Dragonfly CMS v9 ⇒ Modules & Blocks :: Archives ⇒ wanted : news/forums module :: Archived ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum IndexModules & Blocks

Archived ⇒ wanted : news/forums module

I am in need of a module that will allow me to post topics from the forums into the main news area. As for the topic icon it would be great if it could be the persons avatar.

Can anyone help with this? It would really make a site have the community run feel to it.

Please advise asap

do a search for failure on www.google.com

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
freebsd/apache_1.3.31/mysql5.0.67/php5.2.8/upgraded from 9.0.6.0 to 9.0.6.1 to 921/ GD Version bundled (2.0.34 compatible)

You could modify the 5 last topics block so that it only picks topics from a certain News forum and displays the users avatar like you need, I dont think that would be very difficult.

Linux / 1.3.36 / 4.1.19 / 4.4.2 / CVS

Do you know where I can get that file?

I know zero about php but I will try, i think it would make a "true community" run site. As it is , it is a HUGE pain do the news, and the topics images is just a bad design, I am even considering chaging software all together and try some "real portal" software.

freebsd/apache_1.3.31/mysql5.0.67/php5.2.8/upgraded from 9.0.6.0 to 9.0.6.1 to 921/ GD Version bundled (2.0.34 compatible)

Nuke has a system called FNA Forum News Advanced, I actually have that on a Nuke site, its quite a big module though and would take some amount of porting but if anyone wants to have a look at it I'll pack it up for them.

Have a look at my new chat home: www.worldwidechatters.com
Looking for hosting www.caltonhosting.com

that would be great Bluefin221, thanks!

Here is the file as I said it would take a lot of modding or porting so good luck with it. It really is a great feature though.

www.worldwidechatters....cev3.0.zip

Have a look at my new chat home: www.worldwidechatters.com
Looking for hosting www.caltonhosting.com

I am even considering chaging software all together and try some "real portal" software.

I think that's a good idea Steve you should try some "real portal" software. You have been asking for his feature for months and have got no acion on it. A pure lack off respect if you ask me Rolling Eyes

What CMS are you thinking of trying?

http://www.canadianangling.net

Linux/1.3.34 (Unix)/4.1.13-standard/4.3.11/9.0.6.1

Canadian wrote
A pure lack off respect if you ask me Rolling Eyes

Lack of respect are you kidding?......

This is open source software, its free and worked on for free, you're lucky Dragonfly offers as much as it does.

Just because ' some asks ' doesnt mean someone has to just go and make it for you.

If you NEED a module or a hack for your install, do 1 of 3 things......

1. Pay someone to do it for you.
2. Wait patiently until someone who can code takes interest and decides to make it.
3. LEARN TO CODE YOURSELF!....

If you're going to insult the team here, then do so elsewhere.

XP / 2.0 / 5.1 / 5.2 / none

On topic though...

If you want to display news on the main page, pulled from a particular forum, you could make a simple module that pulls the forum posts with title etc very easily.

If you wanted to post news via the news module and have it add a post to the forums automaticly then the Pro News module myndworx have planned may do this since its based on Kuraguri's NewsPro module which does just that.

I'm another person who wanted this kind of feature, but i made a trade off and stripped down and re-coded a bit of the NewsPro module to work with ForumsPro, and although it has a few small bugs here and there, it does fucntion.

I was being facetious I'm sorry that you took it the wrong way. That is the rolling eyes smiley that I used right? Steve is a bit of a competitor of mine (we both run Canadian fishing sites) and it would make me happy to see him move on but I don't really expect that to happen.

http://www.canadianangling.net

Linux/1.3.34 (Unix)/4.1.13-standard/4.3.11/9.0.6.1

I just made a script very similar to this idea that I'm running as a cron job. Mine is a bit different since I have this one script that grabs RSS feeds and adds them to a table. Then, once an hour, via cron, these items are submitted to News. I do have them going into the cms_queue table so humans can review them before they are posted. But directly to cms_stories is just as easy.

Since the forums posts are already in the database, this is no more complicated. If anyone is interested I'll try to adapt this for forums, and post it. The only complication I can see is that (at least the way I have it now) I've added a news_posted field in the table I'm pulling from to be able to tell if that entry has already been posted to news before when the job runs. The bbposts table could be altered similarly but it may get blown away during a Dragonfly upgrade.

Diagon Alley - Top Design

Linux/1.3.37/4.1.21-standard/4.4.4/9.1.1

Canadian wrote
I was being facetious I'm sorry that you took it the wrong way. That is the rolling eyes smiley that I used right? Steve is a bit of a competitor of mine (we both run Canadian fishing sites) and it would make me happy to see him move on but I don't really expect that to happen.

Ok if i got the wrong end of the stick, my mistake, it just sounded like you were putting down DF. Protective of my little baby DF... Very Happy

Sorry if i offended you with my post.

Just out of interest t31os, I could not see NewsPro available for download over at myndworx?

Linux / 1.3.36 / 4.1.19 / 4.4.2 / CVS

Thanks for the file guys. I was looking at the news pro as well, but it seems that it is not on the myndworx site anymore?

I have to appologize for canadian, she acts like a little girl sometimes following me around and bugging me, sorry she brought it here guys.

The project has not been started yet, and the original News Pro was found at www.dfmods.com, but remember its not fully working, so expect bugs if you do want to use it.