Miscellaneous ⇒ Chit-Chat :: Archives ⇒ What do you want to see in DragonflyCMS? :: Archived ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum IndexChit-Chat

Archived ⇒ What do you want to see in DragonflyCMS?

Please add your comments what is that what you miss most with DragonflyCMS.
Module/block/theme/administration anything...

I'm opened for your thoughts.

Madis

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
-

Two issues do scream out at me.
One thing most website users expect these days is an easy way to access a "friends list" and preferably display their friends in their My Page.
Now the hard one.
Many of the newer CMS scripts are including a script editer in the admin sections so errors can be corrected, modifications made, etc all from within the safety of admin.

"So! A good deed in a weary world"

OS/Linux - Apache/1.3.37 (Unix) - MySQL/4.1.21-standard - PHP/4.4.6 - CPGNuke/9.1.2.1

@Downunder, each DragonflyCMS users have its own custom block available within their account settings and site admins are free to choose module, side and position where they want to let the block shows up.

About the second option i think that everyone loves their own editor to make changes. Also its even faster for local testing; who wants to directly edit production site files whitout at least a syntax highlighter anyways?

.:: I met php the 03 December 2003 :: Unforgettable day! ::.

CloudLinux / Apache 2.4 LSAPI / MySQLi 5.6 / PHP 5.6 / DCVS

I don't want to spoil this forum by letting it digress from the topic but I have no idea what this means
@Downunder, each DragonflyCMS users have its own custom block available within their account settings and site admins are free to choose module, side and position where they want to let the block shows up.

From my point of view on the other topic, the less risk of contamination the better Smile

OS/Linux - Apache/1.3.37 (Unix) - MySQL/4.1.21-standard - PHP/4.4.6 - CPGNuke/9.1.2.1

there is a social module in development over at df bounty

this is a friends list with bells and whistles

www.dfbounty.org/Forum...art=0.html

CMS Version 9.1.2.1
PHP Version 4.4.4
MySQL Version 4.1.22-standard (client: 4.1.22)

CMS Version 9.1.2.1HP Version 4.4.4MySQL Version 4.1.22-standard (client: 4.1.22

Thank you jeffk I need to make a decision on if I can continue with all these errors, I know I can't do it without help, if I do I will add to the Bounty

Seems to me that DF needs to modernize a little, IMHO. I'm no coder by a long shot, but when people come up with neat mods for adding video to the Home page blocks, or people are working on something akin to a "myspace-ish" page in the Personality module, it makes the site better. I like DF for its security and the fact that it's solid and "just works", but I am also jealous many times when I go looking at the multitude of modules and blocks available for PHPNuke, because there are just not as many for us here at DF.

Everyone knows how hard it is for admins to try and keep our sites fresh and interesting, and I like to be able to offer up new things for my members. Most of the time when I see something I really like on another site, I just stick in an IFrame on my DF site and use that. Also, there are little things that mean a lot to members. People seem to love to see their avatars whereever possible, and I think more blocks and modules should be made with that in mind. The blogs is a good example, as is anywhere else on the site where comments can be made.

It seems that many DF modules are solid, but oh so plain, and lack certain features that would make them so much better. The ability to upload images to other areas of the site like blogs and reviews would make such a difference. The ability to hit a Discuss It button for every little thing on the site would be great too. I remember using MKPortal for just a short while, and while that CMS had tons of security issues, the few mods that were available were really nice. One I remembered was a Multimedia module that allowed uploading and displaying of all types of multimedia easily.

Most things in DF seem to center around the forums. I like the forums too, but as I try to keep the interest up and the site content fresh on my sites, having blocks display some of these neat features like the forums have would help a lot.

I understand that DF is free, and the coders work at no charge, for the most part. That's why I don't ask for a module, I just find what I like and use it in an IFrame. I just think that when people are designing upgrades for CMS's like DF, they need to think a little bolder, and put some real meat into some of these modules.

