Miscellaneous ⇒ Server Chat ⇒ Pruning the Database? ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum IndexServer Chat

Pruning the Database? Reply to topic

Trying to alleviate consistent high loads. Seems odd to me that after upgrading from PHP4.4 and Apache 1.3 to PHP 5 and Apache 2 that my loads have gone significantly up, but thats the situation. I've decided to bite the bullet and pare down the db to a reasonable number.

In the past anytime I've tried to prune forum posts using the forums admin, it's brought the server to it's knees for hours. And often I can't even be sure that posts were deleted.

Is there a preferred method to this?

Also, are these numbers in line:

bbposts 150MB
bbposts_text 467MB
prvmsgs 19MB
prvmsgs_text 98MB
wordmatch 460MB (31 million rows)

Those are the major tables. Everything else is just a drop in the bucket.

My Little Pony Arena

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
Redhat Enterprise 4/Apache 2.2/MySQL 4.1.22/PHP 5/CPG 9.1.2.1

This may help dragonflycms.org/Forum...19058.html

The ARRSE site has the most experience of the type of issue you have - they may be able to help.

Major pruning in one hit will, as you have found, really slow your site - you need to find smaller prune "bites" on a forum basis to minimize that slowness.

I'm not sure if you have it installed but you should consider installing eAccelerator I noticed major improvements across my server with reduced loads, faster loading times right after I installed it, if you do an apache update it should list as an option and configures it for you. A few cache options within the apache 2 config aswell that might prove useful for you.

Have a look at my new chat home: www.worldwidechatters.com
Looking for hosting www.caltonhosting.com