Dragonfly CMS v9 ⇒ Switch from X to Dragonfly v9 :: Archives ⇒ Dragonfly + vBulletin Integration? :: Archived (page 2) ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum IndexSwitch from X to Dragonfly v9

Archived ⇒ Dragonfly + vBulletin Integration?

Tail wrote
I have set a concrete theme: Integration of the Dragonfly and vBulletin.
Will suffice to discuss correctly it or not! Full integration and use vBulletin by default is not necessary to Me, to me is necessary Fashions which synchronizes users vBulletin and the Dragonfly, and also will make the general registration between these giants. I consider эо correct.

whats so great about vbulletin that we cant add to cpgbb? you'd still have to port all the vbulletin hacks then as well...

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
Linux/1.3.33 (Unix)/4.0.22-standard/4.3.9/DF 9.x

mc__ wrote
yes very true indeed Mr potato heads, but i do see the reasoning behind descriminating against paid software, while NOT going against free software.

Just go read almost anything to do with microsoft over at slashdot and you'll get my drift...

and all that GNU propoganda over at gnu.org, it's all good!

nope. i don't like most paid software. i personally prefer open source and think that everything should go open source. that way there will be someone to take on the task of taking the crap that someone built and actually making it good. i bet alot of people could take XP and make a decent operating system that was fast, more reliable, and leaves a small foot print. the fact that i have 3GB right off of an install is retarded to me.

but i do not like the fact that someone thinks that it's ok to steal from a family. that's basically what it is. i dispise it. someone makes something that works and is a good piece of software and you steal it with no intention of purchaing it you are an ass. thru and thru. i don't care about the big corporations it's the people working for the Co. if the Co. starts losing money who are the first to go? management? CEOs? {expletive removed} no, it's the workers.

you get a {expletive removed} product and you get people working on a product at half the price that don't care about the product or the company itself. then the product itself becomes tainted and is not what it used to be. and the people that are working there now aren't in a stable job, they are still at risk of being punished because someone is using thier software without the intent of purchasing the software. and i think it's immoral and just not cool. for lack of good english, not...cool

back on topic...

i'm just that sweet

Windows XP | P4HT 3.4| 1.5GB RAM | 256 Vid Card PCIX | Apache2.0.52 | MySQL 1.4.8 | PHP 4.3.10 | 9.03

vBulletin is made by a smaller company, not a big one, and I think they made something real good. But some asked about advantages over current cpg-BB, and it is a valid question:

• WYSYWYG working with BBcode (more secure than allowing HTML)
  • Better permission system (details soon)
  • Good hooks system, that can enhance the forum
  • Automatic promotions between usergroups
  • Inline editing, etc.
  • Good subforum system (including different templates, subcategories, etc)
  • Moderation queue
  • etc

Can name several major features, and they were good enough reason to go for a weaker CMS and use vBulletin on my main site. To be honest the single most important feature to me is the "see others threads" permission. Why it is good?

If you run a forum for roleplaying communities, you can make a forum fully readable (and writeable) to Game Masters, while users can only see their own threads. This way any GM can answer their questions, post their XPs, see progress easily, read their "secret" backgroun, while they can't see the secrets of each other. But can be useful on other kinds of forums as well.

On a politics related forum, I let new users post to moderation queue (their posts must be approved by mods) and after some reputation earned, vBulletin promotes these users to a new usergroup, and from this point they can post without moderators approval. Several more permission system related stuff can be important.

The hooks, and forum specific templates are useful if you want people to post certain info when they open a new thread.

But we can also speak about support for threaded and hybrid modes.

I think other forums can have similar amount of unique features, this is why it would be good to allow a system for integratuon of different forums. And while vBulletin is comercial software, if you have a registered copy you can make plugins for it, and post them on vbulletin.org or on your web site, there are several free and some comercial hacks/plugins for vbulletin.

Gentoo Linux and Windows 2003 server, CPGNuke 9.0.1.x

MrPotatoes: The integration can be done in a way that respects copyright for both software, if you use vBulletin 3.5 it is even easier. I have a valid licence for vBulletin, and use it now. Maybe I will ask for advice about possible integration on their forums Smile

So who is gonna pay for the copies of vB for those who can code to work with?

