Support ⇒ Upgrades :: Archives ⇒ Is it possible to downgrade to 9.0.6.1.? :: Archived ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum IndexUpgrades

Archived ⇒ Is it possible to downgrade to 9.0.6.1.?

I upgraded to 9.1.2.1. only because my host upped me to PHP 5 and MySql 5 and I had no choice. I preferred the simple layout of 9.0.6.1. and was wondering if there is any way of going backward?

Here's what I dislike:

1. In 9.0.6.1. at the top of the admin area there was a menu, regardless of the theme you were using. Now that I use a modified theme, I can't get Home easily.

2. In the admin area, clicking on Blocks, for example, causes the entire Home page to show up above the Blocks section, which makes me have to scroll, scroll, scroll downward until I get there. Maybe this is theme-related, but still, it didn't do that with 9.0.6.1.

3. Some mods are acting weirdly, like Pro News. Clicking on Full Article, for example, puts some of the Home page up and the full article in the middle of everything else, making it very difficult to find.

I realize that some of this may be the result of my theme mods, but I don't see 9.1.2.1. as a step forward. It's just a pain. I like progress, but so far I haven't seen anything except more work on my part.

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
Apache/1.3.34 (Unix)/MySql 5.0.27-standard-log/PHP 5.1.6/DF 9.1.2.1

Sounds like to me you need to update that theme. In order to progress there must be change.

Multiple Setups

Stepping back to 9.0.6.1 isn't possible and is not advisable anyway - you will be taking a risky backward step. Eventually you will have no option but to upgrade - there will be fewer hosts supporting PHP4 and eventually, DF will not support it either. We simply cannot maintain security by staying with old PHP versions that have issues and inhibit our ability to progress this cms.

In the near future, we also won't be providing forum support for versions under 9.1.2.1.

There won't be a reversion to the old admin javascript menu - it has issues and is useless for many people with js-disabled browsers. Since you are using a customized js menu, you should simply add a home link to it. If you simply uncheck the css menu option, the default theme will actually display your home and main links in the top line. If you simply chopped out the css menu code, then you won't have that option. The mountain_rush theme actually displays the old one line "Home, etc" menu in admin when css menu is disabled - so there are ways of theming with a fallback option.

If you have a problem with a core function, first you need to check the issue against an un-altered version of the default theme - if there is a core issue, report it through "Projects". I have not experienced what you are reporting in countless installations I have been through.

If you have a theme issue, place the issue in the "Themes" forum and someone may be able to help you. The simple fact is that the template engine is extremely powerful and virtually all issues can be remedied with a simple template tweak.

If you have a problem with a module, you need to provide feedback to the module author so he can fix it. The ProNews issue sounds like a simple theme template issue.

I am not "dissing" DF as a whole. I love it, and have used it for nearly 3 years. It was just simpler with 9.0.6.1. for me. With what Phoenix said, I suppose I do have no choice but to stay with 9.1.2.1. and while I do like progress, my sites at the moment seem anything but "progressive".

I will do some theme work. Let me ask a question... 9.1.2.1. comes with 2 themes, one is default and looks like the old cpgnuke theme. True?

Oh, I never took it as a diss, just concerns from a genuine member who is experiencing real issues Smile

Correct, default is based on the old cpgnuke theme with considerable enhancements, but it's appearance is essentially the same. We refer to that often as the standard to test issues against because it is tried, proven and reliable. In fact Diz will tell you that it is a good base to start from when building themes. If your current theme is based on the cpgnuke theme, you could almost take the default theme and apply your style.css to it along with some header and footer template tweaks.

Since we are keen to have people step up in their versions, we are also keen to help them do it - Nano's work on the installer is testament to that. If it is a bug in 9.1.2.1, we fix it in CVS and if the fix is backwards compatible with 9.1.2.1, we also link to the fix in the forums.

Actually I think I now see what you mean about your ProNews issue - what has happened is that the center up and down blocks are associated with ProNews, so when you view an article, you still get them. That is happening because ProNews is your home module - there was a hack somewhere that stops that happening when the module is not "home".

Thanks for the info, Phoenix. I've not used the CVS before, so I really don't know much about installing the latest version and such, but I will check that out.

CVS is currently stable but themes will break, so probably best to avoid it just now, especially in light of your current issues.

However, the theme adjustments are small and info is provided in the CVS Info forum.

If ProNews has a side block when you view an article, that will probably break too, until the version is upgraded to match CVS.

For other readers, here's the link that I think Phoenix is referring toin CVS Forum.

It would seem that Pro_News will fail with respect to editing the block. Doesn't use themesidebox(), or blocks_visible(), but does use $bid in a couple of modules (functions.php and admin_functions.php) as well as in the generated block code. Guess it will have to be updated at some point.

[Hopefully darkgrrue's suggested $bid = (isset($block['bid'])) ? $block['bid'] : intval($bid); works, 'cos Pro_News stores $bid in the db! Knew I should have stripped the block functionality out before I released it Wink ]

Pro_News CM™ - Content Management for Dragonfly CMS™

Linux / 1.3.39 - 2.4.9 / 5.5.42 - 5.6.16 / 5.4.37 - 5.5.11 / 9.4

What Chris is having an issue is this:

DF 9.0.6.1 - you could specify Center-Up and Center-Down blocks in the HOME module (only)
Now with DF 9.1.2.1, you can specify Center-Up and Center-Down for any module your like. Obviously, you don't like! Smile Sounds like you have those Center-up blocks turned on for Admininstration "module".
Go to Admin - Blocks, click Edit on the Center-up blocks and deselect everything except your Home Module. As Phoenix said, since Pro-News is your Home module, you will always display those center blocks unless you make the modifications details here: dragonflycms.org/Forum...20197.html

Admin - Great Lakes Web Designs
Theme Designer - WebSite Guru Designs
Site Admin - Families with Food Allergies

Linux 2.6.27-grsec/Apache 2.2.11/MySQL 5.0.67-community-log/PHP 5.2.8/DF 9.2.1

Thanks rlgura, that fixed the problem with all the blocks on top of Pro News (and other!) stuff. I liked the way things worked in 9.0.6.1. since I did like having some blocks above the "home" module, which is Pro News.

Thanks for the assist.

Here are detailed tutorials for blocks in 9.1.2.1
www.dizfunkshunal.com/...pid=1.html
www.dizfunkshunal.com/...pid=2.html

and if you decide to upgrade to cvs version and or the next release of DF

Heres a detailled tutorial of the block system for 9.1.2.6 and newer
www.dizfunkshunal.com/...id=22.html

the newest block system is completely new and gives you more options and control over the blocks system.

Multiple Setups