Support ⇒ Modules & Blocks ⇒ Facebook Connect ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum IndexModules & Blocks

Facebook Connect Reply to topic

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 711, 12, 13 Next

In my opinion we need to invest some more time to integration with Facebook and Myspace etc as this is now the future.

Is anyone out there willing to take this project on? I have been looking but it is quite complicated and beyond my skills.

Facebook connect is now pretty much a standard feature in many CMS's and Forum software.

It allows allows your guests and existing users to login with their Facebook account through Facebook Connect. If they havent previously registered on your site, then a new account is automatically created using details from their Facebook profile.

vBulletin has this as an add-on, here is what they say:

Benefits of Facebook Connect

* Users can simply login with their Facebook account without going through the registration process.
* Increase user interaction and your traffic through Facebook notifications and news-feeds!

Features
Facebook users will be able to receive Facebook notifications when:

* There is a reply to their thread or a thread that they're subscribing to
* They receive a new PM

News-Feed will be published on to the user's wall when the user:

* Logs in for the first time
* Replies to a thread
* Creates a new thread

Fetch user data from Facebook
Fetch data like name, location, profile picture and use it on your forums! (NOTE: Some data may not be available for some users)

Automatically befriend user's friends
If any of the user's friends are also registered on the forum, they will automatically be friends!

Forwards Ever, Backwards Never!

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
Linux-CentOS 5. Apache 2.2.3. SQL 5.0.87. PHP 5.2.11. DF9.2.1

If you take a look at this site:

developers.facebook.com/connect.php

There is an example code and site to look at.

I use this on my worpress blog and would really like to see it in the dragonfly as well Smile

www.jzky.net a Dragonfly site. cms.jzky.net < test site. - Pardon my bad englsih Wink
My home town

Linux / Apache / PHP Version 5.2.0 /MySQL Version 4.1.21-standard / CMS Version 9.1.1

Hi there

Yes i would love to see this with facebook myspace and twitter as well

it would certainly make alot more sence and easyier for the user

cheers Tim

MySQL Version 5.0.45 PHP Version 5.2.6 apache is 1.3.41 Dragonfly 9.2.1 Windows 7

Yeah I think my members would ADORE this feature!

[ Linux / Apache 2.2.8 / MySQL 5.0.45 / PHP 5.2.6 / CPG 8.2b - 9.3.4.1]

All we need is someone who is good enough to help code it :s

I am willing to pay cash for this module to be done. Would anyone join me in putting some cash together to make this happen?

linux,apache,5.0.11.,5.6.30,9.3.4.1

noair wrote
I am willing to pay cash for this module to be done. Would anyone join me in putting some cash together to make this happen?

Count me in, this is a worthwhile project and I think would be good for Dragonfly.

Linux, Apache 2.0, SQL 5.0.86-log (client: 4.1.22), PHP 5.2.11 DF 9.2.1

Facebook has released new tools and guides to make it easier for developers to get started with Connect.

developers.facebook.co...;story=310

The first is a new tool called the Facebook Connect Wizard, which takes developers through a three step process to get the basic Connect plumbing setup on your website. After entering your site’s URL, you’re given an HTML file to upload to your server, and then you land in a “Social Markup” tutorial (what Facebook is calling XFBML), in what is called the Facebook Connect Playground.

The Facebook Connect Playground contains makes it easy for webmasters and developers to grab code snippets to implement building block elements of Facebook Connect on their sites. For example, the page makes it easy to grab code to implement a login button, profile pictures, names, and friends.

Finally, Facebook has updated the documentation on the main Connect site in order to make Connect’s three value propositions (more traffic, better engagement, higher registration rates) clearer, and to explain the difference between “simple” and “advanced” Facebook Connect implementations.

On the simple side, for example, Facebook says developers can expect the following results:

Share Button

* 2-4% users share
* 3-10 clicks/share

Fan Box Widget

* 5-10% fans click through per post

Live Stream Widget

* +15-20% time on site for users who engage
* +5-15% traffic

Social Comments Widget

* +15-20% comments
* +15-20% registered users

Single Sign On

* 15% increase in registrations

Mike great work. I would like to see this happen so I contacted someone and asked would they code it. They replied back with a very detailed response listed below.

As I don't know or use FB I'm not certain if some of the functions you want will be simple or not - it depends on how their API works. I have had a quick look and this is how I see it:

- Logging in (with first time registration) is possible and should be simple to do.

- Notifications is possible but would need hacks to core code for PM and forums. Not a great way to develop but possible. If DF 10 ever gets released might be able to do this with hooks. Also with a big DF site you might need to limit notifications somehow.

