Dragonfly CMS v9 ⇒ Modules & Blocks :: Archives ⇒ wanted : news/forums module :: Archived (page 2) ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum IndexModules & Blocks

Archived ⇒ wanted : news/forums module

http://www.canadianangling.net

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
Linux/1.3.34 (Unix)/4.1.13-standard/4.3.11/9.0.6.1

Last edited by Canadian on Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:27 pm; edited 4 times in total

if anyone wants to make some coin modding/porting the Forum News Advanced or make the module the way I like simply pm me or email me direct at steve @ manitobaanglers.com , pays $50-100 bucks

do a search for failure on www.google.com

freebsd/apache_1.3.31/mysql5.0.67/php5.2.8/upgraded from 9.0.6.0 to 9.0.6.1 to 921/ GD Version bundled (2.0.34 compatible)

Steve, Go to www.dfbounty.org/ - there is already $83 posted for Pro-News - another bounty would certainly get some movement!

I think what you are talking about, is what im after too. On our old site, while posting a forum topic, we had a drop down box, that we could choose a news category from, for it to also appear on our main page.

As previously stated, it was simply pulling forum topics, to the main news page. Therefore, all "comments" were actually being made in the correct forum topic, for all to see/respond too.

At the moment, the system of completely separate news/comments, not linked to the forums in anyway is driving me nuts. Whats the go to get around this, head over to DFBounty and wait for someone to finish the NewsPro module?

2.6.18-164.11.1.el5xen/2.2.13/5.0.89-community-log/5.2.11/9.3.3.0

Kinsman,

Absolutely - there are a lot of people waiting for News Pro - the more bounty the more chance it'll get done...

hmm, maybe not - it was called Pro News, but things have changed - you should check there.

Kuragari has forwarded the project to the myndworx site, and is called NewsPro - you can check on progress there.

Even in its current state, it is a very handy module.

well, it has been a year, any news on this? posting from the forums is still a big pain Sad

freebsd/apache_1.3.31/mysql5.0.67/php5.2.8/upgraded from 9.0.6.0 to 9.0.6.1 to 921/ GD Version bundled (2.0.34 compatible)

hmm, I see numerous mentions of Pro News, and layingback has resurrected it, but I'm not sure it will be of any help - you might enquire at layingback.net

Phoenix wrote
hmm, I see numerous mentions of Pro News, and layingback has resurrected it, but I'm not sure it will be of any help - you might enquire at layingback.net

He has a working version for forums, its not been ported for forumspro as yet, I would say it needs some work on the formatting side however it does the job its supposed to do.

Have a look at my new chat home: www.worldwidechatters.com
Looking for hosting www.caltonhosting.com

yeah, but isn't that just news -> forums, not forums -> news which I think is what wpgsteve wants?

Phoenix wrote
yeah, but isn't that just news -> forums, not forums -> news which I think is what wpgsteve wants?

Well if he installs the Pro News, and sets it as home any articles submitted can be discussed on the forums, if you submit and approve an article, then click discuss the article shows on both the homepage and also forums, anyone wishing to discuss the article is taken to the forum topic.

I don't think its as good as News but as I said it does the job, I use it on a site with no problems. I would personally love to see the News system able to do this with any discussion submitting the article directly to the forums, the same with blogs, surveys, pictures and anything else where discussion can take place, it would save hours of moderating different areas.

Have a look at my new chat home: www.worldwidechatters.com
Looking for hosting www.caltonhosting.com

As far i know the forums topic must exists already then i think as admin you just add the topic URL and a link will come up with the news.

If this is the case I'm still wondering why no one have never tough about using bbcode to manually create the link.

.:: I met php the 03 December 2003 :: Unforgettable day! ::.

CloudLinux / Apache 2.4 LSAPI / MySQLi 5.7 / PHP 7.3 / head

What would be nice is to have a area in the forums called "front page news" and if a member posts some news in the forum, and you move it to the "front page news " area of the forum, the main news will post it and link to the original post.

Right now this is what I have to do:

1.A member posts something news worthy in the forum. I have to click on edit and copy the post.
2. go to the main admin panel and enter the news area and add a story.
3. Paste the story, thank the person in the forum for posting it (because now it looks I originally posted it)
4. Click on discuss this
5. go phpmyadmin and edit the news in sql to point to the original post id
6. delete the discuss this thread that was created.

all this just to post a thread to the main news Sad

some thing like ForumNews Advance for nuke would be great.

Sarah can I get a copy of what you are using as well?

wpgsteve wrote
if anyone wants to make some coin modding/porting the Forum News Advanced or make the module the way I like simply pm me or email me direct at steve @ manitobaanglers.com , pays $50-100 bucks

Is the offer still on the table? 😉

I don't know if I can build exactly what you're looking for, but I might be able to come close...

It would be on Pro_News of course. (2.0 is just being released). Could work with both Forum CPG-BB or ForumsPro.

I'm envisaging the following possibility (I can't really add it inside the forum as I'll be chasing broken fora updates every release):

- You read the forum article you like.
- You copy the forum number (from the url).
- Admin > Pro_News > Article from Forum (a new function).
- Give it the saved forum post number, and probably select the Category you want it to appear in.

I think it should be able to take it from there, copy the Subject, Text, Author, link to Forum (equiv of DiscussThis), etc., from the forum entry into the new Pro_News article.

Messy part might be to break the forum post into Intro and Article text but something can probably be kludged (don't want to split in middle of a link e.g.).

If all that works you may be able to get someone to build a javascript script to do the copy post number and switch to Pro_News > Article from Forum, but even without it should remove steps 3 thru 6 and the messy half of 1.

wpgsteve wrote
Right now this is what I have to do:

1.A member posts something news worthy in the forum. I have to click on edit and copy the post.
2. go to the main admin panel and enter the news area and add a story.
3. Paste the story, thank the person in the forum for posting it (because now it looks I originally posted it)
4. Click on discuss this
5. go phpmyadmin and edit the news in sql to point to the original post id
6. delete the discuss this thread that was created.

Haven't mapped out all the details yet, so there might still be a lurking gotcha...

Real question though is do you want, and can you, migrate from your current News - Discuss This - Forums to Pro_News - Forums gracefully? 'Cos if not it's all kinda mute.

Pro_News CM™ - Content Management for Dragonfly CMS™

Linux / 1.3.39 - 2.4.9 / 5.5.42 - 5.6.16 / 5.4.37 - 5.5.11 / 9.4