Miscellaneous ⇒ Server Chat ⇒ [solved] server 500 error ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum IndexServer Chat

[solved] server 500 error Reply to topic

I debugged my site looking to fix a few bugs, i found the list below, most seem to relate to admin/await.inc

I noticed when i couldn't move any block and when i click update in blocks area i get a http 500 error,

Any ideas to a fix?

includes/cmsinit.inc CMS Notice line 151: sendmail_from: webmaster @ df-outpost.com

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
Litespeed/Apache2.4.23/MySQL5.5.42/PHP 5.6.25/DF 9.4.0.0

There is only 1 error there (I removed the sql queries) and that isn't causing your problem.

You'll need to look for the 500 error in your server logs.

I looked on the error log of the server, i found a few small things e.g. missing an image in theme and such which is fixed. I can't see anything related to 500

Would replacing all files with new ones and running the database over it fix this?

hmm, you can't have a 500 error and have no trace of it? Is it a true 500 (internal server error) or another of the 5xx series?

If not in the error log, and it really should be there in some form, then you will need to view the full apache log for some clue - there can be numerous causes of a 500 error and only your logs can provide that clue.

Have you activated your cpg_error.log through error.php to see what that reveals?

You should differentiate between a database (sql) error, which you don't appear to have, and a server (apache, php) error - re-uploading files may help resolve some inadvertent error in a file, although the 500 error may be more indicative of a file permissions issue, and file uploads won't resolve that. Leave your database alone.

In the cPanel under Error Log i have lots of 404.shtml errors mostly as said missing pic's so don't think it's to do with this.

I checked the /error_log and found.

[15-Jul-2008 16:29:29] PHP Warning: require_once(includes/cmsinit.inc) [<a href='function.require-once'>function.require-once</a>]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/XXXXX/public_html/(my site)/index.php on line 41 [15-Jul-2008 16:29:29] PHP Fatal error: require_once() [<a href='function.require'>function.require</a>]: Failed opening required 'includes/cmsinit.inc' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/XXXXX/public_html/(my site)/index.php on line 41

Below that on /error_log is a page of
[15-Mar-2009 02:31:17] PHP Warning: Module 'mysqli' already loaded in Unknown on line 0

Latest Visitors Log has a few 503 errors

/index.php?name=ForumsPro&file=viewtopic&p=21 Http Code: 503 Date: May 14 12:59:22 Http Version: HTTP/1.1 Size in Bytes: 1750 Referer: - Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Googlebot/2.1; +http://www.google.com/bot.html)

I had ForumsPro installed with a few posts but went back to original Forums and deleted ForumsPro.

Don't know if the info is any help in sorting my problem.

i ended up moving all the files into a backup folder, uploaded new ones, installed and seems to have fixed the debug issues. Very Happy

I had to uninstall and reinstall a few module from the db, for some reason some modules showed them not installed but the module was active, anyway fix the prob them by reinstalling them Very Happy

Only 1 bug now which is the blocks admin, when i click update after making a change i get a 500 page Sad

i will have to go over the logs looking for this 500 , now all the other bugs are fixed.

just noticed the same thing on 2 other site on the same server,
when i click update in blocks admin and i get a 500 eror.

I tried it on my other hdd using (Wamp) and it's fine.

So it might be a file permissions issue from the host maybe?

Yep
Phoenix wrote
the 500 error may be more indicative of a file permissions issue

this is the reoccuring error

[Mon May 18 09:13:21 2009] [error] [client 203.xxx.xxx] ALERT - configured POST variable limit exceeded - dropped variable 'id[]' (attacker 203.xxx.xxx, file '/home/xxxxx/public_html/admin.php'), referer: http://df-outpost.com/admin.php?op=blocks

I understand now, permission being blocked, just a matter of how to fix it.

The CHMOD seems correct (750/755/644)
i can't seem to do any more from my end so i figure it's upto to host to see if they can fix it.

sent an email to host, man was a quick reply lol

"The problem was due to the configured PhP variable (POST) used in your script has exceeded the fixed server length. I have increased the server value to allow the method to be accessible. Try again and let me know if still the problem persist."

they fixed it in seconds, all working properly again.

problem solved.

hmm, the admin area is not normally what I would call an intensive area.

Your host appears to be using suhosin and was being overly restrictive - it's a very common problem, once you work out the source, and affects numerous PHP applications as well as other CMSs.

Moved to Server Chat forum - certainly not a DF issue (for future search requests).

Suhosin issues discussed in detail here:
dragonflycms.org/Forum...c/t=22811/