Miscellaneous ⇒ Server Chat ⇒ [no] Is there a limit to the number of modules you can use? ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum IndexServer Chat

[no] Is there a limit to the number of modules you can use? Reply to topic

I posted about a rather severe problem I've been having. When I try to update block changes, I get a prompt asking me to download admin.php, rather than the page simply refreshing and showing my changes.

It seems uninstalling modules fixes it, and if I have any more than about 21 modules installed at any given time, the problem returns.

Any idea what could be causing this?

Doesn't seem to matter which modules are installed once I go over about 21...

I've tried rebuilding a database from scratch, and it has the same problem... This really sucks.

-Andy

My site

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):
Linux 2.6.24.5/Apache 2.2.9/MySQL 5.0.67/PHP 5.2.6/DragonflyCMS 9.2.1

Hmm.. I don't believe this, but I think I may have ACCIDENTALLY fixed this while trying to PURPOSELY fix it... I have no idea what I did...

My site

hmm interesting i have have 25 modules installed on dizwebdesign.com and have no problems.

Multiple Setups

Must have been something to do with my hosting setup is my best guess. I renamed and removed a few temp directories and config files. Particularly ones I set up when I didn't have a clue what I was doing... So far, so good. Smile

My site

Yeah, I get the same thing - but only sometimes - on my XAMPP dev system. And I can get it on any refresh, although it may only be when I have Blocks Admin open in another browser tab - I'll have to watch out for that. A retry often fixes it, and a restart of XAMPP always does. Haven't a clue what causes it though. It's obviously a very dynamic system, and the problem will occur frequently then go away for a while before returning. But it is relatively recent.

I have always had lots of modules, certainly more than 21 installed. Oh, ... I am at 21 ACTIVE modules ...

Pro_News CM™ - Content Management for Dragonfly CMS™

Linux / 1.3.39 - 2.4.9 / 5.5.42 - 5.6.16 / 5.4.37 - 5.5.11 / 9.4

Well, whatever I fixed, I rebroke while trying to restore it to it's original state. So day 2 of my battle begins...

I suspect it has something to do with the database tables:

cms_module* and/or

cms_blocks*

I'm determined to get it fixed or hose my site trying, so I'll let you know if I find anything out. I have a database backup, but I suspect it is part of the problem so i'll try to avoid using it.

-Andy

My site

It used to be an intermittent problem for me as well, but became permanent awhile back. :/

My site

Well heres a clue for you. any time the server sends a file to be downloaded that should be executed instead it usually has something to do with permissions. I am no expert but it might be a server settings some where a limit on what you can run is reached and instead of executing the script it treats it as a regular file and wants you to download it.

I am just throwing ideas out. I don't even know if this is possible. It does sound plausible tho.

For me i own my server. It sits behind me so i don't have limits as those who use shared hosting does.

Multiple Setups

Thanks, I was sort of suspecting it might be something like that...perhaps with a certain number of blocks and modules, the data sent gets too large for a certain limit or something.

Alternatively it could be related to accumulated junk in cms_modules from having installed and uninstalled so many modules...

After gutting cms_modules, and restoring it from a test database, I seem to have it mostly working... It started messing up again, but then I removed some blocks and readded them, and it's behaving again. Strange...but if it's working I'll just go with it. Was a pain in the butt, had to rebuild my blocks and all.

I think the strangest thing is the intermittent and temperamental nature of the issue.

My host is Dreamhost, just FYI. Just figured I post about it on the off chance it is something in Dragonfly. Sorta curious what host layingback uses?

My site

This is my development system, so XAMPP on Ubuntu Linux 9.10. (Yeah, yeah, I know, I don't need to run XAMPP on Linux when I could load a native LAMP stack - but I like being able to boot it when I need it, close it, and restart it at will with 1 button.)

Pro_News CM™ - Content Management for Dragonfly CMS™

Linux / 1.3.39 - 2.4.9 / 5.5.42 - 5.6.16 / 5.4.37 - 5.5.11 / 9.4