Miscellaneous ⇒ User & Newbie Resources :: Archives ⇒ If You Could Start Your Site Over... :: Archived ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum IndexUser & Newbie Resources

Archived ⇒ If You Could Start Your Site Over...

What would you do different?

I am considering starting a website, but I thought I might ask for some caveats and pitfalls others have run into in their own experiences.

Thanks for any guidance/insight you guys can provide!

SEARCH the WIKI
How to Port for Dragonfly

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
Linux/Apache/MySQL 4.1.22/PHP 4.4.6/9.1.2.1

I'd use cpgnuke without making the mistake of using phpnuke first and I'd start with my current host instead of suffereing through 3 prior horrible ones first. Other then that, not much would change.

NEMINI.org, NEMINI.us, NEMINI.info, NYMINI.org

1.3.34 (Unix)/4.1.18-standard/4.4.2 /9.1.0.8 CVS

I would have definitely started with Dragonfly as well, instead of phpnuke, although Dragonfly still needs some PostgreSQL work. Much better base that just about anything else I've looked at.

Debian Sarge 2.6.8/2.0.54/Postgres 7.4.7/4.3.10/9.0.5.0+

Umm..I would maybe put content on my site that people actually liked. Very Happy Whoever finds this content, let me know.

Why is it that there's always more month at the end of my money?

Linux/1.3.33/4.0.25-standard/4.3.10/9.0.5.0

I whas using phpnuke in the begin but after some time i got problems so i deletet my wole site and start over again with dragonfly and i say its much better Very Happy

Anime pictures
animeinvasion.no-ip.org/

I"m redoing my entire site FROM SCRATCH as we speak using df...have o idea what i'm doing or what I'm putting up there..........it's pretty darn useless.............I just cannot think of anything to do..BUT I'M TRYING..so go ahead and start from scratch...it's fun!!

dragonfly

My sentiments are with NEMINI exactly! I would never have used phpnuke because in the end I lost about 2000 users due to security. I also would have gone straight for site5 hosting and not bothered with previous crapola bargin basement generic crap hosts. I would have also gone with godaddy for my domain registration because netsol is 3x as much for the same service.

As far as my actual content it's pretty much been the same across all of my sites and still getting steady hits. The modules and themes are much better now. I wish I had the module available now back when I started. That's about it. My journey thus far with Dragonfly has been smooth sailing. Seriously it's like riding a sailboat off into the sunset. Most of the things I do wrong are user error and my own fault. Things don't normally break, I don't get error codes that I don't know what they are anymore. Only after a year of being a Dragonfly admin I'm pretty in tune with the cms.

So to make a long story short. The only thing I wish I did differently was start using DF sooner.

Linux/1.3.33/4.4/4.3.11

Not wast a year on Postnuke and then phpbb, we have a phpbb gaming site right now but thats going to go as we are setting up our new site using DF, and I have done so much with it in one day that would take a week with Postnuke (if it could be done at all) and even longer with phpbb.

Know from the start what you want your site to be and do, spent too long on just adding stuff to PN just cos it looked good and end up with a site thats all over the place. With phpbb I did learn a lot of PHP and HTML from adding lots of hacks/mods so I hope to start coding for df as soon as I get under its hood more Smile

Linux, 1.3.33 (Unix), 4.0.24, PHP-4.3.11, DF-9.0.6.1

I concur with NEMINI and DJDevon3 with no doubt. When I redid my IT Resources. I also start my site from scratch with Dragonfly, I would recommend that you do so that way. I would not suggest upgrading your site. On the other hand if you want to save your data there might be a way to convert or save your data then import them to your new site.

Lead Theme Designer - WebSiteGuru Designs

Linux 2.6.9 / Apache 2.2.6 / MySQL 5.0.27 / PHP 5 / DF Version 9.2.1

yeah I upgraded one of my sites but have problems once in awhile that I don't have on my fresh one. but there was too much data to start from scratch

Linux/1.3.33 (Unix)/4.0.22-standard/4.3.9/DF 9.x

I know there are a lot of 8.2b users still out there. Since just about all modules are now ported just about everyone should be running dragonfly. My point being that when upgrading from 8.2b it's the same as upgrading from phpnuke, phpbb, or postnuke. Everything is incompatible and needs to be put into the database manually. It's tedious work and depending on the size of your site it could take weeks inputting all of the data manually into module tables.

For instance I've finally upgraded one of my sites from 8.2b last week because I needed cpgnucalendar or something comparable. Well the new module is completely different from the old one. So all of my old events and user entries have to be put in manually. That's going to take about a day to do. With a larger site I could see it taking weeks. Upgrading data manually is a real pita. I've got to thank NEMINI for taking me through doing it step by step. That alone has boosted my capabilities as an admin 10x. A firm understanding of how to manually compare tables and update data is invaluable to a cms admin.

If I could figure out how to get fraps working I could do some really good tutorials.

Linux/1.3.33/4.4/4.3.11

i would have gotten a custom linux server that i could monitor from home that i built custom. then i would run DF on it and have a web guy preform the nessessary operations on it.

but the custom server would be what i wanted. it would have been so much easier for me if i would have done a custom dedicated server.

i'm just that sweet

Windows XP | P4HT 3.4| 1.5GB RAM | 256 Vid Card PCIX | Apache2.0.52 | MySQL 1.4.8 | PHP 4.3.10 | 9.03

Lessons the hard way:

Coding:
Call central files for as much code as you can.
Inline code is bad.
Content and code are different. Don't mix them.

Speed:
Speed is important. Not everyone has it.
Warn people before making them download 200MB.
Pictures are great. Choose the smallest format.

Know what the tool is doing for you in the background. Digging into code when all hell breaks just prolongs your time in purgatory.

I've done a couple of major revisions (code language changes vs upgrades) of sites. Never fun, always takes more time then you have.

Grinning ear to ear...

I do not restart my sites without good reasons. Honestly, you should not restart a site for the hell of it, making sites is annoying and slow,(but not with CPG-Nuke).

FreeBSD/1.3.33 (Unix)/4.1.13-log/4.4.0+5.0.4(Using 4.4.0)/9.0.5.0 for teenout.com

If I have to restart o make a new site, i will probably use CPG.

But first I need to port my actual site( but lazy to do that rigth now Wink

phpnuke