- News feed publication possible if supported by API this it wasn't clear how this would be done. It would work differently depending on which News module you use so either you'd have to use the standard one or it will be more work. Again you might need to limit the amount you push up to FB.

- Data fetch is possible but might become out of sync over time. Also might open yourself to DoS and SPAM attacks and if the user deletes their FB account it won't clean up their DF account. It will still be possible to log in using FB username / password direct on DF. Need to think about the full implications of this.

- Friends difficult as DF does not have friends functions so it isn't clear how this would work. Also not clear how this happens with the API. This part would increase the work a lot I expect since it will need to include friends display and management.

I can't give a sensible quote at this point since your requirements aren't well defined. It would be 100's of dollars (more for the friends bit depending on how it worked).

I am willing to pay for this module and I now have one other person on the team. We need more volunteers. Anyway, there are some questions that need to be answered.

1. What specific information do we want the module to post to FB? Do we want the friend’s component? This will increase the cost of development.

2. What module do we want this information to come from, forms, blogs, ect, ect.

3. What information do we want to limit going to FB?

Me personally I am okay with it just pulling in their information and creating an account if they do not have one on my site. I also would like it to post forum comments to FB. My 2 cents.

Please post your wish list so I can firm up the requirements and get back with the programmer Razz

linux,apache,5.0.11.,5.6.30,9.3.4.1

I'm wondering if someone such as DJ Maze or Nano might be able to help with this?

I think the main data to be posted to FB should be as per my first post:

Facebook users will be able to receive Facebook notifications when:

* There is a reply to their thread or a thread that they're subscribing to
* They receive a new PM

News-Feed will be published on to the user's wall when the user:

* Logs in for the first time
* Replies to a thread
* Creates a new thread

I dont think the friend function is needed as its not a core part of DF, the closest thing we have is the Buddies module.

Mike

Most FB functions like "friends" are provided by FB API it self .. I have the APIs already and reading them slowly slowly to try to figure out who you may use your own website, installed on your own server, within FB ... thats my aim which it goes lot more far then anyone expectations and needs.

In other words you'll have your own users + all your FB friends using your site. Never been written something similar so don't expect its easy to do.

I know already that my project will need a dedicated (DNS?) server to redirect all requests from your FB to your DF so it will also need monthly $$$.

In FB search for DragonflyCMS app Wink ... its there already but as usual no release date available and DON'T EVEN ASK for one.

I believe it going to be a separate version, upgrade/downgrade will also be possible.

However priorities are driving me to code other stuffs then FB.

.:: I met php the 03 December 2003 :: Unforgettable day! ::.

CloudLinux / Apache 2.4 LSAPI / MySQLi 5.6 / PHP 5.6 / DCVS

Hi everyone

I am sending a message to a developer who is in a tight spot due to sadly loosing his mum and needs some $$$ to help..... who can put up what ? at present I have tried to help with $75 anyone else please say .. as this he would be most grateful for any extra help .. I will phone him today and place this offer to him... for facebook connect

He has been a great friend to me, we have been working together on a solo project for the last 18 months and has helped many in the DF community..

best wishes and kindest regards

Tim Station Founder

MySQL Version 5.0.45 PHP Version 5.2.6 apache is 1.3.41 Dragonfly 9.2.1 Windows 7

Ok everyone

Tom has said he will code it but he really needs some dollars to help him... I will pony up a few more... anybody if you can please do and Tom could have this done in a few days....

DF USERNAME IS bulldog500 He is not online at present due to where he is living he has to go to libray... I will keep everyone up-to-date as I Tel call him from the UK

Please make a payment to paypal account brendap405 @ yahoo.com and place a message in here how much you have paid so we can keep track of it...

This will be a massive help for Tom and has said he would be most thankfull for any help

cheers Tim Station Founder Radio Gets Wild

Tim is this Tom who used to code on DFbounty and done modules such as PK_Ads?

I'd love to help him with an offer of money, however i'm not in a position to offer much - $20 at the most for now. But then again, if several people also offer a similar amount then it soon adds up.

If this is the same Tom, then I know he is more than capable of coding this for us. I think the key will be support too.

I've had a go at messing about with the FB API, you can see a basic connection that I've done on one of my site.

If you press the "I agree" without being signed in then you dont get anything, but if you click the "Connect with Facebook" then you will get your pic and username. But this is as far as I've taken it for now. I just wanted to test the API and how it communicates with FB.

www.c2sportsclub.com/Y...b_reg.html

Theres alot to do, like a way to link existing site members with their Facebook login etc.

Regards,
Mike