Miscellaneous ⇒ Licenses, GPL & Violations :: Archives ⇒ Theme licensing? :: Archived ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum IndexLicenses, GPL & Violations

Archived ⇒ Theme licensing?

I just want a way to release my themes, allow anyone to modify them in any way they want for their personal use, but not redistribute them (especially in modified format) unless:
- Original credits are included (based on original work by WSGDesigns)
- Credits/support info is updated to note that this is modified from our design

Anyway to do this? Or just put in a text file that explains these things and HOPE that everyone complies (but have no legal way to back it up)?

Case in point. Someone took my wsg_WoWBlack theme (v1.0) and modified it to reflect the new Burning Crusade look. They then offered on their site for download. Very shortly later, I started receiving support questions on this theme that I could not replicate or were already fixed in the latest revision. After seeing the 3rd version that had identical modifications, I inquired where it was obtained, tracked down the person and gave him a choice:
- Modify the credits to note that this was his modification of my theme (he had just left the original credits)
- Turn over the modified theme to me for further support

He choose option 2, so I took his modified graphics and color styles, applied them to the latest wsg_WoWBlack theme and included his name in the credits for the TBC modifications and offered it as a new theme under WSGDesigns' name.

I too would be offended by someone taking my theme, "updating" it to support the latest DF, then offering it here for download. UNLESS, I had been contacted for permission first and no longer desired to maintain the theme myself.

I don't think it's right to just take Devon's themes and do with what you like. I would hope that Devon would trust someone to continue to maintain his themes for future DF versions, as he has contributed some great things to this CMS.

Admin - Great Lakes Web Designs
Theme Designer - WebSite Guru Designs
Site Admin - Families with Food Allergies

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
Linux 2.6.27-grsec/Apache 2.2.11/MySQL 5.0.67-community-log/PHP 5.2.8/DF 9.2.1

Splitted you post since not about TCD designs.

Anyway, the GPL covers it. Someone who makes a derivative must keep your credits in tact and keep a log in each file of what they have changed to your theme.

Fedora 25 / Apache 2.4.27 / MariaDB 10.1.26 / PHP 7.1.10 / Mercurial

Why not go to www.opensource.org/licenses and evaluate which license suit's your needs and pick one.

Keep in mind the purpose behind GPL, I quote:

When we speak of free software, we are referring to freedom, not price. Our General Public Licenses are designed to make sure that you have the freedom to distribute copies of free software (and charge for them if you wish), that you receive source code or can get it if you want it, that you can change the software or use pieces of it in new free programs, and that you know you can do these things.

To protect your rights, we need to prevent others from denying you these rights or asking you to surrender the rights. Therefore, you have certain responsibilities if you distribute copies of the software, or if you modify it: responsibilities to respect the freedom of others.

For example, if you distribute copies of such a program, whether gratis or for a fee, you must pass on to the recipients the same freedoms that you received. You must make sure that they, too, receive or can get the source code. And you must show them these terms so they know their rights.

Developers that use the GNU GPL protect your rights with two steps: (1) assert copyright on the software, and (2) offer you this License giving you legal permission to copy, distribute and/or modify it.

J.
j e r u v y a t y a h o o d o t c o m

Need help? Look here: www.dragonflycms.org/W...d=112.html
Need to chat? Look for me on irc.freenode.net

Ubuntu7.10/Debian3.1 - 2.2.3/1.3.37 - 5.0.38/4.0.27 - 5.2.1/4.4.7 - CVS/9.1.2}