All of this is my opinion of course. Regardless of the things I would like to see in DF, I wouldn't change to anything else for any amount of money.

Apache/1.3.34 (Unix)/MySql 5.0.27-standard-log/PHP 5.1.6/DF 9.1.2.1

I can give you some answers:

chris5000 wrote
One I remembered was a Multimedia module that allowed uploading and displaying of all types of multimedia easily.

EHPDesigns's DF Multimedia v2.0.4

chris5000 wrote
The ability to hit a Discuss It button for every little thing on the site would be great too.

Kendle's Module Comment System

-

There is nothing to be added to chris5000's post. It describes the status quo from the pont of view of an admin (not coder) perfectly.

And while the comments plugin certainly is a step in the right direction, I do not think it can replace the benefit that a proper and native "discuss this" enhancement could bring. This is, keeping in mind that many if not most community sites are mainly about getting together to chat, discuss, show things to other people and to make friends.

Linux 2.6.17.8/MySQL: 4.1.22/PHP: 4.4.8/DF: 9.2.1.1

Relating to chris5000 & Golem's posts... Yeah, but...

I agree with lots of your comments - although to be fair when DF was built we were not yet in a YouTube/MySpace world. And I'm not trying to knock you - after all they are both users of Pro_News, and chris5000 is probably the strongest supporter for Pro_News, but let me put down a few points from the developer side - if I dare put myself in that category. (I'm no coder, last time I coded was on an Interdata 7/32 and 8/32, and in Assembler not C - Kernigan & Richie at that time had only just got their Interdata 7/32 to commence development of Unix & C, so that they could continue to play their beloved Space games! ;-))

We are clearly short of developers here on DF. How DJ, Nano and Phoenix manage to continue to develop DF as much as they do is beyond me, and I'm truly grateful as their isn't much alternative if, like me, you want a site that can survive the security attacks out there in wild. I did PHP-Nuke once, nuf said!

We really have desperately few developers at the PHP level currently. Ronin, Kendle, BrokenCrust, MikieMouse, and a few more, certainly not more than a handful. We now seem to have driven Sarah away to MyndWorx in the last few months, which is a real shame/loss. (Especially as she was helping me with ForumsPro support in Pro_News.) While I'd like to hope that a few members here will ease themselves into PHP over time, that isn't going to meet anyone's expectations in the short term.

But from a developer's viewpoint, I can see where more help and support can/could/should come from the community to maximize the efforts of - and encourage - those scarce developers.

Let me give you an example. I did the Pro_News follow on to Kuragari's original beta, because I need it, and no-one else was doing it, and I released it back under GPL because I thought I "owed" it to the community. I was unsure what type of reception it would receive, but I had expected more support if it was taken up - as it has been. I know I've been slow getting out a follow-up release, and I have good reasons (unrelated to the online world), but there hasn't been a lot of support - as a community - either. I have worked to support users asap when they log problems on my site but I could count on 2 finger's when any users have rallied round to help other users. Pro_News is fully templated, and I have a place on my site for new article templates to be shared. I see numerous ones around, that look way better than anything I could build (CSS is/was not my strong point), but none are being shared.

I'm not doing this for the money, but it does cost me almost $100 per annum for this site. Initially I needed a site for personal reasons, but now Pro_News support is the only real justification. I did get $83 in DFBounty, thanks to a Pro_News user bringing it to my attention, but I've not seen a single donation since. Let me be clear, I'm not going to stop supporting and/or enhancing Pro_news simply because of an outstanding expense of $100 per year. Nor am I going anywhere, check out the Members' List, I'm user profile number 12! But if you want to encourage developers to develop, it seems - from this seat anyway - reasonable to make it a $0 out-of-pocket expense for them. But whether it's a few $'s or just expressed thanks; polite, positive, feedback is required if you want to maximize these limited development resources.

I do want to mention the translators though: I've had Pro_News translated into Norwegian, Arabic, Dutch and French (and I can convert it into English as against American myself if anyone needs it ;-)) And I really do appreciate that.

