General ⇒ $this->Website ⇒ Allow .7z extension for Downloads ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum Index$this->Website

Allow .7z extension for Downloads Reply to topic

Go to page 1, 2 Next

As the topic title says.
It's nice to offer as much as possible formats for people, i.e I would like to give .zip, .rar and .7z, but .7z is not currently allowed.

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
-

Admin - Downloads - Configuration - Uploading

admin.php?op=Downloads&file=config&s=6

Admin - Great Lakes Web Designs
Theme Designer - WebSite Guru Designs
Site Admin - Families with Food Allergies

Linux 2.6.27-grsec/Apache 2.2.11/MySQL 5.0.67-community-log/PHP 5.2.8/DF 9.2.1

Hehe, check the category of this topic, rlgura.
It's always nice to have some feedback anyway, so thanks Smile

-

Nice and pointless balance on the same fine line.

My English skills aren't perfect enough to get the meaning of your sentence, Phoenix.

-

There are enough options already - "nice" is a luxury we don't have when it consumes limited resources, so it becomes "pointless".

m'kay.

..cheap bastards Razz

-

I don't think a totally free ride for 4 years from our gracious hosts at DedicatedNow is cheap - they would find that very insulting.

Well, it wasn't meant seriously, hence the smiley.
I totally understand, I'm having a free host for me aswell.

-

Some things you don't joke about - that old saying about not biting the hand that feeds you - and some cultures don't take well to being called bastards 😉

Ich habe zu viel British sitcoms watched, I guess.

-

Since people will only download one of the formats, it's hardly a big deal to host a few extra kb is it? Another huge fuss over something that doesn't need it.

5 seconds work to add an extension in the settings and an okay-dokey - maybe another 5 seconds of typing. You could have spread a little happiness for 10 seconds work and a few extra kb of free space, but instead we get a lot of negative nonsense about how we're somehow sucking the life from DF.org by making our downloads more accessible. Irony, it seems, is not dead.

Please enter your server specs in your user profile! 😢

Well, if everyone would add more formats and people always download them... oh yeah bandwidth isn't affected, actually would make it less as 7z makes more tight filesizes.

However the physical harddrive might get too stuffed.

-

WE only have 80GB to our disposal.
Sum: Linux + CVS + website + mailinglists + personal stuff

7z would be nice but it also full of bugs. I 7z'ed occasionally and always found a hard time to decompress it.
Several compression tools use different 7z compressions which makes the "smaller" download useless and therefore you download a bz2 version.

bz2 + 7z is always more bandwith then a single bz2

Oh and who is going to provide support to all 7z downloads that fail to extract?

Fedora 25 / Apache 2.4.27 / MariaDB 10.1.26 / PHP 7.1.10 / Mercurial

If the format doesn't actually work, then that is a different argument. No point in having it if it won't decompress, but maybe if a developer wants to support it as a download from his own site it would be nice to be able to add a mirror to it from his download here.

Personally I only make zip version since my stuff is very small and this format will (almost certainly) work. Sometimes I will take the .gz version if offered the choice for a large download file, but I never take anything else unless it is the only option since I am always suspicious that it won't work, or I need some dodgy tool to decompress it.

Please enter your server specs in your user profile! 😢