Trying to alleviate consistent high loads. Seems odd to me that after upgrading from PHP4.4 and Apache 1.3 to PHP 5 and Apache 2 that my loads have gone significantly up, but thats the situation. I've decided to bite the bullet and pare down the db to a reasonable number.
In the past anytime I've tried to prune forum posts using the forums admin, it's brought the server to it's knees for hours. And often I can't even be sure that posts were deleted.
I'm not sure if you have it installed but you should consider installing eAccelerator I noticed major improvements across my server with reduced loads, faster loading times right after I installed it, if you do an apache update it should list as an option and configures it for you. A few cache options within the apache 2 config aswell that might prove useful for you.