Miscellaneous ⇒ User & Newbie Resources :: Archives ⇒ Current developement and the Future of Dragonfly :: Archived ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum IndexUser & Newbie Resources

Archived ⇒ Current developement and the Future of Dragonfly

Afternoon People,

I have been following the activity on this forum for a couple of months now and have installed and run a version of DragonflyCMS on my test systems.

It does seem like the ideal platform for a project which I intend to start on in earnest over the next month. The project will involve writing from scratch a couple of pretty large modules... So i need to make sure that I have chosen the right back-end CMS for my project.

I have a number of questions though, which I was hoping some-one could help me answer, sorry if this is not being asked in the right place.

1. How many people are currently developing the DragonFly core,
2. is this a "spare time" project, with no firm ideas of version timetables.
3. is there a comprehensive road-map, which can help me establish what the development teams priorities are as far as features are concerned.
4. since the CPGBB module is no longer compatible with PHPBB, how many people are working on its development currently, and what is its feature/timetable/roadmap etc.
5. Is dragonFlys current API how the core Dev. team see the future of this CMS, or are they currently working on a "complete rewrite" type situation... what I mean is, if I write a series of modules for dragonfly 9... will I be re-writing them again for dragonfly 10.

From what I have seen so far I have been very impressed, however, before I commit my future to developing for this excellent young CMS, I would like to know its future plans.
Ta,
Phil...

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):

1. 3 people are the main 'core' developers, besides them there are many other people involved who try to make the core compatible with PostgreSQL and update the language packs and bug fixes.

2. this is "spare time" with a limited income BUT we have a version timetable

3. There's no roadmap for several reasons, as we use this as "spare time" we also design websites for others and due to those orders we fix/modify the core based on those orders and reported bugs.
Mainly we wanted to create a stable core first but that's still far from perfect due continiously found bugs issues (also regarding PHP functions and extensions).
Since Dragonfly is pretty advanced due to UTF and many other included features a roadmap is hard to achieve while new issues rise.

4. The BB has no development for now due to several issues raised by members and us. To achieve fixes and better functionality other parts of dragonfly have to re-designed first (like the Search facility)
However there are a few people working on the BB regarding our unfinished sub-forums system.

5. Dragonfly 9.x core is "as is" which means there will be no drastical changes (read above mentioned versioning). If we DO change drasticaly 10.x might be incompatible but we decided to keep that far, far away (say 5 years)

As you notice there's no roadmap/timetable and that's because it's a "spare time" project and we don't wanna rush things unless someone can pay us $2000 a month to work on it full-time.

Fedora 25 / Apache 2.4.27 / MariaDB 10.1.26 / PHP 7.1.10 / Mercurial

We just launched our first DF site www.wyomingwatercolorsociety.org and we wanted to write and say "thank you". In May, we began working on our first html site. We never even dreamed that we could build such a full featured site ourselves. Dragonfly made it easy even for ultimate beginners like ourselves. For that we thank you.

it's a "spare time" project and we don't wanna rush things unless someone can pay us $2000 a month to work on it full-time.

When we read that quote above, we remembered reading somewhere that 50,000+ people have downloaded some form of this CMS. We cannot believe that 50,000 people cannot produce $2000 per month if that is all it takes to get you to work on this full time. So we made a small donation...$12 to be exact. We are posting the amount to make everyone who reads this stop and think, "What is a buck a month for a stable, full featured, awesomely supported CMS?" We will even go further and issue a challenge to everyone who has a DF site up and running to donate at least $1.00 per month to the cause. If 50,000+ people have it downloaded, there has to be 2000 people with sites up and running.

The site we just set up was for a non-profit organization, and we did it free of charge. The next two are going to be for our personal businesses. We should have both of them converted over by January. We are sure that having the clean, fast navigation and database capabilities of the dragonfly platform will increase our conversions. So we are going to up the ante on these sites and pledge 1% of any increase in profit we see for the year 2006 after the DF site launches. Let's make this a challenge to everyone who is making money off of their DF powered sites.

Thanks again for making this incredible tool available and we hope these challenges help you on the financial end of things. After all you have put into this and accomplished, you deserve the best.

Sincerely,
Ryan and Amy Everhart
Chiropractor, Public Speaker, and Health Coach
Custom Watercolor Artist

XP/1.3.33/4.0.22 / 4.3.10/9.0.5.0

Admin, feel free to move the previous post or cross-post it to wherever you thing it will do the most good.

Ryan & Amy

XP/1.3.33/4.0.22 / 4.3.10/9.0.5.0