Miscellaneous ⇒ Chit-Chat :: Archives ⇒ Dragonfly is it still worth while? :: Archived ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum IndexChit-Chat

Archived ⇒ Dragonfly is it still worth while? This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

The core is ready to handle this but modules and 3rd party developers are not yet.

Just let us know what needs to be done ahead of time, then we can be ready with new versions just after the release.

For me it's no problem to break modules for new core functionality provided you tell us all up front what is happening and what we need to do. It's only an issue if the changes are unannounced and undocumented because that makes it very frustrating to sort out at the last minute.

If you say, in version x.x all modules will have to have such and such a thing which is like this and function yyy will be changed like so. and we expect version x.x to be released in 2 or 3 months then developers can get on and make the modules work and test them with CVS ahead of the release. That way we all are working together and the excitement of a new version will be big news with everyone looking forward to new faster modules as well as a new core.

This also encourages mod devs to use new methods and site admins to take the upgrades, neither of which seem to have happened much with 9.1.x (not like 8.2b -> 9.0.x anyway).

Please enter your server specs in your user profile! 😢

Oh yea DF Rocks

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
Multiple Setups

Had a look at the topic here

dragonflycms.org/Forum...20688.html

Seems like things are taking place at really fast pace here at DF nowadays!

Linux/2.0.54 (Unix)/5.0.51/5.2.6/DragonflyCMS 9.2.1

Ok one small question here. Does this mean that the question of module compatibilty will be out of the picture for good and all the 3rd party modules will be automatically be upgraded with every upgrade of the DF installation?

Linux/2.0.54 (Unix)/5.0.51/5.2.6/DragonflyCMS 9.2.1

Dizfunkshunal wrote
PartyMarty wrote
I am seriously considering moving onto Joomla.

Send us a post card! Big grin

www.greenday2k.net

bigern75 wrote
See, this attitude towards others in the community is what has sunken this place to an all time low.

btw, I wont troll around this hell hole anymore, again. I'll just troll around my own hole over at dfaddons. adious once again amigos!

Whistling

Please enter your server specs in your user profile! 😢

NanoCaiordo wrote
I do 100% agree with all DF staff comments.

As DragonflyCMS staff, my opinion shouldn't even be considered because I do of course 'work' here...

What a fascist boss you have, Nano. Eep.

Otherwise, I suppose I agree. I'm a noob, so what do I know. (you don't know yet.)

Melinda wrote

Chit Chat wrote

Ehm yeah, who will create the most useless topic?

Floor laughing

👏

BrokenCrust wrote
NanoCaiordo wrote
The core is ready to handle this but modules and 3rd party developers are not yet.

Just let us know what needs to be done ahead of time, then we can be ready with new versions just after the release.

For me it's no problem to break modules for new core functionality provided you tell us all up front what is happening and what we need to do. It's only an issue if the changes are unannounced and undocumented because that makes it very frustrating to sort out at the last minute.

That's a dangerous line of reasoning. Look back to what NanoCaiordo was saying 3rd party developers aren't ready for:

NanoCaiordo wrote
...upgrade core and ANY 3rd party modules with just one click!

To me, that sounds like, if done incorrectly (too soon, or with a series of hacks), it could break anything and everything. I'm glad that the core development team thinks it's a problem to break modules.

It is probably only ok to severely cripple existing popular modules when the function of that module is being included or replaced by the core function that's breaking it. Or, as you did point out, if the change is made in a controlled fashion... which is what happens now, from what I've seen.

Both of our opinions on that, however, are moot! We lack the subjectivity necessary to know, for instance, the database query that, if changed today in CVS by Developer X, will creatively destroy previously working modules that aren't installed (except intentionally) in a CVS build. That's not going to show up in documentation... a developer will experience or anticipate the 'creative breakage'. NanoCaiordo has effectively shown us that they might be anticipating such a screw-up, and so, are moving purposefully in their work.

They are avoiding the dangerous reasoning, that it's ok to break the community's work, just to move the core version number higher.

I do agree, however, that these boards are full of examples of short tempered responses. Again, I'm a noob here, but I can't help but notice a stressed/stressful tone/attitude in many threads. FYI only.
Big grin

Debian/etch Apache/2.2.3 MySQL/5.0.32-Debian_7etch1-log PHP/5.2.0-8+etch7 Dragonfly CMS/9.1.2.1

What a fascist boss you have, Nano. Eep.

What does the Eep mean?

Multiple Setups

whatrevolution wrote
Again, I'm a noob here, but I can't help but notice a stressed/stressful tone/attitude in many threads. FYI only.
You just made one 👏

.:: I met php the 03 December 2003 :: Unforgettable day! ::.

CloudLinux / Apache 2.4 LSAPI / MySQLi 5.6 / PHP 5.6 / DCVS

NanoCaiordo wrote
whatrevolution wrote
Again, I'm a noob here, but I can't help but notice a stressed/stressful tone/attitude in many threads. FYI only.
You just made one 👏
Floor laughing not worthy

Fedora 25 / Apache 2.4.27 / MariaDB 10.1.26 / PHP 7.1.10 / Mercurial

DJ Maze wrote
NanoCaiordo wrote
whatrevolution wrote
You just made one 👏

Lead Theme Designer - WebSiteGuru Designs

Linux 2.6.9 / Apache 2.2.6 / MySQL 5.0.27 / PHP 5 / DF Version 9.2.1

WebSiteGuru wrote
DJ Maze wrote
NanoCaiordo wrote
whatrevolution wrote
You just made one 👏
Cool Laughing Floor laughing

Scetter.com

Linux/2.2.20/5.1.61-log/5.3.8/9.3.3.1

hmm, another trolling comment, and it worked - why can't people just stick to relevant comments on the subject like previous posters.

Forum description says it all.

Better things to do than waste server space with it - locked.

Yes, it is worthwhile - there is, and has been for quite some time, a roadmap, and the journey is addressed in the CVS Info forum. There have been some bumps and potholes along the road which have slowed progress but the engine is now chugging along smoothly.

There is also planned life beyond the existing roadmap.