Miscellaneous ⇒ Chit-Chat :: Archives ⇒ Backordering Domains... :: Archived ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum IndexChit-Chat

Archived ⇒ Backordering Domains...

all -- I have my eye on a domain that is set to expire in October. What is the best way to secure that domain assuming the present holder lets it expire?

I have never gone through this type of process and wonder what I should be doing...

Thanks!

SEARCH the WIKI
How to Port for Dragonfly

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
Linux/Apache/MySQL 4.1.22/PHP 4.4.6/9.1.2.1

well it depends if the domain is in use or not.

For example i've registered the domain bugs-annoy.us but it isn't in use yet. However i do have goals for it.

So it realy depends on the name of it.

Fedora 25 / Apache 2.4.27 / MariaDB 10.1.26 / PHP 7.1.10 / Mercurial

Seen a few things that are supposed to grab expired domains as soon as they expire, but never used any, so no opinion of them:

www.dnware.com/expired/cb.htm

Most registration services also let you "back-order" a domain (like register.com)

Admin - Great Lakes Web Designs
Theme Designer - WebSite Guru Designs
Site Admin - Families with Food Allergies

Linux 2.6.27-grsec/Apache 2.2.11/MySQL 5.0.67-community-log/PHP 5.2.8/DF 9.2.1

The back-order process is a rip-off - it just means you end up flagging to someone that there is a market for that domain, so they charge you more for it - been there, done that, told them where to shove it.

On the other hand, there is a lengthy period after expiry before a domain can become available for re-circulation, so you would be waiting a minimum of 3 months after expiry.

You have to decide how badly you want it and how much you will be prepared to be ripped-off for it.

it would be more for convenience than anything else -- currently, there is nothing at the domain just an obnoxious page for me to submit a bid on purchasing it...

i hate those.
/sigh

SEARCH the WIKI
How to Port for Dragonfly

Linux/Apache/MySQL 4.1.22/PHP 4.4.6/9.1.2.1

Well if it is a domain that can be bid on, i think you should seek another.

Most domain harvesters never let go a domainname cos it already has cost them loads of money in the first place.
Just poll the expiry for years and then maybe after 10 years you'll grab it.

Fedora 25 / Apache 2.4.27 / MariaDB 10.1.26 / PHP 7.1.10 / Mercurial