Miscellaneous ⇒ Licenses, GPL & Violations :: Archives ⇒ Posting RSS Feeds :: Archived ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum IndexLicenses, GPL & Violations

Archived ⇒ Posting RSS Feeds

Hey Everybody,

I'm curious to findout if there are any issues regarding copyrights to posting RSS feeds on my website. For example: Would it be a problem if I posted the RSS headlines feed in a block on my website from www.cnn.com?

PartyMarty

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
Windows_NT/Apache/1.3.33 (Win32) PHP/4.3.10/4.1.9-max/4.3.10/9.0.4.0

Not quite what this forum was intended for - suggest you ask CNN about that.

DonationsPro for DragonflyCMS & SMF

RSS feeds are meant to be syndicated. Your not actually reproducing the articles just the headlines and a link to the article. CNN has one of the hardest copyrights. They specify that content can not be copied or redistributed without their consent. Since an RSS feed gives them more traffic and acts as more of a teaser than an article feed I don't think they would have an issue with it. I've had CNN in my feeder for months for their technology watch feed. It's awesome. I visit CNN 10x more with that feeder than I ever have before. But as phoenix said if you want to know for sure contact cnn's webmaster for a ruling on their rss and link to your feeder so they can see it. If CNN gives the feeder a thumbs up then pretty much everyone on the planet will.

Linux/1.3.33/4.4/4.3.11

www.cnn.com/services/rss/#terms

Win, Linux/1.3.34/4.0.26, 5.0.19/4.3.10, 5.1.2, 8.1.4(PostgresSQL)/9.0.6.1, CVS

Link to Content Pages:
The RSS service may be used only with those platforms from which a functional link is made available that, when accessed, takes the viewer directly to the display of the full article on the CNN Site. You may not display the RSS Content in a manner that does not permit successful linking to, redirection to or delivery of the applicable CNN Site web page. You may not insert any intermediate page, splash page or other content between the RSS link and the applicable CNN Site web page.

all of their policies use good common sense and good netiquette. the above policy says you can use it as long as you dont edit the way the rss feeder displays stories. the stock rss feeder module available here through dragonfly downloads complies with cnn's policies.

Linux/1.3.33/4.4/4.3.11