Dragonfly CMS v9 ⇒ Gamers Modules & Blocks :: Archives ⇒ vanguard update notes block :: Archived ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum Index Modules & Blocks Gamers Modules & Blocks ⇒ Archives

Archived ⇒ vanguard update notes block

Ghastly wrote
I am sorry if i upset you. i was trying my hand at the coding is all, trying to fix an error i got is all. Thanks for taking the time to fix this error, ill fix my site asap, you made a very good point in keeping under the radar of SOE.

Oh, please don't misunderstand me - I'm not upset! I was just pointing out why caching was important and what I felt was a wrong turn in coming to a solution. It was my intent to educate, not chastise.

I don't know that beating on SoE's servers will cause grief for the community, but I do know it'll put a lot of unecessary performance strain on your server, and you definitely don't want that!

I guess the lesson here is that fixing a problem by removing a feature is not necessarily the correct approach in most cases - at least, not without careful consideration. To use ye old car analogy: it'd be like fixing your squealing brakes by removing them. Sure, they don't make noise anymore, but you can't stop! That isn't to say not all features should live to see another day: some are truly ill-concieved, and need to be removed or re-engineered.

There's room for improvement on my side as well - I probably ought to add another note to the documentation when I finally put it up for full distribution as to why the caching feature is important to leave in place.

Don't let this discourage you from tinkering, though! Wink

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
Ubuntu 12.04, Atom D525/Apache 2.2.22/MySQL 5.5.38/PHP 5.3.10/Dragonfly 9.4.0.0 CVS

Cleaned up all the test versions of the file in the thread.

The SoE Update Notes package references in the thread can be found at www.theclenchedfist.co....html.html for download.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
Ubuntu 12.04, Atom D525/Apache 2.2.22/MySQL 5.5.38/PHP 5.3.10/Dragonfly 9.4.0.0 CVS