Support ⇒ phpBB ⇒ Problems converting phpBB2 database to df ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum Index Switch from X to Dragonfly phpBB

Problems converting phpBB2 database to df Reply to topic

Ran into a very odd problem in my journey to get my forum converted from SMF to phpBB2 to the DF system.

Basically, I cannot install phpBB2 on my server. I cannot figure out why. I have looked at every help thread at phpbb to figure out why I'm getting the White Screen problem and it won't even start the install.

I looked at every other way to get from SMF to DF, but they ALL lead through phpBB2.

So, in my meantime, I was able to install phpBB3, and convert successfully my SMF to it. I am thinking I may try the phpBB2 converter on it and see what happens, I have not seen any reports here of that. As far as I'm concerned, as long as the users and posts mke it through, if all other data is lost, I can reset permissions and passwords and whatever else needs done.

This post is just a basic report on my progress. Dragonfly ROCKS. I was able to set up 3 sites to use the same database and share users with no problem. Did that to test how the system works, and see what it can do. This 4th site is the one that I plan to use as the master for members and such, the rest are satellite sites.

I just thought I'd see if anyone else ran into that phpBB2 roadblock? I may still need to find a way through it, if I can't figure out a way or find a way to make phpBB3 convert to Dragonfly.

I of course still have the original SMF version ready to revert to if there is another path to Dragonfly that doesn't require phpBB2.

Any comments or help will be appreciated.

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
Linux/Apache 2.0.54 (Fedora)/4.1.20/5.0.4/9.1.2.1

Thank you for updating your server specs, and adding your link.
Since you WWW, shows you have already begun the installation of DF, I have moved your post to the "Problems after Install forums".
I have renamed your subject heading, to help you get better support results.

We do not use phpbb, so I am guessing your problem is converting your phpbb database files to cpg-bb which is what df uses.

I personally can not understand what you have done, since I am not fimilar with phpbb2 or 3. So I am hoping others may be able to assist you.

DF TIPS | Upgrade| Find Your Signature Specs|
"A bug in the code is worth two in the documentation. "

Please enter your server specs in your user profile! 😢

I am, right now, seeing if phpBB3 will convert...I will report if it does. My guess is it will have problems, but we'll see.

I would feel better if I could have installed phpbb2, but, I'll do what I can.

I don't know if many others have tried this, doesn't seem like it.

I'll wait till I have results to post again, but thanks for putting this where you feel it will serve the community best.

to continue with my report:

I was able to use the converter successfully on my phpbb3 data, and the membership at least has made it into the DF setup.

They are ALL "suspended" but I can deal with that...unsuspending them sends them an e-mail, so at least they will know when I go unsuspend them that the site's back in order. I'm going to see if I can add a link TO the site to that e-mail so when they get it, the can come log in and look around with a click.

Now, the Forum is not working yet. But this is an install problem, I got it working on one of the URLs we're using, so I am assuming I'll figure it out for the main one. Wish I'd written down what I did the first time through, lol.

The default install has been giving this error on the forum section:

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting ',' or ';' in /var/www/vhosts/dimestoreproductions.com/httpdocs/includes/phpBB/functions.php on line 450

when I figure out why again, I'll report.

well, to report:

I added a ; at line 450, and the forum works.

However, the boards and posts, while logged as existing, are not displaying. So I'll report on what it takes to get THAT going.