Dragonfly CMS v9 ⇒ Downloads Pro ⇒ Editor's Pick ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum Index Modules & Blocks Downloads Pro

Editor's Pick Reply to topic

I tried searching and didn't really find anything, so here's my question...

I want to try and code in the editor's pick option for download CATEGORIES instead of the actual FILE. On the website I am currently running there is usual a series of downloads (say 10) that are all parts of a certain category. Think of it as a music album. The category is the album title, then the 10 downloads are each a different song in that album (this is just an example, not what I am doing but fits the bill). So, if you want to make the ALBUM an editor's pick, there's no real way to do it since a category can't be an editor's pick. So, right now we have been picking the first download in the category and making it an editor's pick, but they are usually lacking in description etc.

So, I was just wondering if there was any way to code the Editor's Pick option into categories instead of/in addition to the downloads and how to do it is possible. If not, I'll just continue to use what we've been doing Sad

Please enter your server specs in your user profile! 😢

Oh, and while at it... if there's a way to review a category instead of just a download as well. Couldn't edit above post, so had to double post. Sorry

Well, you could add multiple files to a single Download aswell...

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
-

Yeah, I tried that but then it doesn't show a truly accurate count of the number of downloads available on the site. Put 50 files on one download and it says you have 1 download still.

Correct. If you provide 50 download locations it still is the same file, just on different hosts or in different file formats.
50 files doesn't mean 50 different applications.
In that respect the count is correct since you're only offering 1 application/movie/whateffa.

If you think the system should respect each file as totally different, then you should look somewhere else.

Fedora 25 / Apache 2.4.27 / MariaDB 10.1.26 / PHP 7.1.10 / Mercurial

Well, my complaint (and it's not even a complaint) is not about adding 50 files to 1 download and it being counted as 1 download. The app does what it is supposed to do in that regards. I merely commented to the above poster in regards to, what I assume was how they meant, this:

Add 1 album, add all 15 songs to that one album (each song being a different mirror on the album as the download) and then make that album an editor's pick in order to do what I want to do. Which, I tried, but I'd rather it say I have 15 songs instead of say I have 1 album in the list of total downloads. So, that's why I make the "album" the category and add 15 seperate downloads for each "song" (again using the hypothetical example of albums/songs from my above post).

If you think the system should respect each file as totally different, then you should look somewhere else.

That is not at all what I am saying (if you refer to my original post) and in no way actual helps me know if it is possible to do the code change I'd like to do (if it's possible). Please only comment constructively to my original problem. If what I want to do (in regards to make a category an editor's pick) is not possible, I have no problem, I still love this app. But telling me to go look somewhere else based upon something that I understand is working how it is intended and I have no complaints with doesn't help me at all.

Thank you.

Bayard wrote

That is not at all what I am saying (if you refer to my original post) and in no way actual helps me know if it is possible to do the code change I'd like to do (if it's possible). Please only comment constructively to my original problem. If what I want to do (in regards to make a category an editor's pick) is not possible, I have no problem, I still love this app. But telling me to go look somewhere else based upon something that I understand is working how it is intended and I have no complaints with doesn't help me at all.

Thank you.

I think he meant get a different module that gear toward Music downloads. Not Downloads Pro, this gear toward the regular types of downloads.

Lead Theme Designer - WebSiteGuru Designs

Linux 2.6.9 / Apache 2.2.6 / MySQL 5.0.27 / PHP 5 / DF Version 9.2.1

I probably misconstrued that, so I apologize. I'm not doing music downloads, I just used that as an example. All in all, I tihnk Downloads pro is an awesome and exceptional module and it more than meets all my needs. I was just curious about re-programming the editor's pick option.

Since it doesn't seem like it can be done, I'll just not worry about it. It's not a deal breaking item or anything, just a neat thing I was hoping to program in to make the featured downloads section prettier, but my php knowledge is limited at best. lol

Thanks for the replies.

I understand the idea and it is a good idea. Your example is a terrific example on how it can be of use.

Personally, i think a "album" can be the download and promoted as editor's pick and provide each track seperatly inside download.
The only extension you might want is to show the amount of tracks and how often each track is downloaded separately.

Maybe someone will eventually extend the purpose of the multiple files for a download feature.

Fedora 25 / Apache 2.4.27 / MariaDB 10.1.26 / PHP 7.1.10 / Mercurial