General ⇒ $this->Website ⇒ [Suggestion] Add specs file to all df releases? ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum Index$this->Website

[Suggestion] Add specs file to all df releases? Reply to topic

Poll: Add specs file to all df releases?
Yes 4
No 8
Total Votes 12

I've got an idea.
What if we... I mean you... would add that file(serverspecs.php) in the future Dragonfly releases. And then make the server specs field in dragonflycms.org forums automatically give the url for USERS_SITE/serversspecs.php
It might be no perfect if someone wants to give several specs or something (but (s)he could also edit the serverspecs.php file then for manual text addition).

EDIT: Thanks, Melinda, for moderation. Also added the voting booth.

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
-

Last edited by Eestlane on Sun May 11, 2008 2:06 pm; edited 3 times in total

I vote no!

DF TIPS | Upgrade| Find Your Signature Specs|
"A bug in the code is worth two in the documentation. "

Please enter your server specs in your user profile! 😢

Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but what if one day there was a major security issue. Wouldn't this allow anyone to easily interrogate our systems to see if they were susceptible?

Pro_News CM™ - Content Management for Dragonfly CMS™

Linux / 1.3.39 - 2.4.9 / 5.5.42 - 5.6.16 / 5.4.37 - 5.5.11 / 9.4

I thought on this myself too, but they can see this information from this site here already anyway.

-

This information changes too rarely for it to be retrieved each time a post is looked at on DF. It's very wasteful of bandwidth. Maybe it should get set it only when you first sign up on the forum. Most support requests don't actually need the specs anyway, not enough for all the fuss made about them anyway.

Please enter your server specs in your user profile! 😢

That also made me think on one other thing. There could be i.e a little icon on every post and if you click on it javascript triggers the serverspecs - then there would be no lost of bandwidth and less loading from other sites.

-

Hi there

I have to say i voted No on this one

I have just had some great help upgrading my server / server software and DF structure and as soon as i knew my new server and DF version the very first thing i did was upgrade my server spec on my DF account.. it took just a couple of mins but did so with great pleasure...

If you are a DF website user and look after your own site one should take pride and place along side the DF Community to look after your own account....as part and parcel to all the help others have given yourself....

Also i would much prefere the engineers to be coding on much more important things that they need to attend to.

best wishes to all

Tim

MySQL Version 5.0.45 PHP Version 5.2.6 apache is 1.3.41 Dragonfly 9.2.1 Windows 7

I must agree with BC - specs info does not change often enough to justify the bandwidth nor is specs info relevant to most support requests. However, the DF version is increasingly relevant to many support requests.

The auto-specs code was offered for two main reasons:
a) to simply it for those who have difficulty finding their info.
b) to standardize the use of specs and obtain clearly legible info.

There is no need for images, especially when a number of them are barely readable - the forum post content is what is important here, not the eye candy.

Agreed with Phoenix, and BC. No needs to have that build in to the core.

The original released of the server specs (that was in colors image) a while back it was to help users that:

Pheonix wrote

a) to simply it for those who have difficulty finding their info.
b) to standardize the use of specs and obtain clearly legible info.

Since then the rule had changed as per link pointed by Pheonix.

Lead Theme Designer - WebSiteGuru Designs

Linux 2.6.9 / Apache 2.2.6 / MySQL 5.0.27 / PHP 5 / DF Version 9.2.1