Support ⇒ Requests ⇒ Should we remove the contact buttons? ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum IndexRequests

Should we remove the contact buttons?

Go to page Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Poll: Remove contact buttons and replace with link to profile?
Yes, remove the buttons and replace it with a link. 10
No, keep the buttons at the botom of each post. 8
Total Votes 18

Well i dunno about anyone else but the only buttons i ever hit are PM or WWW, i see no point having the others there.

Maybe a pop-up profile would be cool?..... click the avatar and that users profile info comes up in a small 200 x 200 box or something, yer know something like the box u get for PM notification, but obviously bigger.

I'd like to hear from all the people that voted, everyone has a reason why they voted for one reason, i'm curious.......

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
XP / 2.0 / 5.1 / 5.2 / none

mini profile is like little popup with their info, is that you talk about t3los?

Apache/1.3.34 (Unix)/4.0.25-standard/4.4.1/CVS

Was an idea, whats mini profile then?

t31os wrote
Was an idea, whats mini profile then?

www.phpbb.com/phpBB/vi...p?t=110870 this might help you.

Never used phpbb stand-alone, but thats exactly what i had in mind, seems like a much more simple and tidy solution since the link is readily available, as is the information once you click that link.

Well some people use all of them which is unfortunate. As more voip and im programs become popular the bar is going to get ridiculously large. An easy way to avoid that issue in the future is to take care of it now with a drop down or only by viewing someone's profile. OR another thing to consider is allowing the admin to specify exactly which contact buttons can be shown under someone's post or in their profile. The profile layout needs a bit of revamping anyway. In my case I'd really like to see the Signature get it's own opentable()signature:closetable() in the profile because most of my sites allow large signature graphics. In the profile anything large than 400px wide or something will make the page sidescroll.

Linux/1.3.33/4.4/4.3.11

I think mini profile is a great idea, It save a lot more time in clicking to see the profile then having to click back to where you were.

Lead Theme Designer - WebSiteGuru Designs

Linux 2.6.9 / Apache 2.2.6 / MySQL 5.0.27 / PHP 5 / DF Version 9.2.1

Ok, so which 7 seven voted no and why?. maybe the wording is misleading since we're not looking at removing them now, rather changing them for a slimmer alternative, that is where we are now is'nt it?.. Very Happy

Drop down, click the avatar or username and it will say "Contact this user, Profile, Gallery"

That would be sweet

Linux/1.3.34/4.0.25/5.0.4/9.0.6.1

Maybe I'm missing the whole point here, but I don't see why there even needs to be a "should we do this.." question.

Make it an option to show/not show in the admin and be done with it.

Anything beyond that such as using the avatar as a link, dropdown menus, where the buttons go, what they look like, if they're even present, that's all handled by the THEME

Like most ideas people are way over complicating things and not thinking of the best way to manage the majority of people.

Some people like the buttons, some dont. Simple On or Off.
Changing the way it displays should be completely upto a themer, if the code is altered to make it easier for a themer to make a dropdown, or whatever else fine but dont change the way everything else works by default.

I for one think a dropdown is more of a problem than a solution.
Besides, unless you use javascript to automagicly activate the dropdown menu when you select something then you have to click the dropdown, pick your choice, then click 'go', this doesn't exactly solve the "one click contact" problem, and if you use javascript then you have to assume everyone always uses javascript, which this whole cms relies on too much IMO, but that's another thread...

Just my rambling 2 cents.

Linux 2.6.9 / 1.3.34 / 4.1.14 / 4.4.1 / CVS

Ahh and the post resurfaces. Smile This would be something that mwa could achieve without the need for core edits correct? Just an update to the fp module could now take care of this? I dont think during the time of the original post that mwa was available or certainly not in a position to contribute to the resolution. Now I think they are.

Linux/1.3.33/4.4/4.3.11

I think mini profile should replaced contact button. if users disable JS then drop down doesn't work.

Mini profile does look nice.

I agree with Kuragari. On/Off done...

Configurability is always a great path to follow. You can't please everyone, but by allowing features to be switched on or off strives to achieve that goal.

- |\\/|ystic

Ubuntu 14.04.1/Apache 2/5.5.38/5.5.9/9.4.0.0

xfsunoles wrote
I think mini profile should replaced contact button. if users disable JS then drop down doesn't work.

Configurations Java Menu, Mini profile as options in the user_cp. that way they could decide themselves.

Linux/1.3.34/4.0.25/5.0.4/9.0.6.1

Some things users shouldn't have the option to configure and this might be one of them simply because of insigificance to them. Some users don't even bother to change their default avatar and you want to throw forum configuration options at them.

Linux/1.3.33/4.4/4.3.11