Dragonfly CMS v9 ⇒ Modules & Blocks :: Archives ⇒ DragonCASH: A points system for dragonfly! :: Archived (page 4) ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum IndexModules & Blocks

Archived ⇒ DragonCASH: A points system for dragonfly!

Can you please send e-mail me the files you have done so far, to see if i can complete it for you? I will be more willing to do it, as i want to use this mod if and when it is released.

My e-mail is angelfire [at] gmail [dot] com.

Thanks dude.

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
FreeBSD/1.3.33 (Unix)/4.1.13-log/4.4.0+5.0.4(Using 4.4.0)/9.0.5.0 for teenout.com

I would love to see this module come to fruition. It would be great for my clan site. If you guys get this up and going again then I will gladly contribute some funding once you release a working beta.

XP/Dragonfly

Just an update - I spoke to Dantarion and he has no intention of passing along his work so that people here can pick up from where he left off with this module.

Someone will have to start this thing up from scratch.

I will remain open to contributing some money when I see an open beta. I'd do it myself, but I know nothing about PHP programming.

XP/Dragonfly

Last edited by Fever on Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

now i'm curious as to what happened...

hopefully someone will pick this up...it would be excellent., i would do it...but i'm no where near that good Sad

Nascar Racing World
Earn some extra money (i know a lot of people don't believe in these things...but i wanna let you know...i just got over 4 grand deposited in my account...)

Linux CentOS/1.3.34 (Unix)/4.1.14-standard/4.4.0/9.0.6.1

I've looked that cash system on the phpBB hack board, but that's only a partial solution..... What we need, and the reason that Dantarion passed on it again, is a module that has hooks, just like the Discuss_This module where it can be put into play and "hooked" into the system, looking for actions, admin configurable, and award cash/points/bananas/whatever.

I've got a copy of phpnuke around ehre, I might take a look one of these days and see.

quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Debian 6.07/Apache 2.x/MySQL 5.x/PHP 5.3/DF 9.x

All hacks should be converted to modules to allow for easy upward compatability or upward porting. forum hacks are awesome things but hard to impliment for new admins, really hard to maintain through upgrades, and almost impossible to repair for new admins if it breaks.

Linux/1.3.33/4.4/4.3.11

djdevon3 wrote
All hacks should be converted to modules to allow for easy upward compatability or upward porting. forum hacks are awesome things but hard to impliment for new admins, really hard to maintain through upgrades, and almost impossible to repair for new admins if it breaks.

Hacks will not be supported with Forums Pro. Modifications can be submitted for inclusion into the core, but anyone that adds a hack into their forums risks incompatibly in the future.

hacks are necessary for many things, basically changing any existing functionality or adding new ones in pre-existing areas requires a hack of some sort.

Yes a points system should be a separate module, capable of having as many different subsystems as desired, and letting any other module interact with it.

Linux (Kernel: 2.4.21-27.0.2.ELsmp)/1.3.33 (Unix)/4.0.24-standard/4.3.11/9.0.5.0

mc__ wrote
hacks are necessary for many things, basically changing any existing functionality or adding new ones in pre-existing areas requires a hack of some sort.

Yes a points system should be a separate module, capable of having as many different subsystems as desired, and letting any other module interact with it.

The definition of a hack is to take the existing code and make changes to it. If the developers of Forums Pro hack at the code, it goes into the core. If joe blow user hacks at the code and changes it, it's not supported it and may very well keep him from upgrading in the future. Smile

yes true. Just as long as we don't head down the road of phpBB we'll be allright.

"oh, here is a almost entirely feature-less bulletin board, take it, install it, love it, then spend 3 months adding other peoples code to it 'till it finally becomes functional on a vbulletin or ipb level"... so entirely poitnless.

I think that we've done a pretty good job of adding other people's code to our main goal, and everyone must always realise, as is the nature of open source, that if you do make any alterations it's best to submit them to the makers so the whole commuity reaps the rewards of your hard work.

And about a points system, i think that there should be a pouitns abstraction layer for modules to interact with, and this abstraction layer lets the site admins redirect the modules to use different concurrent points systems, for example you may want one uber-point system for donators, and a different one for forum posts, and another one for karma or something, etc.

I guess that this means that you'd have to get the module to create new db tables and delete them as new systems are introduced or taken away. But it is quite important to do it this way i believe. Then we have a includes/points.inc file that provides helper functions such as:

add_points_user($amount,$uid=false); add_points_group($amount,$gid=false); minus_points_user($amount,$uid=false); minus_points_group($amount,$gid=false); get_points_group($gid=false); get_points_user($uid=false); //$uid and $gid are arrays of user_id's and group_id's //to apply the query/action upon. //and inide of /includes/points.inc we get the //$module_name so we can find what points table to use.

It can have a lookup table of mid's (or just module_names) and the table name for their points system.

That way functions can share common or use separate points systems at the discretion of the site admins, so that karma could be on it's own, or it could directly affected by other modules, etc.

does that sound worth it?

Linux (Kernel: 2.4.21-27.0.2.ELsmp)/1.3.33 (Unix)/4.0.24-standard/4.3.11/9.0.5.0

sounds pretty sweet to me, ive tried several times to incorperate cash mod from phpbb as a hack into cpgbb and have got it working in a broken sense. this really does need to be it own module capable of interacting with other modules. but wont the other modules still need some sort of modification still in order to use the points thus still being a hack.

i believe this is were the dragon packs datarion was refering to but that is basically him modifing the files for you and you uploading them to the module directory.

personally i would be happy with just having a list of global functions that i could use in any module that i wanted. and then instead of modifing code it would work by adding files to your exsisting module directory in order to make this work instead of having to make allot of edits in exsisting code.

so i like MC_ id of doing this so far. i think it really needs to be thought through all the way.

unix/yes/yes/version 4/8.3

Yeah well to implement this in exisiting modules alterations will need to be made, but you won't have to write the db table interaction functions yourself.

There'll be an /includes/points.inc file that'll have a lot of common code in it. Basically any functoin that a module is likely to use to implement a cash system that can be reliably generalised should be include in thise points.inc file.

so think about what we'd need in that file. I already submitted a few ideas, but if any one has any else then be sure to post them up.

lets see you had

add points
add group
minus points
minus group
get points
get group

prob need
add event
minus event

some sort of donate functions
also a give function

table should be able to be any table name you wants
this way it is compatable with other mods. user_points type of thing. similar to how cash mod does it.

cant think of anything else off the top of my head. im sure more would come to me if i started writing the code.

unix/yes/yes/version 4/8.3

Would it make sense to give the ok-ish user the chance to make it so that any module which uses SQL can be edited for this use?

FreeBSD/1.3.33 (Unix)/4.1.13-log/4.4.0+5.0.4(Using 4.4.0)/9.0.5.0 for teenout.com

let's face it the only thing really lagging behind with dragonfly are the forums. the gallery is still good but that also needs more features to compete with other galleries. the forums need a lot of work. i hope that the forums are worked on soon so we can all see it improving this year. raven looks to be the dedicated forum leader so lets give him whatever kind of support he needs to progress things and impliment some kick ass features. that includes forum hacks or easy support for forum hacks like simply uncommenting lines.

Linux/1.3.33/4.4/4.3.11