it due to GPL).

I found this note in index.php file, on the site is not so easy find this licensing info:
"As a special exception, the copyright holders of CPG Dragonfly CMS give you
permission to link CPG Dragonfly CMS with independent modules that communicate with
CPG Dragonfly CMS solely through the CPG-Core interface, regardless of the license
terms of these independent modules, and to copy and distribute the
resulting combined work under terms of your choice, provided that
every copy of the combined work is accompanied by a complete copy of
the source code of CPG Dragonfly CMS (the version of CPG Dragonfly CMS used to produce the
combined work), being distributed under the terms of the GNU General
Public License plus this exception. An independent module is a module
which is not derived from or based on CPG Dragonfly CMS."

If I understood right this note gives me a right to have "my own" license on the module I developed.

My question is: Is Dragonfly an ancestor of PHP-Nuke in term of GPL licensing and if so it can not be limited by "exception" mentioned above or starting release 9.xxx CPGNuke (not 8.xxx) is absolutely another SW which is also CMS but has nothing to do with PHP Nuke?

If so (not PHPNuke ancestor) it is very good!!
To provide more PR to Dragonfly it must be mentioned on the site in some easy to find place (like "License" entry in main menu) because it will attract small and average size bussines users and developers who works for that segment of bussines and make commercial product for them, like me.

It will make Dragonfly looking more mature, not just another php scripted CMS.
It must be !!!CLEARLY!!! stated because for me with 4 years PHP Nuke experince was difficult to dig for thi info.

This will add more "oxygen" to the project!!

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
CentOS3.3/2.x/4.1.x/4.3.x/9.1

I'm moving this to the "Licenses, GPL ..." Forums.

No doubt DJMaze will respond Smile

DonationsPro for DragonflyCMS & SMF

Dragonfly uses parts of PHP-Nuke and other software code and that's why it's GPL.

However, since it's a different system we have our own GPL and in the FAQ of the GPL it says we are allowed to use exceptions.

The mentioned exception allows you to:
1. write non-GPL add-ons (modules, themes, whatever)
2. distribute the combined work as long as the original dragonfly pack is included as well.

By developing a non-GPL add-on you're NOT allowed to use code from Dragonfly other then using the variables, objects and functions.
Your files must not be based on a existing file, for example you copy /modules/Your_Account/index.php and modify that file. You may however distribute documentation how to change that file.

We don't fully announce this addition on the website since we prefer people writing GPL add-ons instead of commercial add-ons.
Afterall it's a bit odd people use our success to make profit and we don't.
However to remove the "oddness" we do grant you to use commercial add-ons and hope some donations to support Dragonfly will follow, that way everyone is happy and we don't have to ask $10 distribution costs Very happy

Fedora 25 / Apache 2.4.27 / MariaDB 10.1.26 / PHP 7.1.10 / Mercurial

>We don't fully announce this addition on the website since we prefer people writing GPL add-ons instead of commercial add-ons.

As I mentioned in my post I am writing commercial module for some kind of bussines (I do not want to disclosure it here). What use is for Dragonfly community to get for example some plugin for SAP, or let say software for railway station :-)? Not all sotware is good for all...

>Afterall it's a bit odd people use our success to make profit and we don't.

This is partly wrong. Who said that you will not benefit form another people success? I was using PHP-Nuke for three-four years and during this time I paid a few times $10 for monthly club membership - it was my way to say "thank you".
If I see that Dragonfly is good I will do the same here... It is up to people to pay or not, but I believe that some people do that...

>However to remove the "oddness" we do grant you to use commercial add-ons and hope some donations to support Dragonfly will follow, that way everyone is happy and we don't have to ask $10 distribution costs Very happy

You could make a list of those who donated with URLs of their sites as I seen on Mambo or somewhere else (do not remember exactly)...
People will be proud to see their name (of course if they agree to be listed). And people who have not paid will see it and probably join to that list as well...

I think it is matter of own proudness to pay $10 if you use some SW extensivelly.

CentOS3.3/2.x/4.1.x/4.3.x/9.1

javafaq wrote
>We don't fully announce this addition on the website since we prefer people writing GPL add-ons instead of commercial add-ons.

As I mentioned in my post I am writing commercial module for some kind of bussines (I do not want to disclosure it here). What use is for Dragonfly community to get for example some plugin for SAP, or let say software for railway station :-)? Not all sotware is good for all...

We know that, and that's one of the reasons i ment.

javafaq wrote
>Afterall it's a bit odd people use our success to make profit and we don't.

This is partly wrong. Who said that you will not benefit form another people success? I was using PHP-Nuke for three-four years and during this time I paid a few times $10 for monthly club membership - it was my way to say "thank you".
If I see that Dragonfly is good I will do the same here... It is up to people to pay or not, but I believe that some people do that...

I think you didn't understand me there.

javafaq wrote
>However to remove the "oddness" we do grant you to use commercial add-ons and hope some donations to support Dragonfly will follow, that way everyone is happy and we don't have to ask $10 distribution costs Very happy

You could make a list of those who donated with URLs of their sites as I seen on Mambo or somewhere else (do not remember exactly)...
People will be proud to see their name (of course if they agree to be listed). And people who have not paid will see it and probably join to that list as well...

I think it is matter of own proudness to pay $10 if you use some SW extensivelly.

See dragonflycms.org/Groups/g=7.html this group consists of people who donated. The list gets updated when we have time for it.

Since the last part of my messages probably wasn't clear i will try it again.

1. PHP-Nuke and others use the full GPL without exceptions and due to that you're not allowed to built anything that has a different license. So your SAP, railway add-on or theme must be GPL as well.
You may however ask money for distribution costs and additional support, but if someone does it he is free to distribute it anyway.

2. To avoid this and many other issues regarding people who don't understand the GPL and are spamming people who do understand, we added the additional exception so that you may write any add-on under a different license.

3. We don't fully announce it because there are other issues with providing commercial add-ons and this has to do with MySQL. MySQL has a dual license and does strictly mention a difference between free and commercial software. Since your add-on is a commercial product and that it uses MySQL you must be the proud owner of a commercial license www.mysql.com/company/...licensing/

I hope this makes my previous post more explained

Fedora 25 / Apache 2.4.27 / MariaDB 10.1.26 / PHP 7.1.10 / Mercurial