Miscellaneous ⇒ User & Newbie Resources :: Archives ⇒ Runnning a server :: Archived ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum IndexUser & Newbie Resources

Archived ⇒ Runnning a server

I was wondering if i could run a server off my 1.1 ghz Destop PC... it is running on 265 mb of ram, and XP.. I have a ADSL connect which has a 256k upload speeed...

Now i also have a router from Netgear will i have to configure anything for me to run the server off my PC?
And last what software should i use... Apacher, MSQL, ..... Ahh..yes would it be best if install Linux, or Windows 2000 instead of using XP?

Thank You for all your help!

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
Dragonfly CMS 9.0.6.1

It a "depends" kind of answer. It depends on what type of website and how much traffic you are expecting. I assume that you are going to run DragonFly so I would suggest A Linux brand of OS, the latest Apache PHP and MySQL. You can run Apache, PHP and MySQL on a windows box to make installaion easier at it seems you're very new to running a server. But IMHO it will run better on a Linux OS.

Search is your friend

Fedora Core 1, Apache 1.3.33, Mysql 4.1.14, PHP 5.0.5 w/ APC cache, Dragonfly 9.0.6.1

I will have a moderate ammount of traffic... but i would prefer to run on a windows machine.. the thing that im worried about is my router! SInce i tried Apache once... and my firewall *software* was creating problems.. i got rid of it.. but stilll the same results. So i was wondering if my router would cause any confliction issues? But for sure i can DL Apache, and MYSQL ? And they SHOULD work?

Thank YOu In Advance

Dragonfly CMS 9.0.6.1