Miscellaneous ⇒ User & Newbie Resources :: Archives ⇒ Coat Hangers, Duct Tape and auto-posting RSS feeds as News :: Archived ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum IndexUser & Newbie Resources

Archived ⇒ Coat Hangers, Duct Tape and auto-posting RSS feeds as News

In carp.php I see line 108 is
'maxititle'=>80,

Changing that help?

Diagon Alley - Top Design

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
Linux/1.3.37/4.1.21-standard/4.4.4/9.1.1

Sorry, it's not what I meant. CaRP is submitting the stories correctly into the queue. If I check the story in my submissions, the title is appearing correctly. The problem is, that the title is truncated after approval:
From cms_queue into cms_stories.

Linux/Apache/MySQL 5.0.45/PHP 5.2.2/DF 9.2.1

Oh I see. Is it truncating it to only 50? It might be this on modules/News/admin/submission.inc line 87:

echo "<br /><br /><b>"._TITLE."</b><br /><input type=\"text\" name=\"subject\" size=\"50\" value=\"$subject\" /><br /><br />";

Changing that size help?

I scheduled the stories. Embarassed So i just needed to expand the title field in cms_autonews to varchar(255) as well... Floor laughing

(to upgrade to DF 9.1.2.1: the related part in /install/sql/tables/news.php is in line 22)

Smile

Who knew autonews was lurking in there.

spacebar wrote
sarah wrote
You mean you're making your own script to do this without the use of a third-party one like CaRP? Sweet, dude.

Sort of. I have it working with email. If you send me an email with certain words in the subject it will automatically insert into my news queue.

Also I have certain email lists that I send everything into the queue for just by watching for the from address.

Last night I implemented your version as well, but I have that info going directly into the stories table. A few variable typos as mentioned above, but other than that it works great.

the email idea sounds interesting, any chance of a look?

Please enter your server specs in your user profile! 😢

I am planning to buy this stuff but only if I am convinced that it works just as I want it to. So for the same reason can I see this stuff in action on someones's site?

Linux/2.0.54 (Unix)/5.0.51/5.2.6/DragonflyCMS 9.2.1

Please help Folks. There have been lots of people on this thread saying that they are using it. Anyone willing to show an example. Please!!!

I believe if you click on albiurs www link under his posts, he is running it.

Linux | Apache[1.3.37] (Unix) | MySQL[4.1.21] | PHP[4.4.5] | DF[9.1.2.1]

He is and I did check that out, but I have lots of doubts and nobody on this thread seems to be willing to help me out with that!

Well, hopefully someone who is STILL using this method will chime in with their opinions. I can only assume that if Sarah is still using such a method, then it must work pretty well.

Though what caught my eye earlier in the thread was when spacebar might have implied he was working on something similar to this solution but without a third party plugin. Now that would be something neat.

But, just as a word of advice, if you think you might have a hard time getting it to work, or you are not sold on the idea and its uses, then I wouldn't go out of your way to buy it. However, if you feel that this is important to the site you are building, and your pocketbook allows, then perhaps you may want to consider delving into.

Linux | Apache[1.3.37] (Unix) | MySQL[4.1.21] | PHP[4.4.5] | DF[9.1.2.1]

I know stuff but am not sure if I can pull it off. Will have to see if I can do it or not. Thanks for the advice anyway!

CatchImran wrote
Please help Folks. There have been lots of people on this thread saying that they are using it. Anyone willing to show an example. Please!!!

Sorry, I was off for some time. Yes, it works fine on my site and I can confirm, it works well! News of RSS feeds every day! Cool

I have a few doubts. Can you help me with that? I am a noob when it comes to handling PHP so I need help desperately. One of my first doubts is how does one select the category into which the News items are posted?

Also I have serious doubts that I might just run into unchartered territory while trying to put this stuff on my website thanks to my low PHP knowledge. So I might need some assistance. Hoping for a reply soon.

Thanks and Cheers.

Well, hopefully someone who is STILL using this method will chime in with their opinions.

Yep, keeps on going.