NEMINI.org, NEMINI.us, NEMINI.info, NYMINI.org

1.3.34 (Unix)/4.1.18-standard/4.4.2 /9.1.0.8 CVS

Probably the easiest way is to do it in another way: there is a coder community at vBulletin.org and some of the people are actually from the vBulletin dev team, if we ask them to help with a possible integration into a CMS, I think they would help. But we would need at least one place where they can talk with dragonfly developers. If it is going this way. But if requests are here for multiple forums, and there can be an API made for communication between 3rd party forum software and dragonfly, then it would be better to use that Smile

Imho integration can be done in both ways.

problem becomes its no longer an integration, it becomes bridged software. It's not so easy to just pull out the BB from DF and plug in another, you've got administration, groups, PM's etc. to figure out as well.

Yes, it is a complex problem, mostly because if you want to use vBulletin with dragonflyCMS, you would like to use the features like promotion, etc. as well. This is why an API would be good. But here the heritage from phpBB and phpnuke can be a problem.

If I know well, vBulletin uses data managers to handle all kinds of data, so most of the time it calls its api and no direct SQL calls. This way if the database structure is called, you can change the data managers, and not have to change the code everywhere. If such datamanagers can support hooks, and certain customization that is good. Sadly you can't change much about table structure now.

Imho when 10.x is developed for dragonfly, it will be time for optimizations for php5, and most of the non OO code will have to be replaced. In a such scenario, using data managers, and making them configureable is a good option. If users, usergroups (and forums) use a configureable data manager with hooks, that can help with integration. But it isn't something short term.

And this, and the plugin system for vBulletin would allow full intergration. But I don't know when we will move to fully OO stuff.

10.x will be a totally different setup
DJMaze wrote
MOO CMS is an versatile, OO (Object Oriented), easy to use dynamic web content management system written in PHP 5. MOO is the ideal new tool for developing small to large dynamic community websites, intra company portals, corporate portals, weblogs, wiki, bulletin board and much more.

TheElf wrote
Yes, it is a complex problem, mostly because if you want to use vBulletin with dragonflyCMS, you would like to use the features like promotion, etc. as well. This is why an API would be good. But here the heritage from phpBB and phpnuke can be a problem.

If I know well, vBulletin uses data managers to handle all kinds of data, so most of the time it calls its api and no direct SQL calls. This way if the database structure is called, you can change the data managers, and not have to change the code everywhere. If such datamanagers can support hooks, and certain customization that is good. Sadly you can't change much about table structure now.

Imho when 10.x is developed for dragonfly, it will be time for optimizations for php5, and most of the non OO code will have to be replaced. In a such scenario, using data managers, and making them configureable is a good option. If users, usergroups (and forums) use a configureable data manager with hooks, that can help with integration. But it isn't something short term.

And this, and the plugin system for vBulletin would allow full intergration. But I don't know when we will move to fully OO stuff.

Seems like your saying its a lot of work for just vB ... however in another thread you say:

TheElf wrote
NEMINI: It isn't more work to create a system that allows integration of many different BBs, than to maintain your own BB software, and upgrade it, add new features, fix problems, etc.

So which is it? Easy? or a lot of work?

Nemini: The 2nd quote compares managing a BB software to making an API for communication. Managing the BB software on long run can be a monumental task, if you want to make it competitive. Making a simple API is far less.

But if you want more features, you want the use of hook systems, etc. and want a new datamanager design, and get the maximum out of the changes, then you can do a major change with significant advantages. It isn't simple to design a such change, and it goes far beyound using a forum with dragonfly. Both in advantages, and in work. Smile

they dont have to maintain and upgrade really since they have fixed (almost all of) the vulnerabilites

And what happens when something won't work with a new php release? What happens, when new problems found? What happens, when it gets even more outdated? Smile

from what ive seen, the devs here prolly keep more updated than the phpbb people. its not hard to keep track of standalone phpbb changes is it?

TheElf wrote
And what happens when something won't work with a new php release?

Rarely happens, php is usually backwards compatible, cpgbb works fine with php5
TheElf wrote
What happens, when new problems found?
We will fix them.
TheElf wrote
What happens, when it gets even more outdated? Smile

We are gathering a team to "keep up with the Jones'"

AKA Akamu / Read these and your life will be successful | Find a Repair
--
Mods and Professional Support via YIM

win32 / Apache 1.3.33 / MySQL 4.1.16/PHP 4.4/CPG-CVS ( browsers: Mozilla 1.7.x / IE6 / Opera 8.0)