Support ⇒ Modules & Blocks ⇒ Tapatalk? ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum IndexModules & Blocks

Tapatalk? Reply to topic

Go to page Previous 1, 2, 3

There has been discussion on their forums about this very thing.
They are actually happy for other developers to write their own phone apps based around their API, so as far as the API code that we use - it's completely open.

support.tapatalk.com/t...-api.6344/

You may not be able to read this without a tapatalk login. Not sure.
But basically:

Thanks - we admit we don't have a very clear rules but the bottom line is you are free to use the API / plugin the way you want it to. We will also publish the source code (open source one like phpBB) to Github so everyone can fork it from there.

Test Signature

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):

I have Responsive Themes That will be available in a couple of weeks.
They make all of your site mobile friendly.
Including your Forums etc.

I looked over the tapatalk API

I think that spending 30 bucks per site and each user has to
spend a couple of bucks. Amounts to over a Thousand dollars for a site
with 500 members. And Only your Forum is available. Aside that some security issues were reported with the tapatalk api.
As well as the major time to re-code DF core with a plugin.

I am using Chrome browser with ripple plugin for testing and
It looks very Good on all of site. With all chromes built in devices.

Now to end up with the look like tapatalk Just a few templates
And you will have that "Speed Button" Look and functionality
for Small Mobile devices. For the whole site.

There are no site costs unless you want to use a customised app, and if you have android, the convo app (tapatalk compatible) is free.

Where did you find security issues with the API?

Edit: I've done some searching, and I see what you have found. However, these security issues are all OLD, and the tapatalk team seem pretty responsive to fixing them when reported properly.

But the most important part is that the vulnerabilities are all in the plugins, not the framework. The plugin for CPG-BB is being written so far mostly by nano, with some help here and there from me. The code is also available on google code for anyone to look at, so hopefully if there are vulnerabilities found, someone will speak up.

There was also an issue with the app storing passwords in plain text on the device, but this has also since been fixed.

Test Signature

A simple google search "tapatalk security"

Unfortunately tapatalk has not submitted their application to the MOD database on phpbb and they have not been verified. In the last years there have been a lot of security issues with this modification and big sites like the Android development site have removed it for security reasons.

Read
PHPbb Related Issues

Their are a lot more

As I said.. if you do some further reading, these have been fixed.
And more importantly, these are issues with the plugins that these forum users just download and install.

A plugin needs to be written for CPG-Nuke, so it's comlpetely different.

Test Signature

Further to this again... two of the major forums reporting these issues:

xda-developers
androidforums

Are both currently listed and active in the tapatalk directory. I tested them both to be working.

Test Signature

Issues are still being posted as early as july 2012

tapatalk provides the phpbb app. And if they haven't got it approved I can only guess Why ?

However Nano is great on security issues and I'm sure his part will do
very well.

Check the issues posted in July then, and then check tapatalk forum.
I have not found one yet that has not been fixed.

ALL the plugin code is open source - so any issues can be fixed if there really is a problem.

From what I have seen, it has not been approved because nobody has submitted it, and your quote above seems to agree.
Can't say why it's not been submitted. Irrelevent though, as we don't need the phpBB plugin, and having it in the phpBB MOD database is not going to help us.

I think it's great that people are looking to do the same via skins/templates. I still think tapatalk has it's place and more options can only be better in my opinion.

Test Signature

Wilders Security Forums Has 2 posts reviewing TapaTalks code architecture.

Basic review of the API July 16th, 2011, 10:36 AM

Recent Followup August 26th, 2012, 02:53 PM

Did you actually read these links?

There is no actual vulnerability listed.
It talks about duplicated code being the issue in that you have more code exposed to the internet. The same can be said for any module that you add to any website. By that reasoning, we should go back to static HTML and avoid the security pitfalls that having dynamic code introduces.

It's a bit silly in my opinion. Besides, the API could be written to use existing functions from the core of the forum software anyway, so the whole thing does not need to be duplicated.

Every website has their own opinion, and every site is free to decide whether they install an addon. Opinion should not decide whether the module should be built though. If there were genuine security concerns about the framework itself, or the app on the phone (such as the previous password storage issues) I'd be the first to say it shouldn't be used.
But vulerabilities in the plugins for forums that are irrelevent to us should not even come into our consideration.

Test Signature

I don't like too much tapatalk, but I think that can be a good idea a integration between Dragonfly forums and Tapatalk.

Some people ask me in my site for this integration. Not only one or two.

Aforo - Google Earth - WebNaranja - DFcms.es

Centos 5/Apache 2.2.3/MySQL:5.0.45/PHP:5.2.10 /9.2

Sure, not to drag up a dead horse, but Tapatalk is often requested by our members, simply because its an app they know and enjoy on other forums.

2.6.18-164.11.1.el5xen/2.2.13/5.0.89-community-log/5.2.11/9.3.3.0

Apparently its free now too.

Tapatalk now supports Kunena 3, Vanilla 2.1 and vBulletin 5

We're happy to announce that Tapatalk now supports Kunena 3, Vanilla 2.1 and vBulletin 5. Together with MyBB, xenForo, IPBoard, phpBB, SMF, bbPress and legacy vBulletin and Kunena, over 60,000 internet communities has activated Tapatalk.

I think nanocaiordo ran into some issues with this module that were not going to be easy to work around, so this may never happen.

I've converted one of my websites away from Dragonfly because I was sick of smartphone users double/triple posting. They now use Tapatalk via a CMS with PHPBB3 integration.
The other reason I converted was because I thought DF was dead after the website was down for a while Laughing

My main website is still DF.

Test Signature

Yup, Tapatalk is awesome, we use it all the time on PHPBB3 .