Dragonfly CMS v9 ⇒ Gamers Modules & Blocks :: Archives ⇒ vanguard update notes block :: Archived ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum Index Modules & Blocks Gamers Modules & Blocks ⇒ Archives

Archived ⇒ vanguard update notes block

i am looking for an experianced coder to make a full update notes block for vanguard : saga of heroes.you can contact me at black_locust @ msn.comBlack_Locust@msn.com

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
5.1.1, 9.2.1

Ghastly wrote
i am looking for an experianced coder to make a full update notes block for vanguard : saga of heroes.you can contact me at black_locust @ msn.comBlack_Locust@msn.com

I think that this block would probably work after the patcher URL was changed to the Vanguard one. I'm told that much of the back-end stuff is the same for all the SoE games. I don't have Vanguard, so can't really help with the specifics.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Ubuntu 12.04, Atom D525/Apache 2.2.22/MySQL 5.5.38/PHP 5.3.10/Dragonfly 9.4.0.0 CVS

i was thinking the same thing a few days back, ill try to get it to work for vanguard since it is webscapeing the same server. in theory it seems like it should work, ill post when i figure it out.

5.1.1, 9.2.1

ok here is the outcome, i got the block to read from the vanguard server update notes but .... and here is the problem
I need this block turned into a module which i cant figure out, i am not very good at the coding end of things.

So in closing i am looking for someone to make a module out of the block i have or even out of the downloadable eq2 update notes block and i can change it since i was able to stumble around that much Embarassed

or another options is for someone very nice to make a blank module and type "insert block here" where i should insert the block code.

also this is the update address for vanguard : patch.vanguardsoh.net:..._live.html
That is off the lanchpad update page which seems like it should be correct since it looks close to the eq2 one that was in the file.

5.1.1, 9.2.1

Ghastly wrote
ok here is the outcome, i got the block to read from the vanguard server update notes but .... and here is the problem
I need this block turned into a module which i cant figure out, i am not very good at the coding end of things.

Well, I'm not sure what you mean by turn it into a module? That's actually pretty easy really, just means a few changes to the output, takes maybe 10 minutes (I'd have to remember what those changes were, but it's not hard). I can do that, but I'm not sure what end result you're looking for.

Can you describe what you're envisioning, in terms of how it'd work/look like? If it's relatively simple, I can throw it together in a few spare moments.

Ubuntu 12.04, Atom D525/Apache 2.2.22/MySQL 5.5.38/PHP 5.3.10/Dragonfly 9.4.0.0 CVS

i want these update note for vanguard to be its own page, not be inserted into anotherpage. Due to the large amount of info if you try to add this to another page as just a block it overwhelms the entire page.

i dont have the block even working due to my lack in php coding, but i am hoping to find someone nice enough to make this a module (make its on its own page) and i am sure in the future this request will come more often after the game gets up off the ground.

5.1.1, 9.2.1

The parser for the update notes block is an absolute PITA to maintain. SoE doesn't follow standards of any kind with the output from their servers. It's not valid HTML, and it's never formatted consistently. It's a constant fight.

I did get the block working with Vanguard this evening.

Last edited by darkgrue on Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:53 pm; edited 2 times in total

darkgrue wrote
The parser for the update notes block is an absolute PITA to maintain. SoE doesn't follow standards of any kind with the output from their servers. It's not valid HTML, and it's never formatted consistently. It's a constant fight.

I did get the block working with Vanguard this evening. Try this.

I can get it to work as a module pretty easily, I think. Need to give it a little thought to do it right tho'.

awsome, i owe you one. Ill install this and see what i can do trying to "trans-plant" it into a copy of another module.

wish me luck hehe.

5.1.1, 9.2.1

the block works great, i tryied to figure out how to make it a module with no luck. if you can make the block into a module so it is its own page that would be awsome.

5.1.1, 9.2.1

Ghastly wrote
the block works great, i tryied to figure out how to make it a module with no luck. if you can make the block into a module so it is its own page that would be awsome.

Still working on why the regexp doesn't work as expected against the Vanguard patch notes, but that only means I had to use an ugly hack to parse the data, not that it doesn't work.

Now, be mindful - SoE has no [visible] Quality Assurance (QA) program, especially in Web Services. There is an ongoing battle between SoE's non-customer-service, upset customers, and applications developers like myself regarding the lack of functionality for the paid and free Web services. Maintaining the parser for the EQ2 updates notes block is a constant fight because the garbage that comes off that back-end server is just that - garbage. It's not standards-compliant, and isn't even self-consistent. Just because the parser works now doesn't mean that the next update will have patch notes that will parse correctly. A robust parser's just not possible for free-form data like this, I have to make substantial assumptions about the structure.

I don't play Vanguard (or any of the other SoE games), so I'm not really excited about the idea of having to maintian that parser. You might want to get smart on PHP... Wink

Last edited by darkgrue on Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

today i plan on picking up some php books to learn it better, i really appricate the work you have done.thanks so much

5.1.1, 9.2.1

You're welcome. Big grin

I actually think the Update Notes block was my first PHP project (or close to it). I hadn't worked with PHP or Dragonfly (CPG-Nuke at the time) prior to it. It was an interesting little starter project.

I did some work on your script since i would have a redeclare error happen alot. This error was based on the cacheing effect. Now it seems to work great each time. I only did the work on the vanguard block / module so if anyone wants the eq2 one done i would gladly do the same work for that one too.

Let me know what you think, its my first working.

5.1.1, 9.2.1

Ghastly wrote
I did some work on your script since i would have a redeclare error happen alot. This error was based on the cacheing effect. Now it seems to work great each time. I only did the work on the vanguard block / module so if anyone wants the eq2 one done i would gladly do the same work for that one too.

Let me know what you think, its my first working.

Uh, well, you "fixed" this by disabling all the caching altogether, that wasn't the correct approach to take. Sad Here's why: every time a user views a page with the block or module in it, a HTTP request is made to the SoE patch servers for each time the block or module appears on the page. The particular bug you encountered only occurs if both are visible at the same time, BTW - something I hadn't anticipated you'd do. So, that's 2 request per page, per visitor. Multiply that times the number of visitors, and it could quickly become a large number, consuming bandwidth and time on your server.

It also could raise your site into visibility to SoE's Web Team, in which case they may decide to block or remove access to this information. And given what I've seen of their attitude towards customers, as well as their competancy, I doubt they'll just block you. Likely, they'll block everyone.

That's why I implemented the cache, and set a pretty conservative cache length. I don't want to waste my resources requesting and reloading information that changes infrequently. And I want to preserve our free access to it.

You found a legitimate flaw in my implementation, however. I've reworked the code, hopefully should solve the problem. Be sure to pay attention to the documentation. The caching feature requires changes to the blocks table (See Note 3 in INSTALL.txt).

Last edited by darkgrue on Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

I am sorry if i upset you. i was trying my hand at the coding is all, trying to fix an error i got is all. Thanks for taking the time to fix this error, ill fix my site asap, you made a very good point in keeping under the radar of SOE.

5.1.1, 9.2.1