What I'm describing for Pro_News must apply at least in part to DF too. So finally, let me just say that if we want DF to prosper we need to act more like a community here too. We get a few less-than-polite posts here - mostly from newbies - and we tend to leave them to Phoenix, or Nano, or DJ, to handle. Admittedly Phoenix has a way of expressing himself succinctly than many of us can't match. But can you imagine the drain on him having to deal with this, week in, week out?

So in summary: Let's please try to foster a mutual support community here, and at developer's sites for products which can't be hosted here. Rather than "I'm no coder by a long shot" we should be saying: "How else can I help short of PHP coding?" As an example I helped Ertan develop Calendar4U a few years back without touching any code, by doing all the testing and sorting out the usability issues for him.

Thanks for your time.

Pro_News CM™ - Content Management for Dragonfly CMS™

Linux / 1.3.39 - 2.4.9 / 5.5.42 - 5.6.16 / 5.4.37 - 5.5.11 / 9.4

Eestlane wrote
I can give you some answers:

chris5000 wrote
One I remembered was a Multimedia module that allowed uploading and displaying of all types of multimedia easily.

EHPDesigns's DF Multimedia v2.0.4

chris5000 wrote
The ability to hit a Discuss It button for every little thing on the site would be great too.

Kendle's Module Comment System

first of all, thanks for the links ...

but this is one other problem with DF ... we need a page, where ALL modules/Addons/themes are listed ... ok, some are in the downloads here, but not enought ...

>>> German Dragonfly - Team

Linux/1.3.37/4.0.25-5.0.18/4.4.7-5.2.1/9.0.6.1-9.1.2.5

Well, the comment system isn't straight forward script, I guess, so it can't be in downloads. Maybe.
Adding the stuff to Downloads is actually something that Developers should do or could do.

Oh, and it was nice to read your post, layingback. I havenät used Pro_News yet, because... mhm, well I actually don't need one. I could be a module developer aswell, though maybe not on top level, but I make modules, that I personally need, and atm, I have no idea, what I really should have, and most of my time goes for the reDesign theme I'm making.

EDIT: There is still one thing, why I should try ProNews. The image adding possibility. Yeah, that's the reason I may try it some day.

-

I'll have to chime in with my thoughts on some of what layingback was saying. Kendle came up with a Movies module which was great. There were a couple of issues, but he gave this to us out of the kindness of his heart (he did it originally for his stepson) and the very first thing that happens is everybody in the world wants it "another way", or "why can't it do this?". That's the problem with giving anything you develop away. Not many understand (or care?) that these things are free and done in a person's spare time, but yet they always want more, more, more. I had some interaction with Kendle about the module, but mine were only to get it running (MySql 5 issues). I've seen that over and over, and layingback's Pro News is another example of how you work on something, give it away for free, and then it's just "not good enough" for some people and they want it customized. Jeez.

Apache/1.3.34 (Unix)/MySql 5.0.27-standard-log/PHP 5.1.6/DF 9.1.2.1

Well, that's quite logical, isn't it? And I wouldn't blame the users of the module then.

-

Well, chris, I think you're wrong in some points ...

of course we (if I might include myself) give away our work for free, because that´s the way OSS and the community works.
And you always find some guys, who think your work is just "not good enough" .. but this is not always negative ...

personaly, I like to get some feedback, feature requests or plain ideas, this helps me improve my work.

If we all start to charge money for our mods, modules or themes, DF would soon come to an end ... sad but true

And for the money ... hey, I pay about 600 €/year for hosting my pages, and i hardly get any money back ... I do it for the communities, I'm associated with.

DF needs people, who share their work, people who react on reasonable feedback & requests AND who are able to ignore stupid babble ...

and now pardon me and my bad english ...

>>> German Dragonfly - Team

Linux/1.3.37/4.0.25-5.0.18/4.4.7-5.2.1/9.0.6.1-9.1.2.5