Support ⇒ New installations ⇒ Issue with gzipped compression (?) in install.php ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum IndexNew installations

Issue with gzipped compression (?) in install.php Reply to topic

Hi there,

Dedicated self-managed server
Operating system: CentOS Linux 5.2
Apache: 2.2.3
PHP: 5.2.6 see chasingsol.com/phpinfo.php
Dragonfly base URL: chasingsol.com/cs/df
Dragonfly Install URL: chasingsol.com/cs/df/install.php

When attempting to use the install.php script, the server returns garbage. Other sites hosted on this server are not experiencing any problems. I am unsure as to whether this is a PHP.ini configuration issue or some other problem. Any assistance/insight would be appreciated.

Best regards.

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
CentOS 5.2/Apache 2.2.3/MySQL 5.1.32/PHP 5.2.9/Dragonfly 9.2.1

Note that I have now updated PHP to version 5.2.9 and MySQL to version 5.1.32 out of an abundance of caution. No change, install.php still returns garbage.

Some additional information. By manually disabling gzip support in Firefox, install.php now renders correctly. Internet Explorer still fails by attempting to download install.php. It appears that the index.php page is being double gzipped.

I don't have gzip support disabled in Firefox and the install page loads fine for me. It also loads fine in IE7.

Gaming League / Cup - www.leaguecms.co.uk :: Other DragonFly modules - www.cmsdreams.co.uk

Hopefully all of the above will be of use to someone in the future. I have discovered that Apache's default mod_deflate module and Dragonfly also using PHP's gzip compression (it is turned off in php.ini, but Dragonfly enables it) is where the issue has arisen, hence garbage being produced by double gzipping.

This is obviously a less than ideal condition since my Apache and PHP configurations are vanilla with no special tweaks from the defaults. I am reluctant to disable compression on Apache since best practices indicate compression is preferably enabled on the webserver, and would appreciate some direction on how to forcibly disable Dragonfly from using gzip or a method to detect Apache's existing support.

Kendle wrote
I don't have gzip support disabled in Firefox and the install page loads fine for me. It also loads fine in IE7.

Indeed, I just fixed where the issue was arising through double gzipping. That's why it loads fine now! Smile

I have disabled mod_deflate in Apache for the time being until there is another solution, since I am anxious to be able to install Dragonfly.

Chasingsol wrote
Kendle wrote

Indeed, I just fixed where the issue was arising through double gzipping. That's why it loads fine now! Smile

Smile

I have Apache 2.0, PHP 5, MySQL 5 etc. on a dedicated server, mod_deflate is loaded but I don't have this issue with my DF9.2 site. Unfortunately I don't understand these things well enough to know what the real issue may be if mod_deflate isn't the problem.

One thing though, is that install.php bypasses DF's compression completely, it doesn't gzip the output at all. Regular pages do, but install.php doesn't.

Gaming League / Cup - www.leaguecms.co.uk :: Other DragonFly modules - www.cmsdreams.co.uk

I'm not sure what quite what is going on either. I have other sites that run with no issue, including phpBB with gzip enabled and MediaWiki too. I've never experienced a problem similar to this one before. It's apparent that the issue is definitely one related to gzip compression, since disabling mod_deflate fixes the issue as does disabling Firefox's gzip support which prevents it from announcing it is capable of receiving gzipped date.

I'm fairly confident that my configuration is ok since no other php sites have any rendering issues at all.

Incidentally, I have now re-enabled mod_deflate on Apache, and since Dragonfly is now installed it is working as expected. It's apparent that there is some issue with install.php alone. The site works, install.php still returns garbage... Very odd.