Miscellaneous ⇒ Server Chat ⇒ Site using too many resources ⇒ Community Forums ⇒ CPG Dragonfly™ CMS
Forum IndexServer Chat

Site using too many resources Reply to topic

My site has just been suspended for using too many resources. I've not changed anything (haven't got round to upgrading to latest version yet) so nothing has changed. Is this my problem or their problem?

After some recent problems with the server milton.site5.com we found that your site chantillyexpat.com is causing those problems due to your site's resource usage. Your site is using too many system resources (CPU and Memory) for shared hosting. With shared hosting you are sharing the hardware resources with other people and unfortunately your site is using more than it's fair share. Unfortunately this means that your site is going to need dedicated hardware resources.

Here is a summary of your CPU and memory usage on your account over the past 24 hours:

CPU: 28.52%
MEM: 0.18%

We believe the processes shown below are responsible for this level of resource usage, please keep in mind if you run a dynamic site off WordPress or another script it might just show index.php which is the primary file that runs the entire site:

-----------------------
Top Process %CPU 186 /usr/bin/php /home/user/public_html/index.php
Top Process %CPU 169 /usr/bin/php /home/user/public_html/index.php
Top Process %CPU 139 /usr/bin/php /home/user/public_html/index.php
-----------------------

Server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS):

Quite clearly the problem is yours - they have nailed you quite specifically and 28% of CPU over 24 hours is very high.

It's now up to you to work out what was hammering your site and you'll have to examine your server stats to work that out.

Check, or ask them to check, your access logs.
Then if you have been hammered, you may think to upgrade and turn security flooding on which is a lot more stable in latest version.

Your footer is missing of page generation and memory usage, however calendar could be the issue.

Keep us posted.

.:: I met php the 03 December 2003 :: Unforgettable day! ::.

CloudLinux / Apache 2.4 LSAPI / MySQLi 5.7 / PHP 7.3 / head

Hmm, something's changed. A few hours ago the times for Pro_News MySQL accesses were higher than I would expect by a factor of 5 or so, now they are very, very low.

EDIT: And this morning it's back to slow again ...

Pro_News CM™ - Content Management for Dragonfly CMS™

Linux / 1.3.39 - 2.4.9 / 5.5.42 - 5.6.16 / 5.4.37 - 5.5.11 / 9.4

layingback wrote
Hmm, something's changed. A few hours ago the times for Pro_News MySQL accesses were higher than I would expect by a factor of 5 or so, now they are very, very low.

EDIT: And this morning it's back to slow again ...

Is that a server change or something else?

Inspect server logs or at least install ip tracker Wink

My host tells me just today that the following IPs have visited (along with the number of visits), giving me high usage today too. The second one is a Bing bot. Would flood control help - or the latest DF?

762 123.126.50.67
614 157.55.116.16
515 88.88.135.104
326 91.85.216.55
318 66.249.71.218
238 157.55.39.90
162 125.168.1.17
118 46.165.197.141
46 94.228.34.224
31 90.58.50.135

yes flood control helps. Updating to latest version is always good. Flood Control has been improved in 9.3 i believe.

see if you cant get the user string for the bots not following robots.txt.
Make sure your robots txt is still there to. Might have been accidentally deleted or something.

Multiple Setups

Looking at my AWStats 88% of hits get a 404 file not found or a 403 forbidden response. Most of the 404s are malformed URLs. I presume these are all bots. It reports the bot access (top three) as this (the + number is how many times robots.txt is found:

Unknown robot (identified by 'spider') 223,543+489 2.88 GB 30 Oct 2011 - 07:11
MSNBot 114,652+68 1.34 GB 30 Oct 2011 - 07:11
Yahoo Slurp 102,020+119 1.19 GB 30 Oct 2011 - 05:48

which is pretty massive! I'll try and update to the latest version this week and then see if it makes any difference...

if Flood filter isnt enough, check/Use Cloudflare.com and you're done.

Works like a charm with Dragon Fly, but if you may have OLD modules or installed: On cmsinit (at the begging), so OLD modules and blocks get the real IP (DragonFly core fuctions are fine and they detect the real ip :l33t: )

$_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] = isset($_SERVER["HTTP_CF_CONNECTING_IP"]) ? $_SERVER["HTTP_CF_CONNECTING_IP"] : $_SERVER["REMOTE_ADDR"];

www.greenday2k.net

maybe something like this would help

if (ISBOT && get_cpu_usage() > X) { header('503 Service Unavailable'); header('Retry-After: 600'); exit; }

Note: ISBOT and get_cpu_usage() doesn't really exists in df ...

none available

Back to the issue.

Reading logs is not an easy task, also knowing what to look for is always a variable.

Install IP Tracker, let it run at least till next slow down and then we'll look into it.

Right, have upgraded to the latest version and have flooding turned on (as it was before). I have installed IP tracker. Now what do I do with the information it gives me?

Incidentally I note that Baidu has been tracked already, and yet my robots text has the lines:

User-agent: Baidu
Disallow: /

Is it just a very naughty bot? Wink

Am still trying to block Baidu but it's ignoring robots.txt. I have banned the range 220.181.108.1 - 220.181.108.255. Does anyone else have a decent blocking range for chinese IP addresses? They feature heavily on IPTracker and I'm told my site is still using too many resources.

Using phpmyadmin, in table cms_security_agents:
- find the Baidu bot entry
- change the agent_ban field to -1

Yandex is also another useless Russian bot that consumes resources.
In the same table, find the YANDEX bot:
- change the agent_ban field to -1

Now wait for their session to finish or remove their entries from your session table.